Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed, especially since the nearest Gander Mtn. became a Gander Gun World with four full cases of used guns, that used revolvers are scarce. In my area, at least. I seldom see any at Gander except a very few Tauruses, usually pretty beat up.

There is a local LGS that only sells used (can order new) and they seldom have any revolvers besides a couple of Ruger SAs, or ancient old break-tops.

Are people more likely to hang onto revolvers? Or are there just a lot fewer revolvers these days, so a lot fewer turn up used??

I have noticed that most of the used semi-autos are non-Colt 1911s, and Glocks. Gander usually has several Yugoslavian Tokarevs.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
revolvers

I've noticed, especially since the nearest Gander Mtn. became a Gander Gun World with four full cases of used guns, that used revolvers are scarce. In my area, at least. I seldom see any at Gander except a very few Tauruses, usually pretty beat up.

There is a local LGS that only sells used (can order new) and they seldom have any revolvers besides a couple of Ruger SAs, or ancient old break-tops.

Are people more likely to hang onto revolvers? Or are there just a lot fewer revolvers these days, so a lot fewer turn up used??

I have noticed that most of the used semi-autos are non-Colt 1911s, and Glocks. Gander usually has several Yugoslavian Tokarevs.
:)The "return to revolvers" trend is uncanny. Being a revolver lover, and avid reader of "GUNS", "AMERICAN HANDGUNNER", "GUN WORLD", and no end of internet articles it's true that RUGER, S&W, Charter, and Taurus are selling revolvers as fast as they can make 'em, and revolver people are hanging on to their wheelguns:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Don't know where they are. When I go to a gunstore I head right to the used gun case and there are usually only a few revolvers. Most of the younger gun owners I know have little or no interest in revolvers, they usually mention capacity as a buying point, I'm 59. I have noticed the prices of any good quality used revolvers are really increasing. Maybe others are like me and just hanging on to them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
In the shop I work in and buy from, used guns usually just go out the door in close to the same day we get them. Small wonder; they're a heck of a value.

Small revolvers usually go to women as a defense gun. Large revolvers go to 'collectors' who have some romance with the gun or its caliber.

We had a S&W 66 that was here for almost a week, pretty fair shape but didn't look all that great. Went out the door for $350. Kind of surprising actually. New S&W revolvers don't seem to move all that fast.

The 'sexyness' of a pistol usually works for ignorant buyers who are convinced they want a pistol but don't have a clue about caliber or maker.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I also have noticed more autoloaders in the used case, than revolvers. Is it because there have been more autoloaders sold in recent years? I dont really know. I do know that I like every revolver I own, but I have 2 autoloaders I dont like. I would sell them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have a lot of gun stores and pawn shops in the area. I ask for used Ruger and Smith revolvers as soon as I walk in the door. Rarely see any. When I do see one in good shape I do not hesitate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There's a lot less manufacturers of revolvers, especially quality revolvers than autos. And people hang on to revolvers more, I know I do.:)

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
A good quality revolver if cared for will last for many decades. I have only sold a few revolvers in the last ten years mostly i have somd my semi autos.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The rise in people getting CC permits has caused a spike in the demand for simple, easy to use small frame revolvers like LCR's and S&W Airweights. People want .357's that weigh next to nothing and gun makers oblige.

A lot of dealers also sell on GunBroker, so you just don't see the stuff on the shelves. My local dealer has had a 6" S&W Model 10-5 for almost a year, it's not even in the case, just listed on GunBroker. GunBroker is the new EBay for guns, there's a ton of used revolvers on there.

I think there are just fewer used revolvers in circulation these days, the days of the police and security trade-ins are pretty much over as almost no one uses revolvers as duty guns anymore, except some State Corrections dept's. Last winter there were a TON of used S&W 64's out there, Ohio Corrections traded in 10's of thousands of them and every gun show I went to had tables full of them. Now we have all these Australian Model 10's, and I was lucky enough to snag 5 ex-security Service Six .38's when I had the chance.

I recall back in 2002 or so, gun shows would have tons of trade in S&W's and Rugers for dirt cheap.

Now, anything nice is "collectible" like old, minty S&W's or Colts, and a nice used Ruger is hard to come by these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts