Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
umm... i may be mistaken, but the vertical grip on that Charger could land you into federal trouble... on the other hand, the Magpul foregrip below it is perfectly legal...

it's all quite stupid really though... i mean, the factory bipod with the Charger can function as a vertical foregrip, pistol braces also work on shoulders, etc.

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
234 Posts
umm... i may be mistaken, but the vertical grip on that Charger could land you into federal trouble... on the other hand, the Magpul foregrip below it is perfectly legal...

it's all quite stupid really though... i mean, the factory bipod with the Charger can function as a vertical foregrip, pistol braces also work on shoulders, etc.

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Yep willie,
that folded back bi-pod is an excellent fore grip.. The Stark grip is legal, even was sold by Ruger for this gun. It is one of my favorite Mods.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chargers are like Volkswagens - more bolt-on parts than you could ever imagine. I bought mine two years ago, found the grip-trigger distance too long for my hands, and started bolting on stuff. This is what I ended up with...

It shoots where I aim it, and interestingly, likes CCI Minimag and Vipers. Never had a failure to feed or eject.
curious to know if your overall length is over 26"...as vertical fore end grips are not allowed if not....unless registered first

·
Registered
229 Posts
curious to know if your overall length is over 26"...as vertical fore end grips are not allowed if not....unless registered first
that was my question... of course, if registered then that's OK...

why do these stupid regs even exist?

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It adds stability in my head.
Thanks for the close up! Stability in the head is important. Even if actual results are minimal the threaded muzzle just needs something screwed on besides a thread protector. I'm going to check the Pike website.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hickok is right. It does not serve a practical purpose. The original Ruger 22 pistol is far superior for carry or target practice. The 1022 rifle is far superior for hunting. So, while not the best at practical stuff, I bought one of the first, blue takedown. The 10 inch barrel is near optimum for most 22 rounds, and with the new 45 grain subsonic 22 ammo you get a boost in power for a gun that does nothing best. I put a $25 Reflex site on mine and left my pistol scope on the shelf. It has a smiley face as one of 4 sighting pictures. It is dramatically accurate. And, for this worthless design, I added a $200 suppressor, with the @200 tax of course. I often carry it in a backpack while stand hunting for deer. I do believe it would work for head shots on coyotes at reasonable ranges, we shall see. Totally silent, portable, and just plain fun. For old guys who just like to sit in a chair and see how far they can zap stuff, it is great. And if you fish on private land, a portable table makes these great tool for the occasional snake or turtle, they both eat lost of fish. As an old CCW instructor, things like this are great for new shooters, usually women who have never shot guns. Set them up, have them fire 50 rounds and suddenly their fear of guns went way down. I really do suggest folks take a look at 22 suppressors, they are truly quiet and worth all the hassle. Just wish I had got mine 40 years ago. People at the range are amazed. And of course, you can thread any 22, 17, 22 mag or similar caliber for use with them.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You and I are on the same page Oldgringo. I am the "old guy in a chair" zapping stuff. But I use a rifle in .17HMR for turtles due to reduced ricochet potential. I can see the Charger in the deer stand with me and my rifle. The chattering squirrel or armadillo crashing about better look out!

·
Registered
264 Posts
rws - it is 18 7/8" from the rear sling swivel (which I added) to the end of the flash suppressor. About the same as a stock model with the same suppressor. As for the vertical grip, my left rotator cup is permanently torn - I can't comfortably hold the bottom of any stock, and the Magpul grip just isn't comfortable, either. Asked a buddy on our Capitol Security about that straight grip (he has ATF connections), and he said it's not a problem, the gun is still a semi-auto pistol, not a full auto, nor any modifications such as a crank or slide fire stock.

·
Registered
270 Posts
rws - it is 18 7/8" from the rear sling swivel (which I added) to the end of the flash suppressor. About the same as a stock model with the same suppressor. As for the vertical grip, my left rotator cup is permanently torn - I can't comfortably hold the bottom of any stock, and the Magpul grip just isn't comfortable, either. Asked a buddy on our Capitol Security about that straight grip (he has ATF connections), and he said it's not a problem, the gun is still a semi-auto pistol, not a full auto, nor any modifications such as a crank or slide fire stock.
vertical grip on a pistol is a problem unless registered

Google search "verticle grip on a pistol" and find out for youself.

ATF ruling...the 6th paragraph in particular

·
Registered
264 Posts
rws - thanks for the info. Over several years, and buying accessories at my LGS and chain stores, even mentioning what they could be used on, no one ever mentioned this situation.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts