Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scrounge a lot of my brass at the range. After I clean it up I inspect it. Sometimes there will be a burr on the head of the shell. I just take a file and knock it off. Sometimes I don't catch it till I got it loaded. I still just knock it off till it fits my gauge. Does anybody else do this? Do you just pitch it, and say the heck with it?[?]
[:eek:)][^][:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep Sheepdog. Some of them little suckers are sharp as they can be and tear a gouge in the head of the case.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If I would find them-I'd dremel or rasp or sand them off-be concerned about them coming off in the loading or shooting and causing a click-but I never reloaded auto----yet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
quote: I scrounge a lot of my brass at the range. After I clean it up I inspect it. Sometimes there will be a burr on the head of the shell. I just take a file and knock it off. Sometimes I don't catch it till I got it loaded. I still just knock it off till it fits my gauge. Does anybody else do this? Do you just pitch it, and say the heck with it?
Baldy,
Yes I have done, and still do it. I have had my own lever guns put burrs on case rims to the point they wouldn't fit into the shell holders. So I filed the burrs off.
When I recover cases from the range or desert or where ever I inspect them thoroughly. That includes trying them in a shell holder.
When I find burrs I simply file them off.

Joe

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've had .45 ACP brass that sometimes has a burr, usually brass that's been loaded Lord knows how many times. I do the same. Just a touch of the file takes 'em off.
Baker

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yes I have filed off burr's. Also I save all my junk brass that has split and is no longer safe to reload and sell it. It's $.78 a pound last time I sold it. Made close to 30 bucks off a milk jug full of that brass.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,315 Posts
I keep a mill smooth file at my reloading bench. The last thing I do before putting loaded ammo in boxes is to test them in a Wilson or Dillon case gauge. Often I will find case heads with a little ding that won't quite go in the gauge. I'm convinced this reduces malfunctions in my autoloaders. I occasionally find rimmed case heads with a ding too. That ding will prevent a case from chambering if your cylinder is recessed.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
45acp only, and not if it's been well used. I have a jewelers file set and there are several files in there that work. I'm not fancy like Iowegan, I test them in the press shellholder and if they don't bind, and turn smoothly while exerting pressure back into the die, I consider them good to go. If I find badly deformed / dented case mouths they get chunked too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.