Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my nv back from clements , he set the barrel gap,
cut the forcing cone to 11deg. turned the barrel , serated the front sight & corrected the timming , it now shoots way low now , i had 650 rds thru it before i sent it . ive setteled on 6.8 gr of unique with a 255 lswc, should i take the sight down 16th of an inch at at a time? the groups were great just way way low , any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,812 Posts
Spitn Lead, First, that load is very light for a 255 gr bullet. 8 grains of Unique produces about the exact same velocity as a factory round (850 fps) and will make the muzzle rise enough more where you should be right on target.

A small change in sight height makes a huge change in POI. You can figure each .007" of sight height makes a 1" POI change at 25 yds. 1/16" would move the POI about 9".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iowegan , i just off the phone with my bro , it was 7.8 grains of unique i was shooting at 45 ft. he had some 7.8's still shooting way low , 8" tagets hitting dead center but at the bottom of the board.
Thanks.
SL.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iowegan / REB ,Thank you very much , a great help . I'm going to the indoor range Thursday , i'll put it in a ransome rest & test my loads , i have 231 @ 7.2 and 7.8 of unique behind a 255 lswc , i shall go from there . i really appreciate the advice. this is a great forum.
Regards,
Joe ( aka Spitn Lead )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts