Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great gun I have took deer and groundhog with mine open sights very accurate 240 gr jhp is my favorite to use. Also have one in stainless with a Leupold scope thinking of taking it off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THAT IS AN IMPRESSIVE HUNK OF STEEL! Show us pictures when yours comes in.
Absolutely my friend. I can’t wait to get my mitts on it. Little brother had one with a long barrel. Wasn’t this long but pretty long. I only got to shoot it the one time before he sold it. That was like 15 years or so ago. There’s just something about an obnoxiously big revolver that just makes it that much more fun. Purdy to look at too. My first 500 mag was a 4”. Sold it for the 8-3/8” just for that reason.

Old one

New one

Although, I’ll admit, the combat grip I put on the old one was more wrist friendly, it just looked silly on the new one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Way back in 2001 or so there was one on a table at a gun show for 250.00. I sometimes regret passing it by. At the time my tastes ran to shorter barrels. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Found a blued 10.5 in model locally myself $550 00. Put it on hold until I sell my Redhawk .44 hunter model I never shot it much and realized I didn’t need the double action. Looking forward to shooting the SBH.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a blued 10.5 in model locally myself $550 00. Put it on hold until I sell my Redhawk .44 hunter model I never shot it much and realized I didn’t need the double action. Looking forward to shooting the SBH.
Had the timing been different, I would have taken that Redhawk off your hands. I spent $4k on guns and $1.5k on reload supplies over the last 2-3 weeks. Pretty sure my wife might shoot me with my own gun 😂.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know you had decided to get one and I didn't want to try and dissuade you. I have a blued version I got from the same store that the guy that shot Lennon bought his from. Right after he got shot him I remember because they had a BB with all the hate mail posted on it. It was an impulse buy after I got my Sec 6. It was on sale for $299 and I had that much so I couldn't resist. That was back when silhouette shooting was big. I wouldn't dare try to lay it on my leg to brace it today. It shoots great but seems too long and unwieldy. I thought about either lopping it off or having the barrel replaced with a 7-1/2." It has a sweet 1.3lb trigger on it so It's definatly a keeper even though through out it's life it had its neglect period and has the rust pittting to prove it.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
349 Posts
I saw one of those about 12 years ago in a used gun store, if I recall the price was around the hi $480ish. I almost bought it, went home to think about it and the next day when I went to get it the gun was gone. I hope it is everything you are looking to get out of a long barrel revolver. Congrats

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you had decided to get one and I didn't want to try and dissuade you. I have a blued version I got from the same store that the guy that shot Lennon bought his from. Right after he got shot him I remember because they had a BB with all the hate mail posted on it. It was an impulse buy after I got my Sec 6. It was on sale for $299 and I had that much so I couldn't resist. That was back when silhouette shooting was big. I wouldn't dare try to lay it on my leg to brace it today. It shoots great but seems too long and unwieldy. I thought about either lopping it off or having the barrel replaced with a 7-1/2." It has a sweet 1.3lb trigger on it so It's definatly a keeper even though through out it's life it had its neglect period and has the rust pittting to prove it.
Yeah, shooting long barrel revolvers is a bit different. It should be about the same overall length as my 500, just not as heavy. I bought it as a novelty gun. Just something fun to shoot, out of the ordinary. I’m going to have a holster made for it similar to this, just raise the holster a few inches so it rides higher.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, shooting long barrel revolvers is a bit different. It should be about the same overall length as my 500, just not as heavy. I bought it as a novelty gun. Just something fun to shoot, out of the ordinary. I’m going to have a holster made for it similar to this, just raise the holster a few inches so it rides higher.

View attachment 151917
Ought to be fun drawing the gun from that rig. Careful you don't throw your shoulder out. Congrats though. Be sure to post pics of the gun in that shoulder rig.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ought to be fun drawing the gun from that rig. Careful you don't throw your shoulder out. Congrats though. Be sure to post pics of the gun in that shoulder rig.
If I can get the grip seated just below the left peck, it shouldn’t be too bad.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Philmo ... Welcome to the Big Boys Long Barrel club very nice looking Smoke Wagon indeed . Love my SRH 44mag 9.5in barrel with scope but I was looking at the time at the SBH but Something about the SRH just got me ... Enjoy and tell us how it shoots

·
Registered
843 Posts
Picked up my blued SBH .44 today. Shipped in 1981. Looks great to be 40 years old. The grips are checked don’t know if they or original or not.
Nice SBH, you should enjoy it. The grips appears to be original but someone did a checkering job on them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts