Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a brick of Federal Red Box and have had six rounds out of 400 fail to eject due to the cartridge mushrooming. The bottom of each of these cartidges is convex in shape (note attached photo). Pistol is very clean. Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I use these exclusively, never had one problem, ever.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asked the guys at the range whether they had seen 22 casings do this, they hadn't, and most of them are 'old timers.'

James - Definitely going back to CCI - never had an issue either.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I would send that picture to Federal, also wonder if the head space or something maybe wrong with the gun ? I would also send a copy of the pictures to Ruger and ask them. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I've been shooting Federal' Bulk in my MK III 22/45 bull barrel without any problems.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I prefer the Federal .22s in the 550-round Value Pack, as they've been the most reliable brand to use in my PITA Remington 522 Viper. My Ruger MkIII has digested everything I put in it, save for the Remington Thunderbolts (Bleah).
The biggest difficulty is finding the Federals.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts

I can't be the only one aggravated by not being able to find those locally and having to special order them if I want them. Everything seems to be 32gr high velocity these days. Bulk 40gr standard velocity is a ghost on the shelves... :mad:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
All I shoot through my Mk III 22/45 Target is CCI, or preferably, Federal Auto-Match. Clean, accurate, reliable; but about 10% more money than CCI.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Federal value pack and Remington golden bullet

Put about half a brick of Federal value pack through my SR-22P today - had about 6 failure to feed - although the majority of those were with a new shooter. Could feel a bit more kick than the Remington golden bullet and also the Feds were very dirty. The last time out I ran mostly Rem GB and the gun was barely dirty (at least visible) - but with half a box of Federal the front inch or so of the slide and frame is very visibly coated with residue.

Had one or it might have been two failure to fire with the Remington GB - hoping this is not too big an issue - just got a bunch on sale.

Still have have a half brick of Winchester - if memory serves I have not had a failure to fire or failure to feed with the Winchester white box bulk pack so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would send that picture to Federal, also wonder if the head space or something maybe wrong with the gun ? I would also send a copy of the pictures to Ruger and ask them. Let us know what you find out.
Will pursue this with Federal. Had similar issue with the last brick of Federal Red Box as well and thought perhaps it was an anomaly. That being said, I don't have any issues with CCI, Federal Match, or Federal Blue Box.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
more FTF today

Put about half a brick of Federal value pack through my SR-22P today - had about 6 failure to feed - although the majority of those were with a new shooter. Could feel a bit more kick than the Remington golden bullet and also the Feds were very dirty. The last time out I ran mostly Rem GB and the gun was barely dirty (at least visible) - but with half a box of Federal the front inch or so of the slide and frame is very visibly coated with residue.

Had one or it might have been two failure to fire with the Remington GB - hoping this is not too big an issue - just got a bunch on sale.

Still have have a half brick of Winchester - if memory serves I have not had a failure to fire or failure to feed with the Winchester white box bulk pack so far.
Used up the last of my Winchester white box today - about 200 rounds - not a single issue at all. Got about 50 rounds into what remains of the Federal value pack and three failure to feed preceded by what felt like a weak recoil - or at least it sounded and felt slightly different. still have maybe 200 rounds left - will likely use them up next time I go tot he range - but do not plan on buying any more for use in my SR22P.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Federal asked for picutures of the 'mushroomed' cartridges so emailed them what I posted here. They then requested the spent cartridges and any ammo from that lot number that was unfired. Federal sent a prepaid shipping label about a week ago and also stated they would make me whole for the unfired ammo. No response since the shipping label, however with the holidays I'm not surprised. Stay tuned, I'm certainly interested to see how this will play out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Federal finally responded after completing their analysis. They stated nothing was wrong with the rounds in question, and that I should consider replacing my main spring. What I find interesting is that many standard velocity rounds (CCI and Federal Blue Box most recently) perform just fine in my Mark III 22/45. No FTE or FTF. It just hasn't been picky as ammo goes.

Federal did take care of me though. As I mentioned, I sent them the 100 unfired rounds from the brick in question for their evaluation, and they replied with a check generous enough to purchase a new brick - now if only I could find some ammo to purchase. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts