Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will have my 10/22 in a week or two. Never had one! So my question how easy or hard is it to field strip and clean? Any special tricks ? And I will also be searching You Tube but sometime first hand info is better :)
Bummer about the 10/22 is I do not have it yet but and searching for goodies to buy already :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I drill the cleaning hole in the rear of the receiver on mine. Getting the bolt out can be an issue, there is a tool you can buy off of Ebay that helps. Can't remember who I got mine from. I use a bore snake when I shoot competition,after every 25 rounds and only tear the gun down about every 500 rounds or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Slugger hit the nail on the head. I use a bore snake and a patch worm, it works well for me. Getting the bolt in or out can be a bit tricky, but very doable. The pins in my action housing are very loose and I have to be careful not to let them fall out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bullwhip,
Replace those pins with the pins from Kidd that have the screws in the ends. They don't fall out and you can tighten the trigger group into the receiver to stabilize the trigger, stopping any extra movement of the trigger housing.
Slugger

·
Registered
29 Posts
Strip and clean before firing. Two of my four were loaded with heavy grease that took multiple passes to remove (barrels). The bolts were heavily coated but cleaned up easily.

I use blue painters tape to hold the pins in place; eventually, I will go to the Kidd pins mentioned above. For now, I am having too much fun shooting to do many mods (except for two Brimstone trigger jobs).

Note: Down to three now. LGS had a 1984 77-22 that I could not pass up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bolt tool available from TandemKross

I drill the cleaning hole in the rear of the receiver on mine. Getting the bolt out can be an issue, there is a tool you can buy off of Ebay that helps. Can't remember who I got mine from. I use a bore snake when I shoot competition,after every 25 rounds and only tear the gun down about every 500 rounds or so.
Sponsor TandemKross has the bolt tool on their website -

https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmither-Ruger-1022-Bolt-Bar-and-Extractor-Tool_p_140.html

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've seen the bolt tools and almost bought one a couple of times, but haven't had any difficulty with disassemble/reassemble of mine with stock parts. I followed the videos on the Ruger web site and all worked out just like they show.

I usually run an Otis Ripcord down the barrel after shooting and while everything is still nice and warm.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a video that shows how to field strip the action, once you have removed the stock by undoing the action screw that sits in front of the magazine. The topic of the vid is actually installing a Kidd charging handle, but it shows the whole field-strip/re-assembly process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfR75RmRY3Q
Thanks for the link.. Good video :) Book marked

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
A little late chiming in but wanted to add that Joe's tool makes the reassembly go much easier. The other side of the tool also aids in changing the extractor if you ever become inclined to do so.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little late chiming in but wanted to add that Joe's tool makes the reassembly go much easier. The other side of the tool also aids in changing the extractor if you ever become inclined to do so.
Thanks for the info. It all really helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts