Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you shoot .45 Colt and you don't reload, you take what you can get. I saw a box of Federal AE 225 gr JSP at my LGS (a true box of 50; how refreshing) and I bought it, at $34. It's 50 rounds of something. The ballistics are pretty tame -- 850 fps for 370 ft lbs.

Maybe I've been spoiled by good .45 ACP, moving from 900-1000 fps, but I like loads that generate at least 475 ft lbs. 500 is even better. (This makes me wonder how much it 'takes' for a round to be effective. I know -- 'not much,' if you put it in the right place). But why would an ammo giant like Federal load a JSP bullet that barely moves faster than I could throw a rock...? For show? It's certainly not going to expand, and at that speed, it doesn't even need a jacket to prevent leading. Weird. But it looks cool.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Major ammo companies have to be aware that someone may purchase that ammo for great-grandfathers SAA, so they load to SAMMI specs.

[email protected] sounds like [email protected] (+/- 5, IIRC), which is the standard 45ACP load so, yes you are spoiled by the hotter loads. Plus, a semi will have more percieved recoil than a revolver since most revolvers are heavier and semi's have the slide mass whipping around on the top of the gun. I was struck by that the first time I fired a Smith 1955 Target model and 1911 side by side using the same load.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. I'm surprised to hear the similarity to ACP is so close. You're right though, it never felt close. I also shot ACP +P much of the time.

I'll give this Federal load one thing: if it were a SWC, it would have a great meplat. It's wider than the Remington LSWC I considered loading it with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts