Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used GP100 Match Champion 10mm. After inspecting all 10 of the moon clips to ensure none were bent up I proceeded to put 50 rounds of .40 downrange with no issued whatsoever. I gave it a quick cleaning to remove all the powder residue from inside of the cylinder then proceeded to fire 50 rounds of 10mm using the same factory moon clips. Every time I tried to eject the empty casings I had to use a pencil to remove them even though I was using the moon clips. The .40 i was shooting was Freedom Munitions new 180gr RNFP loaded to 950 fps and the 10mm Freedom Munitions new 180gr RNFP loaded to 1120 fps. Anyone else have issues with difficulty extracting 10mm casings using the moon clips or issues with this ammunition? Contacted Ruger yesterday and it'll be going back to them this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I would try some good ammo before I sent it in and be sure you have it clean after running the 40 through it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Freedom Munitions is good quality ammunition, even their remanufactured ammo. I've fired over 10,000 rounds of their ammunition of various calibers, new & remanufactured, and never had a single issue with any of it. The same ammunition fires & ejects fine from my Wiley Clapp GP100 10mm using the exact same moon clip that wouldn't from the Match Champion.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The 40's being shorter are going to deposit residue short of the full length of the 10mm. You didn't indicate what Quick cleaning entailed but if you didn't go after it with a brass brush and solvent it may not have been enough.

I have the same issue when I go from 38 to 357 in a range visit. Cases get sticky.

If you are a reloader .. just load down the 10mm brass. For my Henry, since it likes the longer cases I just make softer 357. You can do the same with the 10mm.

I dont think its a flaw in either the cartridges or the gun. Try shooting 10mm first on your next outing.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I have not tried shooting the 40s out of my 10mm yet. I have the 3” GP100. Reading posts about the issue is confusing. Some posts suggest using a different thickness moon clip. If I recall correctly, some posts did not endorse shooting the 40 out of the 10mm. I don’t recall the manual prohibited this practice. If OP used the factory supplied moon clips were there any misfires or punctured primers?

Seeking good advise from members with the 10mm using moon clips. Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have not tried shooting the 40s out of my 10mm yet. I have the 3” GP100. Reading posts about the issue is confusing. Some posts suggest using a different thickness moon clip. If I recall correctly, some posts did not endorse shooting the 40 out of the 10mm. I don’t recall the manual prohibited this practice. If OP used the factory supplied moon clips were there any misfires or punctured primers?

Seeking good advise from members with the 10mm using moon clips. Thanks.
I also read that the 40 needs the thicker moon clip but I havent tried it. if I didnt reload I might be interested because .40 ammo is going pretty damn cheap now!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally haven't had any issues with light strikes of primers using the factory moon clips yet but I have read a few posts that others have. TK customs offers a thicker moon clip, .50 as opposed to .35 factory, for shooting .40 but they're pricey. $79 for 10 & you have to use their loading tool and demooner adding another $100 to the price. I'm going a cheaper route and ordered some polymer ones from EZ Moon Clips $36 for 10 and they can be loaded & unloaded without any tools. The RIMZ646 is made for the S&W 646 .40 but has been tested and works well in the GP100 using 10mm or .40.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I personally haven't had any issues with light strikes of primers using the factory moon clips yet but I have read a few posts that others have. TK customs offers a thicker moon clip, .50 as opposed to .35 factory, for shooting .40 but they're pricey. $79 for 10 & you have to use their loading tool and demooner adding another $100 to the price. I'm going a cheaper route and ordered some polymer ones from EZ Moon Clips $36 for 10 and they can be loaded & unloaded without any tools. The RIMZ646 is made for the S&W 646 .40 but has been tested and works well in the GP100 using 10mm or .40.
I really look forward to your experience with the poly moonclips! Price is right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to the gentleman about them for well over an hour before deciding to buy them. He stated that they are made of hydrocarbon polymers. I asked if their durability was on par with the polymer Glock and H&K frames are made of, his response "This polymer is stronger". He said that they will bend but will go back to their original shape when left alone. These are also made to fit only one way on the cylinder, meaning one side of the moon clip is recessed so the case rim sits flush. Only range time will tell though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Read this:

https://revolverguy.com/tk-custom-moon-clips-and-moon-clip-tools/

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/moon-clips-for-revolver-speed/138244[/quote] That moon clip loading tool is neat but you really dont need them for the ruger supplied moonclips. The split in the ring makes them a breeze to load and I can unload them fast and easy with the attached moonclip demooning tool. I put a stopper in the bottom and it is long enough to hold 6 cases so I can demoon and then just spill them into my range bag for reloading later. But .. the poly clips sounds pretty cool and the price is very fair. I have been watching some youtube vids and they seem to work just fine. I dont know that I need 10 additional moon clips since I have 6. I dont shoot .40 and just drop 10mm into the holes at the range sans moonclip so the moonclips for me would be just for carry and to have a couple loaded up at home. Still... I might have to try the poly! [MEDIA=youtube]EGe9naDwY5k[/MEDIA]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a used GP100 Match Champion 10mm. After inspecting all 10 of the moon clips to ensure none were bent up I proceeded to put 50 rounds of .40 downrange with no issued whatsoever. I gave it a quick cleaning to remove all the powder residue from inside of the cylinder then proceeded to fire 50 rounds of 10mm using the same factory moon clips. Every time I tried to eject the empty casings I had to use a pencil to remove them even though I was using the moon clips. The .40 i was shooting was Freedom Munitions new 180gr RNFP loaded to 950 fps and the 10mm Freedom Munitions new 180gr RNFP loaded to 1120 fps. Anyone else have issues with difficulty extracting 10mm casings using the moon clips or issues with this ammunition? Contacted Ruger yesterday and it'll be going back to them this afternoon.
I have a 10mm M.C. and sometimes have a problem ejecting the rounds, I have to hit the ejector rod with a plastic mallet. I don't understand why it does that, I have a friend just bought a GP100 7 shot and has the same problem extracting the empties. These problems are with factory ammo with Ruger moon clips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't say enough good things about Ruger customer service. I called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label, shipped it January 16th & received it back today February 5th. Work order said they replaced the cylinder and barrel, test fired, cleaned, and packaged for shipping. They also sent me 9 new moon clips which is about $45 worth of freebies. Haven't had an opportunity to fire it yet but I did test it with a moon clip of empty casings to see if they would extract. The same ones I fired my last range trip that I had to pry out slid out like butter off a hot pancake. In short, if you're having extradition issues call Ruger & send it in immediately. They will definitely take care of you. I basically have a brand new unfired gun now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts