Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guts just bought me a nice SS P89 with original case, instruction booklet, mags,test round and such. Currently it has the original factory grips. I have not take possession of it yet but will have it by Friday. I am curious as to any aftermarket grips out there I might want to try. I have used Hogue grips in the past and noticed they have grips for this pistol with finger groves similar to what I have on other pistols in my collection. I do know that aftermarket is not always better than OEM especially with big hands. Opinions and advice welcome.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had the Hogue grips on my P 90, P 89, and P93.
Did not like them due to the finger grooves not really matching up with my fingers.
Also they do increase the grip width more than I liked.
So why did I put them on all 3?
Well you all know the we are, "maybe I will like them better on a different pistol".

·
Paw Paw
90 Posts
I have several P 89's. I like the factory grips, I do use the Hogue with the finger grooves on one pistol. Its a winner no doubt. Everybody has different sized hands. Those Hogues are cheap enough to go for it. If it doesnt fit someone here will buy it from you. Good luck, Fantastic handguns for sure.

Dave

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Every P series I own that has removable grip panels has the Houge wrap around rubber grips ...

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I found the factory plastic panels a little too slick. The Hogue was a better texture, but felt too big in my hands.

The best option for me are the Uncle Mike's rubber grip panels. They've been out of production for a while, but they still show up as new, old stock on the auction sites.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,767 Posts
Im with the guys above. have hogue wrap arounds on my 85,89s,90,91,93,94,944. I have the hogue slip on, on my 95s,97,and 345. Its the best feeling to me.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
"The Real Deal"
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guts just bought me a nice SS P89 with original case, instruction booklet, mags,test round and such. Currently it has the original factory grips. I have not take possession of it yet but will have it by Friday. I am curious as to any aftermarket grips out there I might want to try. I have used Hogue grips in the past and noticed they have grips for this pistol with finger groves similar to what I have on other pistols in my collection. I do know that aftermarket is not always better than OEM especially with big hands. Opinions and advice welcome.
I ended up just putting grip tape on my P89 and I like it a lot. Minimal size change, but a much more secure grip. I could not find anything pre-cut so I purchased an 8.5 x 11" sheet of rubber texture tape off Ebay from Boo Dads. Took me a few attempts to make a pattern template that I liked, but once I did I just traced the it onto the tape and it was simple to install with a heat gun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The best option for me are the Uncle Mike's rubber grip panels. They've been out of production for a while, but they still show up as new, old stock on the auction sites.
I have a set of those on my S&W 669. I'd love to find a pair for my P89.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wish I could get a set of the Uncle Mikes. That said I do not see them anywhere. All I see are mostly rubber Hogues and a couple pachmayrs. (spelling:) No wood for me on this type of pistol.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
When I was looking, I set up a saved search on eBay and GunBroker for "Uncle Mike Ruger" and eventually I got a lead on as many sets as I wanted. Now I just need a KP91DC to go in the last set.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I was looking, I set up a saved search on eBay and GunBroker for "Uncle Mike Ruger" and eventually I got a lead on as many sets as I wanted. Now I just need a KP91DC to go in the last set.
Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately NO Uncle Mikes!

·
Registered
541 Posts
While I initially preferred the Craig Spegel-designed Uncle Mikes grips on my P89, and had several for the long term, what I discovered was that after time and probably solvent exposure the retaining tabs would deteriorate, inducing grip slippage in the frame. I switched to the Hogue finger groove model as well as having my OEM Xenoy grips sandblasted and treated with mneral oil.

Both work well, but the Hogue rubber fingergroove I've concluded is the best overall for operability and comfort.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately NO Uncle Mikes!
I think my search was more like 3 months before I found all I needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts