Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed a little time outdoors on my deck this afternoon. We have had Rose-breasted Grosbeaks visiting our feeders as they migrate through our area. They will be gone soon so I wanted to photograph them. Many of our regulars were out too, but only the hummingbird, tufted titmouse, and a couple of others sat still long enough to get their pictures taken. The squirrel had heart failure when he saw me. Lucky for him he only got shot with a camera!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ngashooter: enjoyed the photos. Those little fluttery things are not always easy to photograph.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ngashooter: enjoyed the photos. Those little fluttery things are not always easy to photograph.
Thank goodness for digital photography! Half the images have the wildlife moving or gone by the time the shutter releases. I can shoot lots of images and then delete the ones where the subject is blurred or out of focus. Things were more difficult and expensive working with film.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Good shots! One year I took video of the hummer feeders on the deck when they were migrating South. That year we must have had around 50 and the feeders were worse than California freeways at rush hour. They're sure fun to watch.

·
Exchequer
4,357 Posts
Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

With the decrease in traffic / driving and most people staying home, I've noticed a lot more wildlife in my backyard. I'm not a birder, but I do enjoy sipping a cocktail under a shade tree in my yard and watching the birds and butterflies that visit.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

With the decrease in traffic / driving and most people staying home, I've noticed a lot more wildlife in my backyard. I'm not a birder, but I do enjoy sipping a cocktail under a shade tree in my yard and watching the birds and butterflies that visit.
I came to birdwatching by being a hunter and fisherman. Both of those pastimes offer significant periods of time when nothing is happening. Watching birds and other creatures keeps me alert and engaged. I wanted to know what I was seeing, so I would look up and identify the species. Now I just enjoy watching and photographing birds on its own merit.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Thank-you much for posting and nice work with the camera. I really miss feeding birds in the spring and summer months, but we learned the hard way the first year we moved up here in the north woods, that feeding birds in the spring is a bear problem waiting to happen. This guy was grouchy and stubborn after we took down "his" feeders after his first visit. He came back a couple of times and refused to leave until we fired some shots in the air.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice shooting. I'm not sure how you were able to get those photos. I know it took patience.
My home is on a hillside backed up to hardwoods. My deck is 20' in the air. It puts me level with the tree limbs where the birds perch. My wife puts out premium feed, suet, and little cups of " bird crack " from Wild Birds Unlimited that draws many species.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good shots! One year I took video of the hummer feeders on the deck when they were migrating South. That year we must have had around 50 and the feeders were worse than California freeways at rush hour. They're sure fun to watch.
We get the Ruby Throat Hummingbirds here during the warm weather months. They are beautiful and amazing creatures. The way the males jealously guard the feeder is hilarious. They don't like to share. The females work in teams. One will get the male to chase her while the other gets a drink of nectar. I'm amazed that a bird the size of my thumb can migrate to Mexico for the winter. How is it possible that something with a brain the size of a BB can remember where you had the feeder last summer? If you have moved it you can see them looking for it in the old location upon their return. Truly astounding creatures!

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank-you much for posting and nice work with the camera. I really miss feeding birds in the spring and summer months, but we learned the hard way the first year we moved up here in the north woods, that feeding birds in the spring is a bear problem waiting to happen. This guy was grouchy and stubborn after we took down "his" feeders after his first visit. He came back a couple of times and refused to leave until we fired some shots in the air.

Thank you for the compliment, but modern cameras are so easy to use even an amateur like me can take good pictures. We have lots of black bears in my home county, but I have been fortunate to have never had a problem. My trash was only ransacked one time in the years I have lived here. The west side of our county is mountainous and the homes up there have many more encounters, My sister lives about six miles away and they have seen huge bears on their property. One smashed a 6' chain link fence and carried off a goat from their pen. I enjoy the beauty of my little, colorful, bird buddies.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Nice shooting. I'm not sure how you were able to get those photos. I know it took patience.
Yeah, don't leave us hanging. What size lens? Tripod mounted? Remote device to snap the shot? Details, man. Details.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, don't leave us hanging. What size lens? Tripod mounted? Remote device to snap the shot? Details, man. Details.
My camera is not that fancy. It's not even a DSLR. It fits in the "Bridge Camera" category in that it bridges the gap between point and shoot cameras and DSLR's. I've had it for a year and a half now (The wife gave it to me as a Christmas gift). It's a Panasonic Lumix FZ80. It has auto focus, 60x zoom, and built in flash. It has several intelligent auto modes, and will shoot 4k video. I think Amazon was selling the kit with a case, cable, SD card , and battery for about $300.00. All these pics were taken hand held while sitting in a chair on my back deck.I upload them to my laptop and manipulate the image with the Windows photo software to crop and adjust brightness, color saturation, and contrast. Easy and simple. Even a caveman can do it!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thank goodness for digital photography! Half the images have the wildlife moving or gone by the time the shutter releases. I can shoot lots of images and then delete the ones where the subject is blurred or out of focus. Things were more difficult and expensive working with film.
Yeah, the old saying that a photography class teacher told us over 47 years ago is even more true today (since, as you pointed out, you can really be selective with digital photos)... "The difference between a photographer and a good photographer is that the good photographer only shows you his great pictures."

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Plus one on the Panasonic Lumix. I have an older FZ50 that only goes up to 12x, but it takes super pictures and just refuses to die or give me any issues. Great camera with a great lens (Leica).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts