Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my recently purchased S&W 686 to the range to try to sight in, and a fellow who I had met previously showed up and said he also brought a few revolvers along to shoot and said he had some 2000 cast bullets to use up, and offered me a batch. Very kind of him, and I donated my empty brass for the next time we go out there. Anyways, he pulled out a no dash 686 and a couple of other smiths. Then, to my amazement - a royal blue 8" Colt Python.

My jaw dropped for a moment. I took a closer look and saw the gun wasn't a safe queen as it still had some burned powder around the cylinder.

"Have at it" he says.

I couldn't believe it. Everyone I know who owns a Python or other Colt snake gun never fires them.

I was using paper plates for targets and couldn't believe how accurate it was. (my 686 has a 3" barrel, so it was definately different).

He said it was made in the '80s, and he couldn't recall exactly when he bought it, but just having the chance to shoot your dream or wish list gun is a great feeling.

Here it is. I cannot wait to have another go with it. (My 686 wasn't bad either :D)

Here's the guns together. Made for a great afternoon of shooting!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Cool story! Sounds like fun. Your 686 is a real looker - nicer looking in some ways than the Colt. (Now if the Python was a 4" nickel....)

I think the Colt snake guns are really beautiful but I've never shot one or seen one being shot when at the range. Your lucky day!

Wave

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have lusted after a Colt Python for a long time. It would be a 6" for me, either blue or nickel, I'm not that picky. I've never shot one, but I hope to some day!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Never pass on an opportunity to have fun! Congrat's!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had never fired a revolver with a barrel longer than 6" so it was a bit odd. Any Python would work for me with a 4" barrel.

If you've never handled one, there is next to no strength needed to cock the hammer for a single action shot. It's incredible.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,385 Posts
My Colt Anaconda .44 magnum and Trooper Mark III .357 magnum definitely get range time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the Anaconda. I never see those out anymore. I see a few King Cobras which are nice. In fact, a newer shop in town had a King Cobra for $475. By the time I got there it was way too late..lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts