Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I picked up a new lipseys exclusive stainless/walnut gun site scout the other day. Took it out to try today and had a few questions.

1. Brass making receiver and dinging the wood - brass marks on the side of the receiver kinda under the rear ghost ring sight. On the flat side. It's also dinging the stock back there. Is this normal and or common? I don't care much about the marks on the stainless receiver as any solvent should clean that but would prefer not to chip the heck out of my stock. If it's normally and common maybe I'll just put s little section of gril tape right there on the stock or something.

2. Difficulty ejecting CBC 12 headstampped 7.62x51 - I only had two types of ammo with me today, I intended to bring some ZQI 7.62 but left it at home. I had federal .308 and the aforementioned CBC 7.62 that I don't even know how I acauired. I thought initially it was armscor but it was CBC which I think is magtech. A quick google sesrch showed a few folks with this issue. After firing it is very difficult to open the bolt. It opens 90% of the way but the last 8th of an inch of rotating the bolt up (where it begins to pull the case out of the chamber) is really tough. Need to smack it with the heel of my hand the. It extracts as normal when pulling the bolt back. It's just an issue getting it unseated from the chamber apparently. The .308 extracted normal.

Any input on this? Is this a 7.62 issue or maybe just a magtech/CBC issue? I really hope this rifle will function normally with most 7.62 and I really don't want to be stuck to ONLY .308.

Lastly - lube! Could just be the style of action as I have never owned a Mauser action before but it feels kinda gritty and clunky. Where should I be applying lol and grease? I greased where the bolt rides to cock the spring (the little notch) as that always smoothed things out on other rifles and I greased the rails where the bolt rides. Other than that I disassembled the bolt super lightly oiled the pin and spring, then lightly oiled the outside of the bolt allowing a bit to seep into the joints. Any other suggestions? Should I nust cycle the thing like 5000 times?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can add a bit of grease to the back of the locking lugs. The action will smooth up after a 1000 strokes or so. Lube it up and dry fire it for a couple of hours it will smooth right out.

The empty cases hitting the stock was it with the CBC cases?

If they are out of spec and it sounds like they are not extracting correctly then they could be leaving the extractor differently. I have a few GSR's and none hit the stocks with extracting brass.

I think i remember some one posting the same thing a while back don't remember what it was.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
My GSR likes the ZQ1 alot! The brass is left on the receiver on mine as well. I have not noticed the brass "dinging" my stock, but I have the laminated version. (6803). Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good question, I'll have to check if it does it with different brass or just the CBC. I wasn't paying attention when I was shooting the federal .308.

Lo go back next time with some different ammo including the ZQ1. I'm hoping that stuff is halfway as decent as everybody says, because damn it's cheap (for .308). Will try it in my M1A too. If I have any of the CBC left I'll just feed it to the m1a as well.

Just really hoping the GSR doesn't mind 7.62 overall. I've got a bunch I can test. MAL, DAG, lake city, GGG, so I will definitely report back, also when I can shoot st a proper location. I got screwed and was only able to find a spot going out to about 50 yards today so that's why I only ran 40 rounds. Figured it was kind of a waste.

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
Ejected brass leaves marks on the receiver of my GSR as well. It rubs right off with some Hoppes or whatever I'm cleaning with. I haven't had marks on the stock as far as I can tell, though.

I don't recall using CBC (Magtech) ammo in my GSR, but my GSR does work well with the 7.62 ammo I've used so far. Most of that has been Lake City marked brass.

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
You can add a bit of grease to the back of the locking lugs. The action will smooth up after a 1000 strokes or so. Lube it up and dry fire it for a couple of hours it will smooth right out.
Yep, my GSR needed breaking in, too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
CBC Magtech has caused a lot of problems in GSRs. The casing is slightly oversized, but works great in M1As. Try 7.62x51 Federal M1A with 168 grain and work the bolt.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
As for the action, get in your recliner and turn on "The View," or some other TV show with babbling liberal idiots on it. Work the bolt and dry fire at the screen if they get you angry enough.*

After you've vented for awhile, clean and lube your rifle again, and watch a couple of Longmire episodes to calm down. Before long, your action and trigger will be noticeably smoother.

*Keep in mind that Jeff Cooper's Four Rules are an excellent thing to keep in mind when dry firing at your TV screen.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool, thanks for the tips guys.

Sounds like the same break in process I take on my lever guns. However I normally just put on the good the bad and the Ugly or Once Upon A Time in the West or Duck You Sucker or some other 3+ hour long western, and work the action about a brazillian times while wearing a glove.

Not sure what movie would call for the scout though. Saving Private Ryan perhaps?

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
Not sure what movie would call for the scout though. Saving Private Ryan perhaps?
Now that's an interesting thought, picking a movie to break in a GSR. :cool:

Since the GSR isn't a milsurp, I'd have to pick a different movie. Something with a lot of targets. Like a zombie movie or an alien invasion movie. Now which one should I choose? :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also noticed that the barrel and reciever are pretty darn off center in the stock. I attempted to adjust it by holding it more centered and tightening re tightening the two bolts, but to no avail. after shooting the other day it had all shifted back to the left and was touching the one side of the stock. I can still slide a postit note into the slit and around the barrel, so there isnt MUCH contact between the barrel and the for end, but it's there and the gap is absolutely uneven on both sides, all the way down. Is this a "meh who cares" type deal, a "shoot it and see if it needs adjusted because of accuracy (I'm not expecting a precision rifle here)" or a "send it to ruger now"

.....or a "just free float and adjust it on your own....grab some 120 then 400 grit sand paper, spend a few minutes on it, and call it a day"

·
Registered
756 Posts
I also noticed that the barrel and reciever are pretty darn off center in the stock. I attempted to adjust it by holding it more centered and tightening re tightening the two bolts, but to no avail. after shooting the other day it had all shifted back to the left and was touching the one side of the stock. I can still slide a postit note into the slit and around the barrel, so there isnt MUCH contact between the barrel and the for end, but it's there and the gap is absolutely uneven on both sides, all the way down. Is this a "meh who cares" type deal, a "shoot it and see if it needs adjusted because of accuracy (I'm not expecting a precision rifle here)" or a "send it to ruger now"

.....or a "just free float and adjust it on your own....grab some 120 then 400 grit sand paper, spend a few minutes on it, and call it a day"

Scope it, shoot it, and if it shoots fine leave it alone.

Scope it, shoot it and find out it strings with good ammo, then start trouble shooting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What GSR Fan said!! The fit of the laminate stock on my GSR is not great but I'm shooting 1 moa with cheap Federal XM80, and better with Gold Medal Match. I'm not worried about how the stock seems to fit.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the fit on my mossberg MVP was never that great either and it was sub moa all day every day.

Worst case if it shoots fine but is bothering me i can do a little sanding. I'm OCD and it looks off center. Maybe i'll get over it once i know it works fine.

Its funny some things drive me nuts. Dont care if the rifle gets worn and looks used, but heaven forbid something is uneven. I am responsible for the condition, but the factory is responsible for if it fits right!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Shoot it and see how it works first. Tighten the action bolts correctly 90 in/lbs for the front angled action screw first then the rear action screw at 10 in/lbs not the 20 the manual says.

The cross bolts just need to be snug not tight they are there to keep the stock from spring out under recoil nothing more.

If it shoots good your done. If not lets take about it. ;)

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, shot another 80 rounds through the rifle today. Was hopeful the ZQI would be good to go in the rifle but it wasn't super smooth functioning. Nowhere NEAR the issues I had with the CBC only like 2 rounds where it took me a second try to raise the bolt handle, but a lot of the ZQI was sticky on extraction. If I just made sure to be brisk on the extraction it was all coming out but it was absolutely a little sticky.

Otherwise I ran some Malaysian, lake city, south African, and GGG through the gun with no issues. Didn't have a range finder and couldn't tell my exact range but I say 80-100 yards and I was shooting an 10" gong and 6" gongs. Got my sights dialed in and shooting off hand I was doing pretty well. I like it!

Realy like the gun, but after shooting it shifted more left in the stock and is actually touching against the stock. Not sure if it's affecting anything but I don't like that.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would try a couple of things to see what is going on. Clean the chamber real good could be larger size rounds are sticking to something in the chamber like shipping stuff put all over the rifle to keep it safe when in a warehouse. It could be that simple. It also could just be a couple crap batches of ammo. The other ammo works fine that could be telling you something.

The action moving in the stock sounds like you don't have the action tightened correctly. Do you have a torque wrench or know some one that does? I have heard several reports of this and torquing the action screws correctly resolved the issue. The front screw at 90 in/lbs that's inch/pounds not foot/pounds but it is a lot tighter than it seems it is real tight.

After verifying every thing is correct if it still shifts in the stock send it back to Ruger there could be something wrong with the stock.

You are hitting gongs at around 100 off hand with regularity it don't sound that bad.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's properly torqued to spec.

Basically it sits ever so slightly off of the left side of the stock and I torque it down holding it as far to the right as possible, then after shooting a little bit it seems to 'settle in' and it shifts back to the left there it touches against te stock.

I know it's minor but it's bugging me. It's super off center in the stock and the fact that it shifts left to the point where it actually touches the stock tells Me it would continue to move left if that part of te stock wasn't In the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts