Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I was just curious if, the more a MK III is field stripped is it more likely for the possibility of a loose upper barrel/receiver to frame fit might develop? Thanks! :)
Don't know about the MkIII, but my 25 year old MKII assembles/disassembles easily but the upper and lower locks up nice and tight.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I've both field stripped and detail stripped my Marks (all 3 generations) many times and have never experienced any looseness developing. That said, your question is a valid one, and hopefully other forum members will chime in.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,359 Posts
P5200 ... I don't think you'll see a loose fit anytime soon (if ever). My MKIII512 has nearly 70,000 rounds down the pipe, and while it has been field striped more than 200 times, it's tight enough that it still requires a wack with the old mallet to remove the receiver from the grip frame ;)

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
looseness

P5200 ... I don't think you'll see a loose fit anytime soon (if ever). My MKIII512 has nearly 70,000 rounds down the pipe, and while it has been field striped more than 200 times, it's tight enough that it still requires a wack with the old mallet to remove the receiver from the grip frame ;)
Great testimonial to a great gun !! And I thought I was shooting a lot with 12000+- and 16000+- rounds down my Mark IIIs !!:)

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I did have a 50 year old Standard that was a bit sloppy in the frame/grip fit and given the condition of the gun, I'd guess it came from the factory that way. You could feel the frame slide a bit on the grip assembly when you cocked/released the bolt. No big deal, though. Gun functioned perfectly. Nonetheless, I made a shim from an aluminum can that I cut up and placed the shim in the notch where the grip frame and barrel join and problem solved.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I have seen a few old ones that were a little loose. The basic fix is a piece of soda can bent around the hook of the receiver.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,359 Posts
Great testimonial to a great gun !! And I thought I was shooting a lot with 12000+- and 16000+- rounds down my Mark IIIs !!:)
I'm sure that there are many that have MKIIs & MKIIIs with significantly higher round counts than mine. It's hard to beat the MK Series pistols for quality and longevity :)

... I made a shim from an aluminum can that I cut up and placed the shim in the notch where the grip frame and barrel join and problem solved.
I hope to live long enough and have a high enough round count to have to do that to my MKIII someday ;)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
From the OP I gathered that you were talking about the barrel to receiver fit. This is a threaded crush fit. In other words, there is too much material on the barrel to just thumb tighten the barrel onto the receiver. You have to put the heave hoe to tightening the barrel as some of the steel/stainless actually gets crushed during the installation (thus the term "Crush Fit"). That's the same way all their revolvers, MK77 rifles, 77-22,22 mag, 357, and 44 rifles are all attached. It is very important as when or if there is looseness in this fit, the barrel can come unscrewed or in the least cause you front sight to be out of whack.

If however, you are talking about the barrel/receiver's fit to the grip frame then that is a different problem altogether and the shim idea would work just fine if it's enough to bother you. Smithy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Not in your lifetime.....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not in your lifetime.....
I speak/spoke from experience as I once was going to mate a Dan Wesson Barrel Shroud with a MK II barrel (well before Volquartson chose to do a very similar thing). At the time I did not realize the cruse fit aspect of things and turned a little too much off. The end result was that the barrel unscrewed. So yes, I do in fact know what I'm talking about and it was well within my lifetime! Smithy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I speak/spoke from experience as I once was going to mate a Dan Wesson Barrel Shroud with a MK II barrel (well before Volquartson chose to do a very similar thing). At the time I did not realize the cruse fit aspect of things and turned a little too much off. The end result was that the barrel unscrewed. So yes, I do in fact know what I'm talking about and it was well within my lifetime! Smithy.
Got our wires crossed here, was responding to OP..... :D
(There was no quote.)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Never had any barrel/receiver to grip frame problems with stock Rugers. However I did add Tac Sol barrels to 2 of my MK IIs. One fit perfectly but the other one was loose. So I just used the shield (shim) as suggested by others and the fit is good on that one now. Even before the shim was added there was no problem with the operation of the pistol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.