Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in doing some very thorough house cleaning and closet-going-through, i finally located my favorite knife. bought it years ago at an estate sale. 4" blade full tang blade, antler handle, nice (and nicely 'seasoned') leather sheath with a belt loop. can't find any maker's marks anywhere so i suspect it may be a homemade job, but i love it regardless. almost like an unexpected christmas present. i'll post some pics when i can find the dang cable for the camera that hooks up to the computer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lucky you I was about 21 when I lost my all-time favorite knife on a Hunt. It was a Case XX double razor edge hunting knife been in morning for manny years now

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's really nice to find something you had thought you'd lost.
oh, oh, oh, you want a 'find something you thought you'd lost story"? i've got an all-time biggy on that one.

so when i turned 21 my father (no, he didn't take me out for my first beer-- my first beer had already been many years before and by that time he and i had already been going to happy hour together with some friends of his who included me in their group)--- when i turned 21 my father presented me with a gold pocket watch that was inscribed with his initials "RM' but 'RM' had been the first male child's initials going WAY back in our family for generations. i was actually the first male child not to be named rob't mitchell. so he presents me with the watch, a waltham, which is inscribed from father to son with the date going back to around 1900 (i've actually gotten the watch out now and have it in my hands as i type this), so this watch goes back 5 generations and is handed down to the eldest son, from great-great grandfather, to great grandfather, to grandfather, to father, to me. needless to say, i'm fairly awed by this and take is as a solemn responsibility to take care of it and hand it down (hopefully, when i someday have a son).

skip ahead in time a bit and i'm living in oregon, when my brother in killed in a car accident. after the funeral and everything, i go back to oregon, pack up all my stuff and head back to Montana, ostensibly to help my Mom out for awhile. Time goes on, and i can't find the watch anywhere in any of the boxes that came from oregon, and i had packed up EVERYTHING. i even went so far as to suspect that it may have been stolen while my girlfriend and i were in Montana dealing with my brother's death. i start to freak out, but figure it will turn up at some point.

well, time goes on, i can't ever put my hands on it. i move back to oregon after a year or so and even go so far as to visit some pawn shops in town to see if it was stolen if it might have shown up there. no dice. by this time i'm starting to get heartbroken and ashamed about it-- how could this be passed down from generation to generation and i'm the stupid jackass who somehow loses it??!!?? i live in eugene for a few more years. watch never turns up.

at this point, i've given up hope, but thinking to myself, "i can't possibly tell my father". beyond the shame that i would feel, knowing how disappointed he would be in me would have been too much to bear.

fast forward in time a few years and i've left eugene and am teaching in PA when i get a call from my mom in Montana (i told her the whole story and she agreed i could never tell my father). she says "i've been cleaning out the basement, and i found a box of some stuff that mostly looks like old college stuff of yours, but there's a jewelers box in the bottom of it."

my heart leaps out of my chest and into my throat and i ask "Mom, what color is the jewelers box?" she replies, "it's velvet and it's dark blue and fairly worn." my heart is beyond my throat at this point.

Mom opens the box and says "there's a gold pocket watch, a waltham, with 'RM' inscribed on the inside. at that point i literally started to tremble and i think i even teared up a little, and said "thank you, Mom. you can't possibly imagine how much this soothes my soul. i've been living in shame for over 10 years now thinking i'd lost this watch, and now i can let it go and live the rest of my life knowing that i didn't screw up, and it is still there, and i don't have to think about it in the back of my mind every time i see or talk to my father." she totally understood and put it in a safe place, and now it's been back in my possession for a number of years, safely stored in a spot where someone will have to get past me and my P95 to figure out where it is.

single biggest find of my life, and i owe it all to my Mom for going through her basement .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good story, not quite as good as Butch's watch story from Pulp Fiction, but still good.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, I do like a good story! I'm glad that you got the pocket watch back, my pocket watch storly didn't turn out as good as yours because my ex-daughter-in-law stole it. But my grandson has it now and all is good.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
my pocket watch story ,ended up sad, pops gave the watch to me on his death bed, says as long as u have this watch i will always be with u hunting , fast forward, beautiful watch it was, real gold ,diamond jeweled engraved with three bucks on it, well for many years it was my hunting companion,and was not used for any other purpose, well fergot to take it off my hunting suit, wife had a brain storm , wash the suit it stinks, well watch was non the less junk after a spin wash tumble dry,she knew what heart break this was and set out [unknown to me ]to get it fixed , story she tells no one would touch it, she finally seeks out German watch guy,he tells wife do u know what u have here, she replys nope, he goes on with a story , that still gets me upset, it was priceless, well old cooter fixes it up , she surprises me with it right before a hunt,i have no werds when i see that watch again more brilliant then ever before. this is the first hunt with my son, we do a three day hunt , had great time but no harvest, last day i decide to try a spot we had not used before, no luck, time to go , pack up my stuff and day bag , decide to leave it behind a tree to hike back and get the truck, , on my way back im coming up to the tree. theres a black chevy doing a u turn right at the spot, im going cant be , they take off , i stop my stuffs GONE wasnt 5 min since i left it . well watch was in day bag , didnt wanna make same mistake as before when i left it my hunt suit, well gave chase plate number is 1146 eu , couldnt catch the basturd, plus i had my brand new truck im crashing thru trees with, cost me a bundle to get that fixed,long story short , called state police no help there, did the pawn shop thing fer years , put signs up in the woods hopeing the locals wood pick something up and gimmie a call , i did bump into the truck parked on a 2 track some years later ,and had my nine off saftey and ready to fill that truck with lead,i stopped my self, i miss that watch ,and all the memories it had , i still look for it , been like 15 years ,pops is still there with me on every hunt ,my only hope is that he forgives me , ps speak n spell is broke

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My favorite carry knife use to be a CKRT M16-13 with stainless liners and some sort of black poly scales. I kept loosing it that I would pay my kids $5.00 if they found it. The competition of three kids almost always produced the knife whether the sofa linings or out in my messy work shed. My son and oldest daughter (although they'll deny it now) use to hide my knife just so they could "find it" when the reward was offered. I finally figured out the size differences between the numbers that followed the "M16" and now have two titanium CKRT's; An M16-13T (same as my old one but in titanium) and a M16-14T for real serious work.

After loosing so many knives so many times (pocket with a hole in it) I bought one of these nifty items from UniqueTec. Titanium Pocket Hanger I have not lost a knife, keys, or a pocket since I started using these some 15 years now. Smithy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts