Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
^^^:D LOL!!! I have to agree with that one lol!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I fell for a S&W this past weekend. I was in Hamilton Montana, went to small gun show and found a Regulation Police in 38 S&W with a really nice S.D. Myres lined holster. It was really nice, slight turn line and holster wear, nice original stocks numbered to the gun. I made an offer and was accepted. I found out early this morning that it was shipped in 1935 or '36. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So you love your S&W? Well, everyone has some skeleton in their closet, myself included! A Mod. 60 that travels with me a lot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have to tell you that I finally got the little smithy out to the range the other day. With 38spl +p it is about all I would want. Sheww a little snappy ... I was considering a .357 "j" frame in scandium but I might have to second guess that one. See, I wont own a gun I don't shoot a lot. And after 100 rds thru the smithy I was feelin it. Not to mention my hand was a little sore the next day. I really cant imagine how much more a lighter gun with more power would feel. I like POWER but not sure about the little snappy ones. This little bugger was very accurate after I figured the proper grip for it. Off hand was sub 2" 5 shot groups consistently with LSWC reloads at about 12 yards. Not bad in my book for a little stubbed out rocket.

·
Registered
398 Posts
To be completely honest; I do own several Rugers and several S&W and several Taurus, and a Rossi and a Charter Arms. I own more Colts than all the others combined; so it comes around that me acquiring anything but a "COLT" would be my idiosyncratic unfaithfulness.
Just a different "spin" on the original thread!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brand loyalty just gets you burnt. Two years ago I was strictly Ruger. Got burnt with a crooked barrel sp101. Sent it in to ruger and it came back scratched and still crooked. I have a few less rugers and three new smiths. Buy the best product for what you are looking for. If a certain manufacturer does like it they need to step up. I may still buy ruger, but not only

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Brand loyalty just gets you burnt. Two years ago I was strictly Ruger. Got burnt with a crooked barrel sp101. Sent it in to ruger and it came back scratched and still crooked. I have a few less rugers and three new smiths. Buy the best product for what you are looking for. If a certain manufacturer does like it they need to step up. I may still buy ruger, but not only

Seems there is a growing number of folks starting to have issues with Ruger service. Here is another thread I have going where I am dealing with about the same kind of issue that you had with your SP101.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/22051-little-disappointed-ruger-service.html

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
I would say I'm not so much "brand loyal" as I am loyal to buying brands that are made in America.

I love both Ruger and S&W and although I prefer to shoot my Ruger wheelguns a lot more, I can never say I will never buy another S&W.

Now, I did feel guilty when I bought some beater Taurus revolvers:) My Taurus guns are defintely the "2nd class citizens" of my collection, the Ruger and S&W stuff gets to rest in the safe in silicone infused padded cases, while the Tauri are wrapped in old dirty T-Shirts stashed around various places of my property, they're kind of the "expendable low cost workers" :p My gun collection is definitely not a class-less society.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've owned a Ruger 10/22 for...many years. A P90 for about 17 years. A Ruger Alaskan for about 2 months.

I also have a S&W 22/32 kit gun that is now pushing 30 years, and my newest gun is a S&W Model 60 Lady Smith :eek:. Just got back from plinking a bit with it & the 10/22. The Lady seemed to have no problem hanging with the Ruger, or vice versa - opposite sex thing going on?

Meanwhile, my 10/22 is seeing new use teaching my daughter to shoot, and she discovered today that the 22/32 fired single action allowed her to kill a soda can at 20 feet regularly. Not great, but only her second time out.

My next gun? Probably not until Christmas, but I'll spend the months between debating between a Ruger SP101 or a S&W Model 627 Pro...two VERY different guns, and both tempting. All this assumes the Alaskan doesn't need a 44 mate. Then I'd have to get a 629 and have Lady Smith engraved on the side!

To me, Ruger and S&W are like pepperoni and cheese. They go together just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first hand gun was a Ruger single six, bought new in 1976 for $80.00. For years and years I had nothing but Ruger revolvers, still own quite a few. But I bought my first Smith about 3 years ago, and now I see why they have such a loyal following. Not as heavy/beefy as a Ruger, but they tend to have great triggers, both double and single action. Picked up a few Smiths since then, and love them all. But my favorite revolver is still my 2 3/4" SS Speed Six.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No brand loyalty here, just individual gun loyalty... My 2 Rugers and my 2 Smiths are excellent handguns, each for very different reasons. Except for the Mk I Target that has heavy wear consistent with holster carry, their finish is practically perfect and all four are used at the range only.

For carry and sliding around in the glove box, I have a 25+ year old AMT Backup and a 30 year old Bulldog that has been Armaloyed and modified for pocket carry. There is also a Colt and a Remington Rand (1944 M1911A1) that usually sit in the safe.

I guess my loyalty is to guns built in the '70's and earlier. I will haunt gun shops and pawn stores for an older piece before I plunk down money on a new one.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Nothing wrong with owning both Ruger and Smith & Wesson!

My CCW revolver is a Ruger SP101 totally love it but its a tad heavy. But still prefer it over most of the 5 shot S&W revolvers but Smith and Wesson makes some very nice guns. I had to have a S&W Model 66 I found one a early Model 66 no dash and it is such a great gun to shoot I really enjoy it. But then when I want to shoot .357 magnum loads I bring out my trusty Ruger Vaquero Bisley wow such a beautiful gun! I was really into shooting 1911 semi autos and then I got the itch to have a revolver again after not having one for a long long time.....Well now I have 3 .357 magnum revolvers it actually is very enjoyable to me to just take my time especially after shooting a cylinder full of rounds to hand eject each casing into my hands not having to look all over for my brass!!! I know it sounds funny but that is how I got interested again in revolvers but I must say I am fond of both Rugers and Smith & Wessons but mostly the earlier Smiths with the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders my very faithful S&W K-22 Model 17 has to be at the top of the list for my most favorite handgun that I own. I have the sickness called Pistol itus no mater if its a revolver or semi- auto hand gun one is never enough!!!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to tell you that I finally got the little smithy out to the range the other day. With 38spl +p it is about all I would want. Sheww a little snappy ...
LOL...Your post was rather timely for me but in reverse! I have always been a S&W shooter and felt a little guilt when I bought a Redhawk .44mag a few months ago, love it.

I had several S&W's but decided a Colt Detective Special belonged in every snubby accumulation so I had one of them too. Picked up an SP 101 today and the guy at the gun shop said he had to look twice to be sure that it was really me ordering Ruger...LOL!

About the "snappy" part...loading your own ammo can go a long way to make shooting more enjoyable in that you can tailor your ammo to your shooting needs and comfort level.

They're all good...enjoy them. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
As far as "snappy", it can be tamed by putting on Hogue Mono's. Put one on my wife's 442 and it improves both grip and comfort.
Stew

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
How dare!?

As many here know I am a huge fan of Ruger revolvers. I recently had a change of heart on what I wanted for CCW. I shopped around for a while and more or less had a S&W 442 fall into my lap for a good deal. Well I couldn't pass it up so it came home with me. Mind you I have a nice collection of Ruger firearms. I owned 1 S&W a while back, it was a .357 combat special. Loved the gun till it went out of time. Had it repaired and traded it off for a Ruger. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Smiths are junk by any means. When this new 442 hit my hands I just had to have it. It felt excellent in the hand and just "fit". So here I am feeling a bit of guilt as my loyalty to Ruger has skipped a beat. The problem is that Ruger does not have something to fit the niche I was looking for. I want light, compact and no plastic. I dont care for the looks of the LCR and the sp101 is just a little heavier than what I want to carry all the time. The 442 has decades of history and proven reliability so I have to give it a try. The problem is that now I am looking at other S&W compact J frame revolvers and considering getting another one :eek:. I am leaning strongly toward a scandium 357 J frame. This would just about fill all of my CCW needs in one package. Anyone else ever have this change of heart??? :rolleyes:
How dare you?! lol JK I almost got a S&W. If they would have had one in .40cal, I would have bought 1. I wont fault ya too much lol S&W is a good, American brand, caint fault ya too much for that lol

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
S&W guilt? NO way........

Now I have felt the sting of "Taurus guilt":)

If my Ruger and S&W revolvers could talk, when I brought home a few used Taurus 82's one time, they would have shook their heads and said "what's up with those guys from Brazil, man?"

21 - 40 of 51 Posts