Ruger Forum banner

Filing sharp edges on a black gp100

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  wproct 
#1 ·
Howdy, I have used a couple friends gp100s and both have had sharp edges and burrs present on the trigger guard. I'm thinking of getting one in black, but if I try to sand/file down the rough edges will it remove the black finish?
Thanks!

#2 ·
Yes it will. The black is actually a hot blued finish and if you sand or file it off you will expose carbon steel. There are cold blue touch up products you can buy and apply. It won’t be a perfect match but will protect the metal and make it look more uniform.

#7 ·
I think you'll like the 5" GP100 357 model 1740. Mine had a sharp trigger guard I sanded smooth with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The brush strokes on the barrel were sloppy but easily fixed. The front sight pin kept backing out so I dimpled it with vise grips and tapped it back in. All minor issues and it's now fine. I like blued guns but you can't beat stainless for easy touch up.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#9 ·
Yeah, I really regret buying my 5" GP100 Lipsey version. I had to send it back twice. The second time I got it back they filed the part of the trigger assembly so it would stay in the frame. I was able to change the hammer spring but I couldn't budge the trigger spring thing, so thats the way it stays. My 6" stainless I had no problems but the sharp edges inside cut my fingers up, but they are on the inside. Both guns shoot to POA, which in my hands is somewhere on a 20 x 30" target at 25 yds.!

#11 ·
It's just way too tight. That's because apparently they just filed enough off to let the trigger assembly go into the frame where it's supposed to be, but I had the perfect sized pin punch trying to push in the retainer and it was just way too tight. I can live with it...'til I sell it! They ARE nice-looking guns, though.

#12 ·
I see what you are talking about now. I think you are talking about the plunger that you have to push in to get the trigger group out of the frame? It can be difficult to push in. I have to use a plastic mallet or hammer to smack the punch to get the plunger to go in. After a person has done it a time or two, it gets easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.