Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally made it to the range with daughter and a bud. ruger vaquero 45 colt was spot on. Forgot the camera but daughter kept them all in a 8" bull shoot-n-c target at 10 yards:). Thought this was good as shiney bright stainless sights are not the easist thing to see and the vaquero sights are far from target grade with that small notch. These are the loads she made herself (under my supervision) with a lee loader:D. Hogden clays powder and a 255gr swagged lead bullet. Mild recoil and accurate. This will teach her to slow down on shooting and pick her shots as it takes a while to build the ammo. She's deadly with a rifle and shotgun but still needs to work on her handgun skills. target will get smaller next time out.

The ruger 77 rsi in 250 sav needed some tweeking on the scope. I am starting to question the scope. its a swift 4x so it will get replaced soon hopefully. looking at weaver and nikon 4x. Dang leupold 4x is getting high and burris quit the fullfield 4x. Staying with 4x on her gun--matter of priniciple. 4x scopes of decent quality seem to be getting far and few. Might just save the money and hold out for leupold--it will last a lifetime. Guess i'm out of date for the times wanting a 4x......

bud's marlin 30-30 was rock solid. Remington 170gr in silver dollar groups. Tried some win 150 silvertips and it was erractic. We'll stick with the 170's. No one in this area sells the hornady loads which is my perfered round. Talked him out of the 7mm rem mag scoped special. Never did like that rem mdl 710 bolt gun. Saving the brass--we'll get around to reloading for the 30-30.

My shooting for the day was the ruger p90. Was as it always is with no suprises----no jams and accurate. Still wish ruger would make one of these in dao.

a good day.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Sounds like your daughter did good deputy! I have a hard time seeing black sights any more, let alone polished stainless ones. I don't think you're old fashioned on the scope. Unless you're going to be shooting crows and prairie dogs, why would you need more than 4x? It makes a good compromise for deer and most shooting. I know what you mean on the scope prices. All my guns used to wear Leupold. Can't afford it any more. I've got a couple of Bushnell 3200 Elite scopes that I like a lot. They're clear, don't fog up and while not cheap, were still quite a bit less than a Leupold. I've also got a Burris that sure wasn't cheap, and I don't like it at all. It's just not as clear as the Bushnells. I have never been a Bushnell fan, but these are top notch.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Glad ya had a good day at the range. 4X power is all ya need pal I have never had to shoot a deer more than a hundred yards myself. I have all the high power scopes seems like but 3X9 or 4X10 Got a 6X24 for the long shots that I take lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts