Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my CCW permit for almost 4 years. I have carried sporadically over that time, but never tackled the issues involved with every day carry (especially at work). My wife and I were talking recently and I expressed a concern that as we are getting older, and the world seems to be getting crazier, we should carry more often. She agreed with me.

Biggest issue is being able to both conceal consistently with the clothes I wear to work (dress casual) and shoot comfortably what I was concealing. The only way to address the former was to go with pocket carry. Lots of options there, but then we meet the second factor. I am a big guy (260 lbs) with pretty big hands (9"). I CAN shoot an LCP, but don't like doing so. My wife has a P938 that I do pocket carry at times, but it is her favorite gun, and still a bit small for my preference. I categorized lots of single stack guns by size, weight, and feature for comparison, and did some initial testing to see what I felt I could comfortably carry. As I wear slacks the majority of the time with large pockets, my choices opened up.

Hate to say it on a Ruger forum, but the LC9S just didn't impress me. I ended up with an M&P Shield in 9mm. Shoots very smoothly (almost as smooth as my SR1911 officer); weighs about 22oz empty. I get a solid 2 finger grip with the flush mag and most of a 3 finger group with the 8 rounder. Testing so far, the gun goes bang every time with both mags. Having tested M&P pistols before, I was not looking forward to the long trigger pull I remembered. With the 2.0 version, the trigger pull is now about the same as a P320 with a VERY clean 5.5lb break. The texturing on the grip cannot be overhyped. Best of all, the gun was reasonably priced at $379 AND earned me a rebate from Smith and Wesson of $50. $329 at the end of the day.

I have now been carrying this in a pocket with a retention holster for a week, and it is working out well. The hardest adjustment was moving my keys and change to the left front pocket. Now I just need a good way to lock this in my truck on the occasion that I have to visit job sites.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Great to hear the good news about the Shield. My one (middle aged) son is just now taking shooting lessons and trying out various guns. He really liked the newest version of the Glock 43 but as a brand new shooter feels he should have an external safety.

I highly recommended that he rent a Shield 9mm to see how he does with it. I had previously recommended a Shield .380 EZ because his wife indicated she should learn to shoot also for home defense. I suggested to my son that he might want to buy both. (They have the funds to do that).

He did try hubby and my first suggestion of a shotgun. That did NOT work at all, in any way, and he firmly stated that his wife wouldn't even try to shoot the thing due to it being so heavy. And you DO need to learn to aim a shotgun. So pistol it will be.

I wish he lived closer so I could give him more help, but email is the best we can do.

P.S. Like you and many others, I first began carrying "some times." For the past several/many years I have carried all the time, and feel naked without a gun on my body on the very rare occasions when I can't wear one (hospitals, etc.)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Congratulations on deciding and carrying full time. Also bonus that you are able to carry at work. I am able to as well but I carry IWB at about 5 o'clock. Whatever works for us, eh? I am fortunate enough that I have my own office with a locking door and locking desk drawers. That said, if for some reason I have to take my gun off body, I have a snapsafe box in a desk drawer. I actually drilled a hole in the back of the desk drawer so that I could thread the cable through. If I leave it in my truck, I just throw it in the console and consider it locked. I have had the same snapsafe in my truck at one point and had the cable around my seat frame. There is also an option to put a lock on your console. But once you start carrying full time, you will feel weird without it.

https://www.amazon.com/SnapSafe-75211-Portable-Measures-Approved/dp/B00TSQP8ZE/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3EP4MHDMRR136&dchild=1&keywords=gun+lock+box&psc=1&qid=1572027875&sprefix=gun+lock+,aps,148&sr=8-11

https://www.consolevault.com/Lock-Types.html

·
Super Moderator
21,269 Posts
If you lose interest in the S&W check out the Sig P365. I'm a fan of the P938 as well. Since the P365 came out and it holds either 10+1 or 12+1 depending on the mag it has become extremely popular among CCL holders and pocket carries almost as easily as the 938.

·
Registered
916 Posts
We don't have conceal carry in New Jersey. We have it but out of grasp for most citizens.If we had it I would consider full time carry. Our politicians want to protect the criminals from the law abiding citizens.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
The hardest adjustment was moving my keys and change to the left front pocket.
You bet. I remember that transition too. Became more natural after a couple of weeks.

Great you have decided to go full-time. I can't carry at work but carry at all times other than that, majority of the time in pocket.

Also agree with bwinters: "Shoot what you are most comfortable with"

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
Since retirement last January I carry most of the time also. Congrats on changing your daily routine. It is not easy but will become second nature in time. Depending on season, occasion and location there are about 8 different pistols I use to carry............fun thing is training with them!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you lose interest in the S&W check out the Sig P365. I'm a fan of the P938 as well. Since the P365 came out and it holds either 10+1 or 12+1 depending on the mag it has become extremely popular among CCL holders and pocket carries almost as easily as the 938.
I did look at the P365. It was quite tempting with the extra 3 rounds and actually a bit shorter. The deciding factor for me was the fit of the gun in my hand along with the option to use the external safety.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shoot what you are most comfortablewith. We ruger owners will understand.
That's good, because the other guns I carry at times are mostly Rugers! I have occasionally carried my wife's Range officer compact and P938, but mostly it has been a Ruger American Compact and an SR1911 officer. When it is really cold (heavy coat), I have been known to carry my full size SR1911, but mainly when hiking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts