Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot 100 rounds of the Federal Black Pack ammo with my Ruger 10/22 and 40 rounds with my Ruger SR22 today. With the 10/22, I had 3 failures to fire, 2 failure to feeds, with bent/grooved casings, and one failure to eject, with the spent casing jammed in the closed bolt. I had two failures to fire with the SR22. I reloaded the fail to fire rounds and 2 of them did not fire on the second attempt. There were two clear marks on the rims that were consistent with the marks on the successfully fired spent casings from these guns.
I had similar failures with my S&W 15/22 and the two Ruger firearms. It is clear that the Federal Black Pack ammo sucks big time. I will just have to accept the high failure rate, burn up the rest of the box and stick with CCI ammo. I have had a fairly high failure rate with Remington Golden Bullets as well. Once again, you get what you pay for!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
15,995 Posts
RGBellCSI, The last sentence in your post says it all. I figure if I'm going to invest notable sums of money in a nice gun, the least I can do is to stoke it with decent ammo.

I still have several 550 round boxes of Federal bulk ammo that I bought during the last ammo shortage. It seems to work OK but not as good as CCI Mini-Mags. I also have some Remington Golden bullets that really suck. I'll burn them up one way or another but when I want really good reliability and accuracy, it won't be Federal or Remington bulk ammo.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I stopped buying Fed and Rem some time ago except FED auto comp, I had good results with The Auto Comp in my MKII pistol years ago. recently bought a 550 box of Golden Bullets because I've read it was decent ammo now, we'll see. The last SuperX I bought was junk too.

·
Registered
527 Posts
What is the best low cost bulk ammo out there? CCI is good stuff but a little pricey for range ammo.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,387 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I haven't used that type, but have good results with Auto Match and Champion by Federal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I’ve been using Aquila Super Extra High Velocity 40gr ccrn in my pistols and carbines the past year or so with 0 issues. It’s ~$20/500 rds. Definitely will be ordering more bricks. It’s NOT loosepack.
I’ve had the same performance with CCI MiniMag 40 gr ccrn but it costs more.
I stock equal amounts of both brands.

Never tried the Federal.

Here’s some Aquila info: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/12/20/review-aguila-rimfire-ammunition/

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is the best low cost bulk ammo out there? CCI is good stuff but a little pricey for range ammo.

CCI Blazer bulk pack can usually be had for 3.5-4 cents per round which is about half the cost of CCI mini-mags and is just as reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Emperor
880 Posts
If you are having stovepipes in a Ruger 10/22 with a stock extractor, you might want to try an aftermarket extractor such as the Volquartsen exact edge or the Kidd. They are not very expensive and not difficult to install, and might eliminate or reduce the incidence of stovepipe jams, many of which result from the extractor loosing its grip on the case before ejection.

Having said that, I have three 10/22s with aftermarket extractors and I expect to have at least the occasional misfire and stovepipe with bulk ammo. The frequency of these depends on the brand and the rifle.

As far as the bulk packaged ammo where you get between 350 and 550 rounds loose packed in a box, I have shot Federal Champion, Remington Thunderbolts, Remington Golden Bullets, and Federal Auto-Match, all 40 grain round nose. I have probably shot other brands that I have forgotten about. Of these, I would probably rate the Thunderbolts at the bottom of the barrel, the Golden Bullets and Federal Champion a little better (but not much), and the Federal Auto-Match the best of a bad bunch. But for general plinking reliability and accuracy might not mean that much.

I have actually gotten Federal Auto-Match to shoot as tight groups with one 10/22 with a Green Mountain 17" heavy taper barrel as I have with CCI mini-mags, CCI standard velocity, or Aguila Super Extra high velocity and I would probably shoot more of it if it weren't for the more frequent primer and ejection failures.

But if you are able to shop for ammo on-line and keep your eyes open, you can often buy 500 round bricks of better quality ammunition for very little more than some of the bulk ammo costs. For example, Brownells just had a sale on 500 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity 40 grain RN for $22.99 and I just bought another 1000 rounds (it is now listed as out of stock), but they still have 500 round bricks of Aguila Super Extra high velocity available for $20.99. Both of these have performed vastly better in my 10/22s than any of the above mentioned bulk varieties (although I have had the occasional malfunction with the Aguila and a very rare malfunction with CCI SV).

If you are shooting in any type of competitive event, especially timed fire stages, ammunition malfunctions become much more painful. As long as I can buy the better varieties of mid-price ammunition for only a couple cents more per round, I will go that route these days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
funny, Rem Golds have been pretty good for cheap rimfire in my 10/22 and Chargers... are they perfect? nope... ran 300 rounds last week w/my MK IIs and only had 2 bad ones... (random pull from a box of 6300 rounds)

but definitely better than Federal bulk rimfire... i got badly burned on a bulk purchase from Cabelas... 25 percent were squibs...

to add insult to injury, i tried calling Vista for warranty service and got blown off - twice... no response, no warranty, no nothing...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
.22s are notoriously finiky. My 10/22 will eat up ammo my two MK2s wont, and vice versa. Had some Aquila that jammed like crazy in both MK2s, but the 10/22 ate it up. I have never had much trouble with bulk packed Federal or Remington. But, if I do, I got a Single Six that will eat anything!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Over the past few years, I always had good luck with the Federal Champion 525 round bulk packs. Last month, I opened a new box and it has been terrible. I have not had any fail to fires but about a third of them are way under-powered and many more seem to lack full power.
I went to the Federal web site and sent them an email describing my experience and also giving them the lot# from the box. Never got any response.
I have several more boxes of this stuff - hope they are not as bad as this one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Update on my earlier post.

Today I received a response from Federal technical assistance. Federal asked how much of this ammunition I still had and the make of model of rifle I was using when I experienced problems. I have responded to their questions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
it depends on which black pack you buy- the 1100 rd packs are the same cheap bulk as walmart. The 1600 round packs are more like a CCI minimag. I have had great luck with the 1600 rd black packs in my 10/22. I have had pretty good luck with my SR22 shooting just about anything. Lead round nose, bulk Winchester hollow point, mini mags, thunderbolt. You do get bad batches of ammo from time to time...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I’ve been using Aquila Super Extra High Velocity 40gr ccrn in my pistols and carbines the past year or so with 0 issues. It’s ~$20/500 rds. Definitely will be ordering more bricks. It’s NOT loosepack.
I’ve had the same performance with CCI MiniMag 40 gr ccrn but it costs more.
I stock equal amounts of both brands.

Never tried the Federal.

Here’s some Aquila info: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/12/20/review-aguila-rimfire-ammunition/
The Aguila is top notch - I have a bunch of it cause it is good, and again, $20 for 500 rds, is a good deal for great ammo. The powder smells funny, but it is great ammo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I shot 150 rounds of Federal American Eagle 40 gr with my 15-22. I had 4 failure to fires, with reasonable marks on the rims, and two failure to feeds, with the bolt held half open by the jammed rounds. I am going to pick up some Aguila and check it out. I can live with spending a bit more for CCI if I can't find a more reliable cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
387 Posts
These threads always amaze me as someone always loves the ammo that many hate.

I don't buy anything with Rem or WW on the box. They are both inaccurate and unreliable in all my guns and usually cost more.

Most Federal is decent and I usually buy the AutoMatch and Champion.
CCI SV and mini-mags are great.
For me the surprise is Aguila. It's often on sale and the cheapest ammo you can get but all I've tried has been accurate and functional. Their Pistol Match is as good as CCI SV in both my rifles and pistols.

JMO

·
Registered
76 Posts
I never had luck with any Federal ammo in any caliber. The best inexpensive ammo I have found is Aguila. My rifles like it, your milage may vary.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Aguila is top notch - I have a bunch of it cause it is good, and again, $20 for 500 rds, is a good deal for great ammo. The powder smells funny, but it is great ammo.
The best deal I’ve found is from AMMOFAST. They also have excellent prices on other calibers.
Free Shipping on orders of $199+, NO TAX, Special Sales, email notifications.

Aquila Hollow Points are same price.

I’m starting to LOVE the sweet smell of Aquila! Not sure if it’s from the primer to the wax coating! Who cares I shoot outside!

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Picked up a 1100 round box of Federal Black Pack 22's about a week ago. Made it to the range Tuesday and ran 200 rounds through a Ruger MK II. Everyone fed, fired and ejected without any problems. Working my way through the fourth bucket of Remington Golden bullets and have not had any problems with them either.

My MK II and MK IV so far have been 100 % with anything I have fed them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts