Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this question in the Double action section because my question is for a scoped Redhawk, but I have a 7 1/2" SBH that I want to add a scope or red dot (I haven's decided what yet), so the question is pertinent for this forum as well because I'll most likely use the same method for both guns.

Also, I'm not sure if this question belongs in the handgun accessories section, but I thought the pistol section would be more specific to this situation.

For Xmas my wife got me a Redhawk Hunter model with Lupold 2X scope. (Actually the first time she even saw it was when I opened it on Xmas eve), but I got something I liked so she was happy.

Anyway, I thought I would like to try it deer hunting next year, but I'm not sure what's the best way to carry it in the field. I've seen holsters that will handle the pistol with a scope, but only if the scope is mounted on the top strap, not over the barrel like the rings on the Hunter model mount.

I was thinking of some sort of sling or strap (I'm envisioning a clamp on band on the barrel and a swivel that clamps to the grip frame under the grips.

So far all my searching hasn't turned up anything even remotely like I'm looking for, so I may need to go into MacGyver mode and come up with something like I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any better suggestions or methods that they employ carrying a long barrel scoped handgun in the field.

Thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Simply urged has a unit that I'm thinking about trying otherwise I've used an uncle mikes rig on a 7-1/2" scoped redhawk with the rings attached to the barrel as you described ( my uncle mikes is probly 15-20 yrs old so not sure if it's still in production)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dad45, you must be using your phone or a tablet that "corrects" words for you. I typed in "Simply Urged" into google and it came back with Simply Rugged Holsters. How does it know?

Anyway, I saw the holster, it looks pretty bulky, but so is the gun. I have to give it some serious thought, as a $250.00 is something I better give a lot of thought to before buying one and deciding that I don't like it.

Thanks for the info, my searches didn't turn up any holsters I could use. At a quick look I didn't see anything on Uncle Mike's site, so I still need to be looking around.

·
Banned
269 Posts
I had a big mikes bandolier shoulder holster, when I had a scope on my super redhawk.

I put it away because it was bulky, and didn't fit inside the holster really well with the scope attached. and it fit either over the left or right shoulder.

UTG makes a deluxe shoulder holster with two straps like a pair of suspenders, UTG also makes vertical shoulder holsters too, like big mikes. which I wouldn't buy again.

currently I have some form of a UTG holster, I cannot remember the exact model, I'm thinking its the deluxe model, but I think it was made for a tactical /rifle type pistol. and by rifle type pistol, I mean I think it was made for a H&K or M&P submachine gun, but it fits the super redhawk. and has straps around the sides and bottom to tighten the pistol securely into the holster.

and since its a shoulder holster its easy to carry while hunting. it cost about $23.

but the holster I'm describing wont hold a pistol with a scope on it,

i've never found a holster that would actually fit a scoped pistol.

that's why I took my scope off my .44 super redhawk.

if anyone knows of a good holster that is comfortable and can accommodate a scope, please post, I'd like to put the scope back on my .44 someday.

·
Banned
269 Posts
I take that back, I did find a scoped holster a long time ago, but it was too much

$160 made by Galco the Kodiak Hunter shoulder holster.

I never got it because it was $160.

if you look on ebay and type in your barrel length and add the scope to the keywords, there are a few different types. but not made out of leather like the Galco.

and if you go to opticsplanet.com and search galco holsters, there is a section you can type in your gun model, and it will give you the part number for that holster to order, they have them for $155.

they don't have the redhawk model listed though, but they do the blackhawk, but its the same barrel length, I wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference, but not certain either that a blackhawk model holster would work, I think the only difference is that its a single action pistol, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RugerAR

I also posted this on the double action forum and there's some good pictures of a Chest Holster system from 7X Leather that a member posted. Check it out.

The holster systems on the site look pretty nice, but they're not cheap.

·
Banned
269 Posts
a chest holster would be perfect for hunting. looks like from the website from 7x leather its a custom order type deal. $245? maybe that was for the big guy, haha.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Dad45, you must be using your phone or a tablet that "corrects" words for you. I typed in "Simply Urged" into google and it came back with Simply Rugged Holsters. How does it know?

Correct on the I pad

Anyway, I saw the holster, it looks pretty bulky, but so is the gun. I have to give it some serious thought, as a $250.00 is something I better give a lot of thought to before buying one and deciding that I don't like

Yes to bulky, I can say I have a simply rugged cattleman for a single action and the quality is top notch if that makes a difference for you
Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
From what the OP is talking about I would suggest using a good shoulder holster made for the revolver that the OP has.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I used to carry with the cheap Uncle Mike's shoulder setup, back when I was hunting with a scoped 44 mag. It worked, but then I didn't have to walk too far with it while hunting. We didn't have a lot of options for holsters, anyway, in those days.

These days, I'd spend the money on a good leather shoulder rig, Simply Rugged and so on. Having done my share of carrying these big bores, I think it would be money very well spent, especially if you have to hike a lot. Don't go cheap.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I had an Uncle Mikes Shoulder holster, when I carried my 14" scoped Contender, it was fairly inexpensive, but it did the trick and was really comfortable in hiking. It was quite a while ago so I don't remember the exact cost any more. Granted it wasn't leather, but it was very comfortable when I got in the prone position to actually shoot, unlike what leather would be like pushing against the body.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have an older Tex Shoemaker holster for a 7.5" Redhawk which has an open top strap area that runs down to the mid barrel area. It was made for carrying the revolver with a scope mounted. I don't know if they still make them (heard the company is now being run by his sons) but doesn't hurt to contact them and see if they can help you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a Super Blackhawk Hunter which I have used scoped and with a red dot, and I am using a Galco Kodiak Hunter which is a really unique holster for a few reasons.

It's open top design makes it compact and even easier to draw the revolver from than the regular Kodiak for un scoped revolvers, and it has no extra bulk if you use it with the bare revolver.

It also works very well with both the Redhawk, Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk.

It carries securely and is easy to adjust.

Another Major Plus is you can have it Tomorrow. No wait time for it to be made.

I found mine used in a LGS for a good discount, but after using it I would buy it again new if I lost it now.

Here's an Amazon link, and in fact I posted a review on there just a couple days ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Kodiak-...451532518&sr=8-2&keywords=galco+kodiak+hunter

The Galco site has better pictures of how it carries:
https://www.galcogunleather.com/kodiak-hunter-shoulder-holster_8_451_1178.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I got a lot of good information from the double action and single action groups, so thanks everyone and i wanted to share a kind of holster hack that I came up with.

I thought I'd wait until after the holiday bills to clear before I started shopping for a holster for my scoped Redhawk, and the other night I had a thought, 10 + years ago I bought this while I was finishing my basement, but never used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Br.../dp/B00002243Q

I dug it out of my tools bench and tried it out. Actually I was surprised it fit so well. This will work until I decide on the style and manufacturer for an across the chest holster.

1.jpe

2.jpe

3.jpe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts