Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite tasting wild game meat? For me it is pretty hard to beat Pheasant or Duck! As much as it surprises me, as I'm a hardcore big-game hunter, I'd choose those two over everything else!:eek:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Pheasant is my all time favorite but after hunting wild boar (a young one) has to be a close second !!

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Pheasant here too. I would like to try some Prairie Chicken sometime though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bobwhite quail and elk for me, followed by phesant and venison....Robin

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have had some fall black bear that is pretty rank. I have shot two spring bears and both have been some of the best meat I have ever eaten.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Sharptail Grouse with mushroom gravy, buttermilk buiscuits, some home grown squash, and a good Merlot---MMMMMMM

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Back in my twenties, I knew a girl that was pretty wild, and she was always game.............:D.................now back to our regularly scheduled program........

I've tried it soaked, salted, and every other way. I honestly haven't ever eaten any wild game that I preferred over commercial meat. Best I've tried was maybe some fried rattlesnake in Texas.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had an elk burger once and that was good but I have to go with the pheasant as my favorite. That reminds me I need to get a good over under and start pheasant hunting.

I don't care for squirrel or duck. I would love to try wild boar.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I grew up eating a lot of venison, so I would have to say that's my favorite. I've had it ten thousand different ways and have never not liked what I was eating. That being said, I do love quail as well. There's a diner about 40 minutes from me in Summerton, SC (Summerton Diner for all you Carolinians) and they have a fried quail breakfast with sunny-side-up eggs, potatoes and biscuits and it's to die for. A little hot sauce? You bet!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes I forgot Bobwhite ,quit hunting them a few years ago. They are good ,too many Turkey around now. Not a Duck lover you know the old saying "The best way to cook a duck in nail it to a pine board , cook it then throw the Duck away and eat the board .....

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I rarely buy beef and eat venison. Properly cared for venison is tough to beat, tender and no gamey flavor. Definitely my favorite. I'll eat duck but want it with bacon, roasted turkey is good provided it isn't overcooked and wild hog has a surprisingly mild flavor to it. I also eat a lot of fish and usually order fish at a restaurant.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts