Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
You guys are killing me.....I got a lead on a 98% gun with all the stuff that it shipped with for $895.00 plus.

I don't need any more single action guns......but, but, but these look like they'd be some much fun to shoot.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice!
I need to find a blued one to go along with my stainless 10".
The stainless barrel is non tapered unlike the blued model which has a taper barrel that feels better when you dont scope it.
Enjoy it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice SBH, you should enjoy it. The grips appears to be original but someone did a checkering job on them.
Hard to tell about the checking on The grips. They did a pretty good job. but They don’t fit very well up past the Ruger button. Might be home made will remove and check out the back.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Grabbed some screenshots from the site

View attachment 151977
oohh it has the knuckle buster dragoon square back.... I have it in 4 5/8, without the square back. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I sent it back to the mother ship, job done mate.. shoot it in good health.

thewelshm

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah, after a closer look, the grips do appear to be homemade. Luckily enough there's a verity of SBH grips to be had for comfort and looks. The Dragoon trigger guard has been known to rattle the knuckles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, after a closer look, the grips do appear to be homemade. Luckily enough there's a verity of SBH grips to be had for comfort and looks. The Dragoon trigger guard has been known to rattle the knuckles.
Shot it today recoil was manageable. No bloody knuckles yet probably stay away from high pressure loads it is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, there’s a fairly large range in 44 magnum. Most off the shelf ammo is going to fall between 750-950lbs of energy. There’s a lot more knuckle busting potential out there if you get the itch.

I’m waiting for mine to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully my background check came back. Doubt it but hoping anyway. I have 400 new brass to load up and I want the gun to test with so I can be sure to stay under that knuckle busting threshold everyone is talking about. I have a derringer, 3” .410 magnum buckshot will bust your knuckles plenty. 2-1/2” shells aren’t bad.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My Bond Derringer is amonster on yuor knuckles! I won't shoot 3" stuff much anymore as it really hurts and the thing is freakin louder! I got 2.5"/3"/4" models. Still love to shoot them especially Galley loads with 454 round balls over Trail Boss. They blow open a squirrel at 10 yards. Hehehe:p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My Bond Derringer is amonster on yuor knuckles! I won't shoot 3" stuff much anymore as it really hurts and the thing is freakin louder! I got 2.5"/3"/4" models. Still love to shoot them especially Galley loads with 454 round balls over Trail Boss. They blow open a squirrel at 10 yards. Hehehe:p
You could probably get away with Trail Boss but I would not chamber a factory 454 in it.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You could probably get away with Trail Boss but I would not chamber a factory 454 in it.

View attachment 152250

I don't believe his post is about .454 Casull.

It is a .454" round lead ball (like you'd use for a cap and ball revolver) over a light powder charge. Sounds like a good cure for a case of the squirrels.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't believe his post is about .454 Casull.

It is a .454" round lead ball (like you'd use for a cap and ball revolver) over a light powder charge. Sounds like a good cure for a case of the squirrels.
lol, my brain jumped straight to 454 Casull because there were people shooting them because they will chamber.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
She is home. Ran a cylinder of Armscor 44 magnum cowboy loads through it, 1100 fps advertised speed but I’m sure they were going a bit faster through this barrel.

It’s in mint condition. Very happy about that. I’ll grab more pics later.

Next to my 6.5” Singe-Six Bisleys

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was 1” longer than my 500, sight radius that is..
Nice stainless SBH. There was one for sale when I first found the blued one but he who hesitates loses. Question while we’re on the subject of the Dragoon trigger guard. Was it the original trigger guard on the first SBH and where did the name come from?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice stainless SBH. There was one for sale when I first found the blued one but he who hesitates loses. Question while we’re on the subject of the Dragoon trigger guard. Was it the original trigger guard on the first SBH and where did the name come from?
That’s an interesting question. I can’t answer where it came from. Ruger’s dragoon grip frame is larger than the SAA grip frame. I just posted a comparison between the Super Blackhawk with the dragoon grip frame and the 45 Blackhawk Bisley. What I found was interesting. Rather than link to another site, let me go grab the text and repost it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
From the other thread...

Now that I have both the 45 Blackhawk Bisley and the Super Blackhawk 44, here are some comparison photos.

The guns are built on the same size frame.

The grips are the same length from the bottom of the grip frame to the top of the inside curve, giving you the full grip of the Bisley.

One of the differences (aside from the swept SAA style on the SBH) is how high the Bisley grip frame goes up on the gun’s frame, giving the illusion that the Bisley hammer is much lower than the Super Blackhawk.

The height of the hammer is in fact very close when measured from the inside of the grip frame to the top of the hammer (which dictates how far the reach is). The Blackhawk Bisley is 2.621”, the Super Blackhawk is 2.781” the difference is only ~1/8”.

The cylinders are the same diameter. The bore bore is different. The 45 cylinder won’t go into the 44 because it is a hair longer.

The hammers themselves are similar. The Super Blackhawk hammer is a little wider on the thumb spur, however, when drawn back, they end up in the same place. If you had huge gorilla hands, the Super Blackhawk might give you a bit more room in the webbing between your thumb and hand due to the top of the grip frame being lower.

Hope this settles some questions between the Super Blackhawk with the square back dragoon grip frame and the Blackhawk Bisley.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts