Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to put my hands on a .32 birds head yesterday for the first time. I love that grip. Now I'm determined that one will be mine soon, but in a higher caliber. I also got to compare it to a Uberti. The Uberti's are nice, but it was clear that the Ruger has more quality. Anyone have any complaints about their single actions?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Birds head gripped rugers are great and one is in my want list along with many other guns.
Yep, join the club mate.
My wish list just keeps growing..... :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Country

Complaints about a Ruger SA???????

Well I do have one:

I WANT A RUGER NEW VAQUERO BIRDSHEAD GRIP 3-1/2" .45ACP!

I've owned Ruger SAs since 1958 & have yet to have a real complaint about them. When Ruger brought out the Vaquero I wished it would have been in a smaller frame, but they have fixed that now. I'm pretty happy with Rugers offerings & quality.
Frank

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I want one for my 6.5" Single-Six...it's aready a great little revolver...the Birds Head Grip would dress it up nice and give me a grip that is just a little more comfortable for me!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
Here's a Single-Six that I modified. This is an aftermarket Qualite birdshead grip frame. I cut down standard XR3RED grips to fit the frame. Feels great, looks decent, and shoots good.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Iowegan, that is nice.

Sadly, you are retired and living in NE, and I'm in NJ. I put a Brownell's birds head on my .357BH, and the extra weight improved the balance and feel over the aluminum grip frame by a lot. I'm surprised the birds head grip isn't more popular as it seems to distribute the bite from heavy loads much better than the plow handle grip.

·
16,076 Posts
When I first bought the birdshead grip frame, I mounted it on a 6 1/2" 357 Blackhawk. Besides looking ugly, I found the gun was shooting a couple inches high with the birdshead grip frame. No doubt ... I was "palming" to compensate for recoil. With some practice and sight adjustment, I probably could have overcome it but I just couldn't deal with the disproportional looks.

Here's the difference in profile ... standard XR3 RED grip panel behind the birdshead frame.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Lowegan

That does look nice.
I'm if a person wanted to make his own, I wonder if he could order a set of birdshead stocks from Ruger & use them as a template for marking the gripframe. Then he'd have one that matched the Ruger profile??
just a thought.
Frank

·
16,076 Posts
Frank V, A standard grip frame doesn't have enough "meat" in the right places ... namely the back strap to reshape into a birdshead. However, if you are a talented grip maker, you could make the wood thicker at the back to fit thinner frame.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here's a pic of mine, albeit with a pair of grips I made up for it. Comfortable in the hand, accurate with my loads, and light enuf to carry all day...gotta love those Single Sixes, (and that flat top .44 spl too.) Rod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts