Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's kind of like asking someone to name their favorite child, but does anyone else out there have a favorite pet?

I grew up with dogs, cats, fish, hermit crabs, mice, hamsters... All the regular stuff. I had friends with guinea pigs, ferrets, snakes and even a former boss who had a really cool horse.

But my all time favorite was the last dog I had, Ezekiel. I never intended to adopt him, yet he wound up riding home with my daughter and me one day and the rest, as they say, was history.

He was severly neglected and really underweight when I got him. I think he weighed 80 pounds when I took him home, and that was only after he'd put on 20 pounds at the rescue shelter. I eventually got him up to about 115 pounds and he was truly the single greatest dog I've ever been associated with.
For such a big guy, he was as gentle as they come, and I would never hesitate for even a second to leave him with kids. As a matter of fact he loved children, and when we were out on walks would never pull on the lead, unless there was a little one nearby to play with.

He's no longer with us, but I think about him all the time.

This last one is my favorite picture of him. That rediculous dog LOVED the snow!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Nothing against cats, but we are dog people and have been all our lives. Seems like the world is divided between folks that prefer cats and those that prefer dogs.

Here's our baby at 1, now a year older.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I love dogs. Your dog looked like a great one Chanaski. So does yours NCG. I live in town so as to the type of dog I can have it generally should be a smaller breed. That being said we have two dogs; one is a Bichon Frise and the other is a Morkie (cross between a Maltese & a Yorkie). I love them both and they are certainly members of our family. If I lived in a rural location we would have one of the larger breeds also but as it is I'm thankful that I have these two guys. Will you be getting another dog Chanaski?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Since I'm kind of a square peg in a round hole most everywhere I can only let you draw your own conclusions....we are on a fixed income so we have to do our own pet grooming.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@North country gal: What breed of dog is that? (S)He's a looker!

@Hornet: Not in the forseeable future. Unfortunately, when Exekiel left, we somehow started accumulating more cats.:rolleyes:
Since large dogs and multiple cats don't always mix, the canine companion is on indefinite hold. Maybe I'll get a new guy someday.

@Opos: Wow! I just don't know what to say to that. So many things come to mind, but this is a family forum...:D
I will say that your cat looks THRILLED!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Boxer, Love the craziness of the breed!

·
Registered
644 Posts
We have three dogs, all rescues. One from Utah, one from Kuwait, and the other locally who was being abused that just got turned over to us after the abuse case was over. But, easy to say, my favorite is the Utah rescue, Jude, the original. Border Collie/German Pointer mix, poor guy gets so confused when he gets excited, doesn't know if he should point or herd! Smarter than most kids I know, and loyal to a fault. Does anything I tell him and trusts me no matter what.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My wife and I love all kinds of animals. We have 2 ferrets, 9 cats and up until this morning, a German Shepherd. A few weeks ago she became ill and this morning, we lost her after she had a seizure. Nikki was my buddy, my friend and a super dog.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Here's my baby girl Jesse. She's a stray that found us last Sept. 11th.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve, I'm so sorry for your loss.
It's always so hard to lose a pet.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
@North country gal: What breed of dog is that? (S)He's a looker!
His name is Patch and he is pureblooded English Setter from strong northwoods grouse hunting stock. Very first day we brought him home as a pup, 3 months old, I let him out in the yard to pee, but, instead he made a beeline for the woods to start hunting, quartering and all, charging through the brush, following his nose. He's proven to be the sweetest tempered, easiest to train bird dog I've ever owned. He is my baby.

All these dogs you folks have posted just warm my heart. Thank-you all for sharing.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I like dogs but they do not fit in with my lifestyle.
We have a cat we adopted from the shelter and she's my pal. She follows us around the house, loves attention, likes to sleep on my lap during cold weather days. Like a dog might do, she always greets me at the door when I come home.

Nice thing about a cat is you provide food, water, and a litter box, then get on the Harley and be gone for the day with no problems.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
We have three dogs, all rescues. One from Utah, one from Kuwait, and the other locally who was being abused that just got turned over to us after the abuse case was over. But, easy to say, my favorite is the Utah rescue, Jude, the original. Border Collie/German Pointer mix, poor guy gets so confused when he gets excited, doesn't know if he should point or herd! Smarter than most kids I know, and loyal to a fault. Does anything I tell him and trusts me no matter what.

All rescues? Good for you!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Since I'm kind of a square peg in a round hole most everywhere I can only let you draw your own conclusions....we are on a fixed income so we have to do our own pet grooming.
That cat is ticked... LOL! I love it!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
My wife and I love all kinds of animals. We have 2 ferrets, 9 cats and up until this morning, a German Shepherd. A few weeks ago she became ill and this morning, we lost her after she had a seizure. Nikki was my buddy, my friend and a super dog.

Steve, I'm sorry for your loss. Having gone through this many times I can say with conviction that I know how you feel. It's tough and takes a while to come to grips with the fact that your close friend is no longer around. I can tell from the photo that your buddy was loved and well cared for. I have thought on many occasions how sad it is that our pets are here for such a short time. Take care my friend.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Here's a shot of Jack, our Puggle (Pug/Beagle mix, but he's mostly Pug) that I took this morning while trying out some new studio lighting equipment. It's hard to imagine what the house would be like without his snorting and sneezing. For such a small little animal, he sure makes a lot of noise. We call him shadow because he follows us everywhere... It's fun to just stop walking in the hallway and feel his little flat face smack you in the back of the leg. Stupid dog.

We love him though and I wouldn't take any amount of money in the world for him.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Here's a shot of Jack, our Puggle (Pug/Beagle mix, but he's mostly Pug) that I took this morning while trying out some new studio lighting equipment. It's hard to imagine what the house would be like without his snorting and sneezing. For such a small little animal, he sure makes a lot of noise. We call him shadow because he follows us everywhere... It's fun to just stop walking in the hallway and feel his little flat face smack you in the back of the leg. Stupid dog.

We love him though and I wouldn't take any amount of money in the world for him.

He's a great looking dog.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice pics gang!

This is Carl, found him under a bush at a park. GREAT friend!

And this is Jerry. Not really a pet, but he stops in once in a while. We have food and water for him all the time. He's tons of fun too.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts