Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading everywhere how SR22 eats any ammo, not that I don't believe it, but my SR22 has constant problems with Aguila SuperExtra. The gun goes BANG and the hammer cocks back for the next shot, but the next round is not chambered. It happens every ten shots or so. Is there anything I can try besides switching ammo? It seems the CCI MiniMag doesn't have this problem, though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nope ammo brand seems to be the issue. I personally have shot CCI mini mags and Federal Champs without issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been shooting MiniMags with all my 10/22s and Mark IIIs for three years and only had ONE bad round. For SR22, I feel like MiniMags have too much recoil, because the gun is very lightweight, and it has some negative impact on accuracy.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I haven't heard much good about Aguila .22 ammo. Just don't use it in your SR22P if it doesn't like it.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I keep reading everywhere how SR22 eats any ammo, not that I don't believe it, but my SR22 has constant problems with Aguila SuperExtra. The gun goes BANG and the hammer cocks back for the next shot, but the next round is not chambered. It happens every ten shots or so. Is there anything I can try besides switching ammo? It seems the CCI MiniMag doesn't have this problem, though.
Is this the "quiet" ammo? If so that typically means that it is subsonic and doesn't have enough recoil to move the slide far enough back to pick up the next round. It doesn't take much recoil to cock the hammer.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Check your mags - one of mine was a bit tight near the top - required effort to push the rounds in - have heard of others with similar issues - called Ruger - they sent replacement with envelope to return "faulty" mag. I have put about 500 rounds of Winchester whitebox and Remington Golden Bullet through mine and have had only two failure to feed, one after the first shot of a new magazine in DA mode.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"but my SR22 has constant problems with Aguila SuperExtra. The gun goes BANG and the hammer cocks back for the next shot, but the next round is not chambered. It happens every ten shots or so"
"Long Rifle Standard Velocity"

Sounds like what that Eley Sport made by Aguila for Eley was doing in the Mk III 22/45. Some has enough umph, some does not.

" Is there anything I can try besides switching ammo?"

That sounds like your best option. Run some different ammo, tried CCI Tactical ~1200 fps? Try some high velocity (~ 1260fps rated stuff) as a function check, if it doesn't fail, you know you're somewhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Run some different ammo, tried CCI Tactical ~1200 fps? Try some high velocity (~ 1260fps rated stuff) as a function check, if it doesn't fail, you know you're somewhere.
Yeah, but I still wouldn't know if this is the issue with the gun, or with the ammo, or is it by design. SV ammo is supposed to function properly in SR22, if it doesn't, then I have an issue with the gun and should send it back to Ruger. I did actually try some MiniMags, no problem, as expected. What I'm looking for is to minimize the recoil by using SV ammo only, and also minimize my expenses on ammo, since this gun will obviously never be used for any competition, just for fun plinking.
Hope I'm not asking too much :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Make sure your recoil spring is attached to the guide rod properly as outlined in the owners manual. Lots of them leaving the factory not attached properly, including mine.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Check your mags - one of mine was a bit tight near the top - required effort to push the rounds in - have heard of others with similar issues - called Ruger - they sent replacement with envelope to return "faulty" mag. I have put about 500 rounds of Winchester whitebox and Remington Golden Bullet through mine and have had only two failure to feed, one after the first shot of a new magazine in DA mode.
I had about 15 "failure to feed" today in 200 rds. I use four mags and I think it only really happened in two of them and one more than the other. I was using Federal 40 gr Champions and I usually only load five rounds in each mag at a time on the range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts