Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Rugers: Mk II, 10-22, 44 Carbine, PC9 Carbine
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the early 70s my cousin and I regularly ran the hills and hollers (hollows to non-southerners) day and night and we always were armed with weapons from our father's collections of firearms. My father's collections of guns would often change as he was always wheeling and dealing with folks on cars, firearms or land. We would drive around and see rabbits, squirrels groundhogs, etc and often stop, hop out of the truck and fire away (we never thought whether it was legal or illegal, it was fun though). Of all the different weapons I had access to, my two favorite weapons to carry were a surplus M1 carbine and the Ruger 44 carbine and I recall enjoying shooting the 44 in those days more than any other. One day the Ruger carbine was gone, my dad had traded it off and I was almost heartbroken. I talked my Dad into keeping the M1 carbine (he had used on in the Pacific and I now own it) and I vowed I would own another 44 carbine.

In the last few years I decided to seriously look for one and I found a very clean 81 model for a great price, literally from a friend of a friend and I brought it home yesterday. After I sold my last 44 mag pistol I almost got rid of my 44 mag loaded rounds, as well as my shell and 240g bullets (I did sell my 44 mag dies, but they are easy to acquire). Product Musical instrument Wood Textile Art
Wood Textile Rectangle Art Creative arts
Musical instrument Wood Textile Art Pattern
Wood Line Rectangle Art Tints and shades

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
In the early 70s my cousin and I regularly ran the hills and hollers (hollows to non-southerners) day and night and we always were armed with weapons from our father's collections of firearms. My father's collections of guns would often change as he was always wheeling and dealing with folks on cars, firearms or land. We would drive around and see rabbits, squirrels groundhogs, etc and often stop, hop out of the truck and fire away (we never thought whether it was legal or illegal, it was fun though). Of all the different weapons I had access to, my two favorite weapons to carry were a surplus M1 carbine and the Ruger 44 carbine and I recall enjoying shooting the 44 in those days more than any other. One day the Ruger carbine was gone, my dad had traded it off and I was almost heartbroken. I talked my Dad into keeping the M1 carbine (he had used on in the Pacific and I now own it) and I vowed I would own another 44 carbine.

In the last few years I decided to seriously look for one and I found a very clean 81 model for a great price, literally from a friend of a friend and I brought it home yesterday. After I sold my last 44 mag pistol I almost got rid of my 44 mag loaded rounds, as well as my shell and 240g bullets (I did sell my 44 mag dies, but they are easy to acquire). View attachment 160599 View attachment 160600 View attachment 160601 View attachment 160602
Nice and congrats ... I'm a sucker for a carbine with a good wood stock ... I bet she shoots like a dream ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love mine, it is the rotary mag model. Great bush/whitetail carbine. After I killed a small buck with it, I kind of put it away since parts are unavailable.
Oh yeah...you have the Deerstalker with the M1 style bolt assembly...I like the looks of that firearm!

·
Banned
448 Posts

In the last few years I decided to seriously look for one and I found a very clean 81 model for a great price, literally from a friend of a friend and I brought it home yesterday. After I sold my last 44 mag pistol I almost got rid of my 44 mag loaded rounds, as well as my shell and 240g bullets (I did sell my 44 mag dies, but they are easy to acquire). View attachment 160599 View attachment 160600 View attachment 160601 View attachment 160602
Nice Blanket there!! And the Ruger is not too shabby either!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't beat a vintage Pendleton wool blanket for warmth...I have a few of them that I picked up at pawn shops in the Navajo Nation while on a few different motorcycle camping trips across the US when I was a younger man in (what seems like) a different life.

Thanks...good eye!

·
Registered
861 Posts
You can't beat a vintage Pendleton wool blanket for warmth...I have a few of them that I picked up at pawn shops in the Navajo Nation while on a few different motorcycle camping trips across the US when I was a younger man in (what seems like) a different life.

Thanks...good eye!
I have one that was a gift for my college grad, from a Navajo friend.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,276 Posts
Nice pick-up.

My Ruger .44 Carbine is one of my favorite rifles.

Reactions: crowtalks

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Never sell reloading dies ... they don't eat any hay and no sooner do you sell them than you want them back and they never get cheaper ... they all ways cost more ...sometimes a LOT more .
Reloading Rule #1 : Don't sell paid for dies !
Gary

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand...I think I was needing funds from one of my divorces or something. However, found a new set..for $53. (I think you said "...and no sooner do you sell them than you want them back and they never get cheaper ... they all ways cost more ...sometimes a LOT more") yup!

Fortunately my inlaw has a set of dies and I have the powder, cases, bullets and beer so we are all set. (for those who think reloading and beer is dangerous...I said ginger ale)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Certified Cajun...I was looking at your signature...is that Mark 1 and 2 Rugers or Enfields? (since I also see Lee Enfield)
Ruger Mark I - Target pistol blue , Ruger Mark II - Standard pistol Stainless and the 303 British Enfield rifle is a No4 MK I , 1942 date , from the BSA plant in Birmingham England ... It is in uncommonly nice condition and I never got around to "sporterizing" it like I did several other militay rifles ... For once my Procrastenation paid off ... it's worth a lot more in it's military guise than if I had Bubbarized it with a Herter's sporter stock and Williams commerical sights . Well made , little used , a perfect bore and chamber . I cleaned it well and applied a coat of tung oil to the stock , got a Lee bullet mould and have fun shooting the old war horse as she left the BSA plant in 1942 !
Gary

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ruger Mark I - Target pistol blue , Ruger Mark II - Standard pistol Stainless and the 303 British Enfield rifle is a No4 MK I , 1942 date , from the BSA plant in Birmingham England ... It is in uncommonly nice condition and I never got around to "sporterizing" it like I did several other militay rifles ... For once my Procrastenation paid off ... it's worth a lot more in it's military guise than if I had Bubbarized it with a Herter's sporter stock and Williams commerical sights . Well made , little used , a perfect bore and chamber . I cleaned it well and applied a coat of tung oil to the stock , got a Lee bullet mould and have fun shooting the old war horse as she left the BSA plant in 1942 !
Gary
Thanks for sharing these nice weapons. I have an early Ruger Mark II and I recently got rid of my all original Enfield MK 5 jungle carbine that kicked like a mule (the "rubber" buttstock piece had turned to concrete)...sure looked nice though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Never sell reloading dies ... they don't eat any hay and no sooner do you sell them than you want them back and they never get cheaper ... they all ways cost more ...sometimes a LOT more .
Reloading Rule #1 : Don't sell paid for dies !
Gary
Check out this site Shooterscorner.com and look for the "list" tons of bench rest guns as well as non bench rest.
As well an pages of gun parts and reloading equipment. Most dies are in the $20-30 range shipping about 8.50 for one set.
I have known Bob for over 25 years he does nice gunsmith work and is a big bench rest shooter.
PS the one in Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts