Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at the range today where I shot a coupla hundred rounds of AutoMatch with my 10/22. As is normal for my 10/22, there were no jams or hiccups of any kind.

I got to thinking a little, though, about AutoMated. Prior to the Great Panic/Shortage of 2012, I never shot the stuff. If I bought Federal .22lr, it was either American Eagle 500 round bricks or the blue 525 Value Packs. I just couldn't see paying a lot for a 325 round box of AutoMatch.

Not long after that, I didn't have much choice. For some reason AutoMatch was often all that was available. So I started buying it, shooting it- and liking it. No, it's not "match" ammo, despite the name. But it shoots cleanly, reliably and acceptably accurately for my purposes.

Sure, I'd rather be shooting Mini-mags, or even $.04 a round bulk ammo, but AutoMatch has grown on me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
AutoMatch has been my second choice (to MiniMag 40 gr. solids) for a long time now (6+ years). I find it just a little dirtier than MiniMags but completely within tolerable perameters. Generally I use it in a MkII 22/45 or a MkIII Hunter when I'm shooting Steel Challenge. I've never had an issue with AutoMatch ammo and find its accuracy quite adequate to my needs. And latey I'm having more success finding it than MiniMags.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
They shoot well in all my rifles and pistols. The last box I bought, which was last Dec. cost $18.99 at my LGS. I've seen them at flea markets trying to be sold by gougers for $45.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
My LGS/range where I shoot often usually has a stack of it and I often pick up a box before I leave. I like it as does my 22/45 and Charger TD. My revolvers eat most anything so they get the really cheap stuff I bought when I could find no better. I have a pretty good assortment on hand now and all purchased at decent prices (4 - 7 cents ea.) with at least 10 boxes of the AutoMatch on the shelf. It's available, priced fairly and shoots good. About all I could ask for these days.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Federal Auto Match is all I've been shooting in my Marks II and III for several years. Thousands of rounds, and I'm still convinced it's the best. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
all federal gives me misfeeds n large groups.
when it's the cheapest i buy it for plinking, but never for serious work.
i'd rather pay more n get teeny groups, but plinking ammo has its place.
federal at least can be trusted to not damage your gun, unlike thunderbolt, which i believe is dangerous, so i do buy it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Everybody likes different ammo. My MKIII and 22/45 Lite are not as accurate with the AutoMatch as they are with Remington Golden bulk ammo. Really not even close to being as accurate. As everyone says Mini-Mags are best. Federal bulk Champion with the copper plated bullets are more accurate for me than the AutoMatch although both feed well. Winchester bulk does not feed or shoot well in either. However, Winchester bulk HP is the most accurate in a Taurus 5" barrel revolver I have.
I am just happy to be able to find 22 rimfire on a regular basis now. :)

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
My MkII prefers MiniMags and SuperX over the Federal Automatch (group size)

Today, I had 2 stovepipes with Automatch, so I think it is time to install the Volquartsen extractor in my 20-something year old MkII.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a lot of .22, but I can't say that I have any of that. In fact, can't say that I have seen any around. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts