Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Semi auto

Votes: 18 9.5%
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen everbody has a favourite action for a deer rifle be it bolt,semi,lever,or pump action...so whats yours for an all rounder if you could have only one deer rifle?.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I voted bolt with lever being a close second.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Only one for deer? Easy, my Marlin 336C in 35 Remington.

Thankfully I have more than one deer rifle though - in 30-30, 32 Win Special, and 44 Mag. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bolt action, but I prefer leverguns.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Only one for deer? Easy, my Marlin 336C in 35 Remington.

Thankfully I have more than one deer rifle though - in 30-30, 32 Win Special, and 44 Mag. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bolt action, but I prefer leverguns.
I KNOW what you mean....it was a hard choice i did love my 336c before i switched but my Browning x-bolt got the nod as it just has the wood on my lever at a distance should a relatively long shot present itself....that could also be due to calibers as bolts have a lot more variety.I would say as a bush gun a lever and for more open areas a bolt...... but as we are only picking one the bolt gets my vote as an all rounder.;).

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
If I hunted, I would use a bolt action.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only one I haven't used for deer is a pump action rifle. Too bad single shots didn't make the list.
Good point John...i have used singles in the past i apologize to the singles shooters out there and mods is there any way at this point to add single shot rifles to the poll?.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Up here in the north woods, where you're rarely shoot at 100 yards and even fifty yards can be a long shot, a deer rifle IS a lever rifle, either a Marlin or a Winchester, with a Savage 99, now and then. We also see a lot of old Remington pumps and a few autos. Very traditional eastern deer rifles, in other words.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
MY bolt action .308 is a good all around caliber for all varmints 4 or 2 legged.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The only one I haven't used for deer is a pump action rifle. Too bad single shots didn't make the list.
Good point John...i have used singles in the past i apologize to the singles shooters out there and mods is there any way at this point to add single shot rifles to the poll?.
If single shots were on the list my choice would have been more difficult I love my Ruger #3 also

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I voted for bolt action. Would like to get into hunting soon. I prefer a 308 in bolt action but a nice lever action rfle is a close 2nd.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I couldn't vote. You left out single shot.

I hunted for many years with a Savage 24V .30-30/20 ga. and now (when I do) a self customized H&R Handi in .357.

·
Super Moderator
21,710 Posts
Scoped bolt action rifle either my Ruger M77 all weather 270 or Remington Model 700 30/06.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I currently use a Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine in .308. I really like them for a bunch of reasons.
WIFE uses a Ruger 44 magnum Carbine (semi-auto) and likes it too.

That said I am looking at a Model 77/44 mag bolt action. That round is legal here in Indiana while my .308 is not.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mods is there any way at this point to add single shot rifles to the poll?.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts