Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Photo loaded this time. That is beautiful and congratulations. I like the grips on those now that I am older. Any grip on that one would be nice. One day I will get one and can not wait. They are pricey around here and the one I looked at last week had too much cone damage for the asking price. He would not budge for me but sold x2 days later for what he wanted.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Great looking pistol you have there.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Nice :) . Hopefully it will be a good shooter for you. Let us know :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just ordered a Blackhawk 4.62” 45LC through Grab A Gun last week. I have a set of imitation ivory with the medallions from my old Vaquero that should fit.

My wife says I can’t have it until Christmas though. 😟

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered a Blackhawk 4.62” 45LC through Grab A Gun last week. I have a set of imitation ivory with the medallions from my old Vaquero that should fit.

My wife says I can’t have it until Christmas though. 😟
Women.🤪

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm thinking of trying some black powder reloading for it.
Try loading Hodgdon 777 instead of real Black.
You get the deep boom, and lots of smoke, but easier clean up and 777 isn't hygroscopic like Black.
Velocity with a 250 grain bullet is right at 1000 fps., so they aren't wimpy loads, but Hodgdon lists pressure at well under 13,000,so safe for any Colt or colt clones as well.
As with black, use magnum primers and fill so the bullet compresses the powder 1/10" or so.
I've also loaded 777 in .44/40 and .45/70.
A pic of a friend shooting 777:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You get the deep boom, and lots of smoke, but easier clean up and 777 isn't hygroscopic like Black.
Velocity with a 250 grain bullet is right at 1000 fps., so they aren't wimpy loads, but Hodgdon lists pressure at well under 13,000,so safe for any Colt or colt clones as well.
As with black, use magnum primers and fill so the bullet compresses the powder 1/10" or so.
Love it. Just want to do it for the nostalgia, but it also could come in handy some day if the case arise that other powders become scarce or such.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Love it. Just want to do it for the nostalgia, but it also could come in handy some day if the case arise that other powders become scarce or such.
That sure looks like FUN!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the flat top 45/45 acp and it is a pleasure to both pack and shoot. Mine is stainless with those white grips. Took about 3 years to find one. Enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the .45

I'm on my second .45 Blackhawk. The first was a second-hand 4 5/8", dual cylinder gun. Muzzle blast out of the short barrel with heavy loads of H-110 powder was spectacular. It went down the road after a few years. The replacement for is a new 5 1/2" barrel, which I find to balance better. A nice accurate gun with a pretty nice trigger out of the box.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts