Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,157 Posts
Woodsey495, The Kimber 22 LR conversion kit should work with a SR1911 9mm. It works fine on my SR1911 45 ACP. There are other conversion kits that sell for less money and are probably just as good. In fact you can buy a complete 22 LR 1911 for less than what I paid for the Kimber kit. Here's a link: https://www.americantactical.us/catalyst.aspx?st=11020&e=detail&prodid=76

I have a Colt Ace Conversion kit on a GI 1911 frame that works well and does lock back after the last round fires but the Colt units are pretty pricy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've never met anyone who actually owns a Kimber to dislike it. My wife and I currently own 7, ranging from .380 ACP to 45 ACP. Each serves a different purpose, and all excel for their purpose. Beautiful, comfortable, and above all else, dependable. I think the haters are more like a Chevy vs Mopar vs Ford kind of thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
I've never owned a Kimber pistol but based on the quality of the Kimber rifles I've owned I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their pistols. The purists poo poo them because they're not OG 1911's. If they're not a series 70 they're somehow inferior. Sig suffers the same condemnation. It doesn't matter that Kimber and Sig are quality 1911s. They're different and, as we all know, different is bad.

The only consistent criticism I've heard about Kimber is their magazines aren't great. So what? According to conventional wisdom any 1911 magazine not made by Wilson Combat, Les Baer or CMC is junk. That hasn't been my experience though. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with a 1911 magazine of any origin, including some old beater GI magazines.

There's a few Kimber 1911's that interest me but I haven't yet bought one. I might someday. For now I'm content with my other 1911's.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My Kimber is so old that it is a Custom (without the II). It has been a great gun and I occasionally think about another but then hear all the interweb stuff about "friends not letting friends buy Kimbers". Have they suffered in quality or is it just 'my brand is better than your brand' rivalry? I can't say that I have heard anything negative from anyone I actually know to have owned one of the newer ones.

Bruce
Mine was the original custom (without the II but the stainless version). I have shot several Kimbers since then and thought they were just as good. The "chatter" is just that. Kimber changed how 1911's were assembled. Read about the birth of their 1911 division and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My All Time Favorite Kimber?

That would have to be my Kimber Solo that wouldn't feed anything except 147gr. FMJ ammo.

My two favorite days of owning that one?
The day I bought it and the day I sold it.

My second most favorite Kimber was my RCP. Once I got all of the Kimber Rust off of the under side of the slide and had it cerakoted it was a nice little pocket 1911.

I'm not a Kimber hater, not that guy at all.
I read that lots of folks are happy with theirs and I'm happy for them.

I'd like to try a K6S but I'm just more than a little gun shy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A friend of mine has a Kimber .45, I use to tease him because for some reason I could shoot 3" - 4" groups right handed, but shooting from my weak hand could half those numbers. He was left handed, and I told him he must have wore a pattern in the slide for left handed recoil or something. We had fun joking about it, but I always left the range with a little envy, it is a really nice firearm!

·
Registered
11 Posts
aegis.jpg I have a Custom 2 that I run hard at the range often and is very accurate but my favorite is my aegis Elite Pro. It is a new manufactured series 70 with no firing pin safety.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts