Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bullet weight do you favor? Which is most accurate in your pistol? Reliable? Do you shoot factory or reload?

I don't own a 9MM and the SR9 is moving up my "Got to Have" list so thought I'd gather some info.

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jay1958

Personally, I prefer the 124-gr for SD and the 115-gr for target rounds... I don't want to get into 'bullet size debates', and I am no expert, but in general I don't hear good things about the 147-gr bullets.
Soon I'll be reloading for my first 9, a KP89. I'll be shooting 115 JHP and FMJ and 124 JHP. The writer Chuck Hawkes CONDEMNS ALL 9mm 147 grain bullets. Not all of the opinions I've read on the 147 have been that condemnatory. I like midweight slugs.......light enough to be driven at respectable velocity, but heavy enough to retain energy and deliver some "punch". For me, the midweight loadings are a perfect blend of weight and velocity. And, AFAIK, the 9mm Luger cartridge was designed for a 115 grainer.

·
Super Moderator
21,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats about what I figured. It seems most calibers work well at about the mid-range of available bullet weights.

I have a lot of free brass in 9MM available so I could probably save a few buck reloading but thats pretty laughable when you think I would first need to buy a firearm, dies and bullets. It's just the SR9 is moving up the list. We'll see what the New Year brings.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by poncaguy

you need to get us a chrony kansas45........[8D]
Guess I'll have to, since you didn't get me one for Christmas, scroogeguy. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Taurus_9mm

124 gr. Gold Dots for self-defense and 115 gr. Blazer (brass or aluminum) Sometimes 115 gr. Winchester White Box as well.
The GD 124s get a good rating from LE people. I've read that the Win WB are pretty good too.

·
Super Moderator
21,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[[/quote]I plan on buying Power Pistol..... .never used it before but read up on it.
[/quote]

I really like it in the 40 S&W as it is really accurate. I read somewhere that is was developed specifically for that caliber but I have used it from 38 Spl to 45 ACP. It meters well and burns clean. The only pistol powder that I use more of is Blue Dot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts