Ruger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had NO issues with the federal black in 9mm. I've put over 750 rounds through my AR9 build without issue and an additional 250 rounds combined through my p938 & S&W M&P 2.0.

·
Registered
21 Posts
22LRs are like a lot of stuff. Everyone with a 22 has an opinion. Including me. I use a lot of Federal because of the price. I bought 1600 rounds a year ago in the Federal Black Friday/Black Label promo. At $.02 per round they are easy to like. Regularly get a few FTF. Which I just live with. No biggie. Recently Academy has had the 1100 round buckets with the same ammo for about $.04/each. This is the same ammo that comes in the 525 round blue bulk packs. Sometimes I set the FTF rounds aside as I shoot 200-300 rounds. Then I load them all into magazines and shoot them ALL. Second try they always work. Or, I just thtrw them out with the rest of the brass. CCI Mini Mags (also made by Federal) seem to be the Gold Standard. S&W does their testing (customer and production) with either CCI Mini Mags or Aguila Red Box HV. About three years ago I bought a new S&W 15-22. Had problems immediately and in the course of repairs they advised "Don't use Remington". Which sort of surprised me as I had heard Remington, at the time, was making 1,000,000/day. The issue with my new rifle was the extractor. Round count since 5-10 thousand. Always works. Even Federal. Tom

·
Registered
122 Posts
Update on post #12

Federal has now requested me to send the remaining ammo in this box to them with instructions.
They informed me they will replace the ammunition when they receive my package.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Update on post #12

Federal has now requested me to send the remaining ammo in this box to them with instructions.
Good or bad ammo, that is good customer service to send a new box for a half shot box. If they find something wrong with the batch you havem they learn something. If not, you get a new box of ammo free, and hopefully you go back for more later.

It's good customer service, and a minimum in my opinion

·
Registered
232 Posts
Update on post #12

you definitely made out better than i did - they blew me off after i called twice (and i was very nice, too!)

glad you're getting a replacement - i didn't... it wasn't a major hit (i could afford it)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Steve51, very good that they are dealing with it. Had a problem last year with some Winchester 38 ammo, and after prodding, they replaced my entire order, including the ones I had already shot. So the big companies do stand up for their customers.

My Mk II HB Target likes the Aguila Interceptor and CCI mini-mags. Have a reflex sight on it now (after eye surgery), and both brands group 1/2" or so at 25 yards with no problem. (Sad on the eye surgery - 30 years ago, with the open target sights, I could chase a golf ball across the outdoor range until I couldn't see the golf ball, usually with Remington hollow points. Eyes need support, and now Remington is not as good...)

My 10-22 and Charger like CCI Standard 40gr, and Federal Match 40gr. 1/2" to 1" at 25 to 50 yards, both with Romeo-5 red dots.

A strange ammo-gun combo is my tiny American Arms TPH, which prefers CCI Stingers. Hits everything I point it at under 15 yards (working distance for minuscule sights). Nothing but my S&W 617 and my Ruger single actions even hit the floor from standing with Stingers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Aguila is top notch - I have a bunch of it cause it is good, and again, $20 for 500 rds, is a good deal for great ammo. The powder smells funny, but it is great ammo.
Agree with the Aguila. I always have a couple of bricks of Super Extras on hand. Very little (if any) failures and pretty darn accurate according to a couple of published
test. They are priced 1/2 of what you would spend for Mini-Mags too if plinking and casual target shooting are your thing. As far as the smell, I believe they use Eley priming process which probably affect the accuracy in a positive way.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The federal auto match is a good bulk ammo. The federal bulk stuff has not been good recently but some of the older stuff I have is OK. For cheap ammo that shoots good I like the CCI Blazer or the federal plain lead (#510?) that comes in boxes of 50 is good too. I can usually find it for less than $20 per brick. The Aquila Super extra 40 grain copper plated is good too. One thing to keep in mind on failure to fires and jams, the firing pin, hammer and recoil spring all can make a difference. My 77/22 and Tikka T1x never have a failure to fire, both leave pretty good fire pin marks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have had wonderful luck with Federal .22 LR, as well as cheapo Rem thunderbolts and Golden bullets with all my Ruger .22LR Guns, and I have several.. 10/22- 22/45 Target-SR22-Wrangler-LCPII.22-, not to mention my Beretta 21 A, and my Mossberg Bantam Plinkster.. I dunno, thats a good cross section of guns chambered in .22LR, and not one of them has issues with cheap ammo... I guess it depends on your viewpoint. if I get a FTF say one in 60-70 rounds with rimfire, I am fine with that.. usually its actually better, close to 1 in 80 or 85 or so with cheap bulk ammo in all my .22 guns, regardless of brand..

CCI MM's do a little better,but to me, not enough to justify paying quadruple the price.. I have about 600-700 rds of CCI Mini Mags and Stinger on hand, but rarely shoot it, as I just don't see the need, for me the cheap stuff is fine.. I could just be very lucky. Or possibly my standards are lower..
I don't see 1 failure every 75 rounds as a major problem with rimfire...

If you want a .22 gun to run perfectly say 500-1000 rounds with NO failures, I dunno, I suppose its possible, but I haven't seen one...
Of course centerfires can do that, [good ones], but not so much with rimfires... bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
The federal auto match is a good bulk ammo. The federal bulk stuff has not been good recently but some of the older stuff I have is OK. For cheap ammo that shoots good I like the CCI Blazer or the federal plain lead (#510?) that comes in boxes of 50 is good too. I can usually find it for less than $20 per brick. The Aquila Super extra 40 grain copper plated is good too. One thing to keep in mind on failure to fires and jams, the firing pin, hammer and recoil spring all can make a difference. My 77/22 and Tikka T1x never have a failure to fire, both leave pretty good fire pin marks.
I have been having issues with the Blazer lead not firing lately- I tried shooting 50 rounds through my SW22 Victory target pistol yesterday, and I had about 6 that failed to fire, and one that wouldn't extract after the firing pin hit it, and it didn't go off..

I bought like 3000 rds of it because it was cheap, so I just deal with it. It's not target grade ammo, it's just for plinking. That being said, I ran about 100 rds though a 10/22 they all shot fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The federal auto match is a good bulk ammo. The federal bulk stuff has not been good recently but some of the older stuff I have is OK.
Prior to the Obama shortages I was using Federal Champion bulk pack ammo as my go-to ammo in Rimfire Steel matches. Very consistent. Ever since I have not found one box of it that can make it through a single mag without jamming. I switched to the Auto Match while it was still available and the Champion was not. Same story. All of it I've tried since was crap.

Reminds me of back when I was a quality control supervisor and got in trouble with the brass for doing my job. The plant manager told me, and I quote: "As long as our customers take whatever s*** we sell them, this industry is not ready for quality control."

21 - 33 of 33 Posts