Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federal is supposed to be coming out with a new 9MM HST round. According to the article I read it will be a 150 gr bullet that is designed for short barrel application, similar to what Speer offers in their Gold Dot line. The part number is P9HST5S. I saw no info on a release date. J L

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Federal is supposed to be coming out with a new 9MM HST round. According to the article I read it will be a 150 gr bullet that is designed for short barrel application, similar to what Speer offers in their Gold Dot line. The part number is P9HST5S. I saw no info on a release date. J L
Perhaps you should try emailing Federal? That's the only thing I can suggest.

Or Google it and see if you can find anything.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Guns and Ammo printed it is out.

Like everything else it has to be distributed and the LGS has to order it.

MSRP $25 a box of 20.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will stay with HST 124 gr. for less recoil & is proven to be one of if not the best performing defense round for short barrel pistols
$26 box of 50

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You cant go wrong with any of the Federal HST rounds regardless of bullet weight, all performed exceptionally well except for the 380, that one had excellent expansion but poor penetration.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wonder what the difference is between the 150 grain and their 147 grain 9mm HST product (P9HST2). I like the 147 grain option and shoot it in my 9mm AR pistol and is my standard SD load for my 9mm 1911.

Interesting that Federal doesn't have the 147gr load listed on website any longer and been replaced by the 150gr offering. The 147gr offering is still listed on their LE website.

If you are looking for a heavier 9mm load that is subsonic, I'd recommend the 147gr.

9MM 147GR Federal Premium Tactical HST JHP 50RDS (P9HST2) - Bone Frog Gun Club

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marine24
You are correct they do not show the 147gr under the regular web site only under LE. When I looked up the specs for the 150gr I was surprised at the ratings ..
HST
The specs on the 124 gr ... same for civilian and LE sites.. velocity 1150 .. energy 364
The 147gr standard pressure shows velocity at 1000ft/ sec & energy @326 ft/lbs
The 150gr shows velocity at 900 ft/sec and energy @ 270 ft/lbs (supposed to be optimized for short barrel ) big difference in velocity and energy
Speer Gold Dot
124gr same as the HST velocity 1150 and energy 364
147gr velocity 990 energy 320
Gold Dot Short barrel is a 124+P yet look at the specs, velocity 1150 energy 364 ( same as the 124 standard pressure loads for HST and GD

·
Registered
912 Posts
probably be waiting awhile

I just got my guns and ammo issue a few days ago and I read that. I think it could be months before any local stores receive any. I remember waiting a long time for the HST in 380.....then one store near me had some and I didn't buy any. I had read about the penetration issues. Maybe they should load it to +p for more oomph!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is a pretty significant difference for three grains of bullet weight difference.

Never had a problem with the 147gr when shooting suppressed in either a 4.5" or 8.5" barrel.

Gel test have been pretty consistent with penetration in and around the 15" mark, as one standard of measure.

It will be interesting to see how the 150 gr bullets perform. Definitely will remain quiet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How short of a barrel are you planning on running?

Sounds similar to Buffalo Bores 38 Spl offering that is low flash and optimized for short barrel revolvers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My carry load was HST 124+P but I later switched to the HST 147gr standard pressure loads. As far as going to the 150gr I doubt it. J L.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My carry load was HST 124+P but I later switched to the HST 147gr standard pressure loads. As far as going to the 150gr I doubt it. J L.
in my shield, the +p 124 has quite a kick (it is accurate and always expands though), The 147 sp is the most accurate round I shoot and is far kinder on my old hands.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Marketing, IMO. I'd be comfortable with either the 124 or 147 versions currently offered. There will be a market (and profits) to be made on those that continue to search for the "magic" bullet. There is nothing wrong with that on Federal's part.

For myself? I've settled on a few of the excellent choices currently available. Right now that is Speer GD 124gr +p. It is reliable and accurate enough. The Federal 9BPLE load from days past has it's place as well. Both have a good track record in actual use. Both are available at decent pricing that allows occasional practice usage.

·
Registered
912 Posts
let us know how it does

I think its important to test fire a hundred or so loads in your gun to test it first for function. that being said if you can find the hst in large eneough quantities buy it ,shoot it and let the rest of us know how it does

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will stay with HST 124 gr. for less recoil & is proven to be one of if not the best performing defense round for short barrel pistols
I currently use Federal HST 124 grain in my full-size SR9, but I'm going to try Speer Gold Dot 124 grain, too. Both rounds have good reps.

I would also recommend SGAmmo for all your ammo needs. They offer great bang for your buck (no pun intended).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't shop on the internet and would like to try federal's 124 grain hst +p ammo; unfortunately, that ammo is not stocked at big box stores and is only available through Leo channels or the internet.
I guess that I'll stick to Speer gold dot 124 grain +p's for short barrels. It is not a whimpy load! A pistol round needs all the help that it can get......I
am mildly surprised that many defense rounds are mildly loaded probably for light weight sub compacts with weak recoil springs. Oh well..

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I don't shop on the internet and would like to try federal's 124 grain hst +p ammo; unfortunately, that ammo is not stocked at big box stores and is only available through Leo channels or the internet.
I guess that I'll stick to Speer gold dot 124 grain +p's for short barrels. It is not a whimpy load! A pistol round needs all the help that it can get......I
am mildly surprised that many defense rounds are mildly loaded probably for light weight sub compacts with weak recoil springs. Oh well..
You might want to give that a try. SGAmmo.com in OK has good prices on the boxes of 50 for many popular defensive rounds.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I just got 6 boxes of 124 grain HST from TargetSports.com. I think they are out of Connecticut or Vermont.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts