Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this month's 1st Freedom Wayne LaPierre states that it is a fed. felony for a resident in one state to aquire a firearm in another state except thru a dealer. Private interstate sales between individuals is illegal. He also says it is a fed. felony for any person to transfer, trade, sell, give to any person he knows not to be a resident of that state. Can this be true?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes it is true. That's why if you buy a gun online it is shipped to an FFL instead of straight to your house. If you are visiting another state and you want to purchase a gun it must be shipped to an FFL in your state and you get it when you get home.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last year I bought a mini 14 from private seller found on Va Trader. This year I bought a Henry 44 mag from a dealer, in addition to normal paper work I had to fill out NJSP form and brought it home with me. So the mini purchase made me a felon. Nice.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes it is true. That's why if you buy a gun online it is shipped to an FFL instead of straight to your house. If you are visiting another state and you want to purchase a gun it must be shipped to an FFL in your state and you get it when you get home.

That's only true of handguns in most states. The federal law only restricts handgun sales but some states extended that to long guns.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The question is about a sale between private parties in different states. It doesn't matter if its a rifle, handgun or shotgun. It is illegal to buy and sell between private parties in different states without going through an FFL. If the Op lives in NJ and traveled to VA to buy a rifle off some guy and did not go through an FFL, then he is in violation of federal law, and if the seller knew he was from out of state then he is also in violation.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It's just another way for the Feds (Obama, admin) to chip away our rights... And we know what the end goal is.
Pretty sad.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
It's just another way for the Feds (Obama, admin) to chip away our rights... And we know what the end goal is.
Pretty sad.
Um...been in place long before Obama was in the big chair so can't poi t the blame finger at him and his pals.

This all makes me think of a conversation I heard a few years back though. Was at a show and overheard a guy talking to a another about acquiring a few firearms after a relative (father, grandfather...something like that) passed away. the widow packed them up and UPS-ed them to him - a couple handguns and some old shotgun if I recall correctly. :eek: To myself I questioned exactly how those federal folks would know and react. On the way home I though about how the guy could ever sell them if they were in any way still "papered" (not sure what state they came from) to the deceased owner.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
probably too late now but some of y'all might want to consider editing some of the above posts. Just sayin. :eek:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
To the OP, go to the link at the bottom and read the statue for your own knowledge.

§ 478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

(b) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a rifle or shotgun obtained from a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector in a State other than the transferee's State of residence in an over-the-counter transaction at the licensee's premises obtained in conformity with the provisions of § 478.96(c) and

(c) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with the provisions of §§ 478.30 and 478.97.

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Pretty sad.
No, this has more to do with State's rights and common sense than with anyone at the Federal level trying to take away individual's rights.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
§478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

I live in MN, my father lives in MT. He has a Ruger SR9 (and a few other firearms) that have been designated to go to me when he passes.

I have a carry permit that is valid in my home state and MT. Based on this current Federal law, I believe it is legal for me to receive those firearms.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Also please note, C&R [Curios & Relics] are exempt from this provision if one has the appropriate ATF license.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts