Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics Added!

I don't have a pic yet, the gun is at my parent's house and it's broken down for cleaning........I'm going to try to clean it up this afternoon and reassemble it, and take a good pic!

Otherwise, it's a standard 4" adjustable sight stainless .357, made in 1989 and still has the semi-permanent grip locator, along with the original two-piece Lett grips. I love it, when I think of a GP100, this is the gun I think of, I always loved the 4" adjustable stainless GP's, with the Lett grips.......this makes my 2nd GP in this configuration, but my other one is a 2003 production and I heavily modified it.

It was probably an ex-police or security gun, there is heavy holster buffing on the sides of the barrel, so much so that the "Ruger GP100" stamp has been lightened from wear. The grips look good but have normal dings, more so on the right side like the gun was holster carried a lot. It seems to have few rounds through it and it's tight as new. I ran 12 MagTech .357's through it in my backyard range yesterday, and it shot great:)

This one is staying stock, the only thing I did was add a Millett front sight since this would have been a "period correct" sight for the 80's and 90's:D. It still has the gold colored springs in it, which I believe were stock for the 1980's - early 90's GP100's since most of the early 1990's GP's I bought had these in them. The action is heavy but super smooth in DA, so I may just just try the Bullseye spring kit I have on the way but if the action is too light or "mushy" I'm going back to the stock springs. The best part about GP100 springs, is that it takes a minute to change them out, and change them back if you don't like the results..........the Six trigger springs are not so easy:eek:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
when I think of a GP100, this is the gun I think of, I always loved the 4" adjustable stainless GP's, with the Lett grips
My sentiments exactly. I've been looking and waiting. I keep seeing the 6", but not the 4". I've turned them down waiting for a used stainless 4".

Congrats on a nice weapon. I'll be waiting for some pics.:)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's the pics of my new addition to the "family" :)

It's a 171 prefix 1989 production, with just enough wear to be "cool" without looking beat up. It's seen some holster time but not many rounds, I'm guessing it was a PD trade in or a private purchase gun by a LEO that didn't like to shoot alot. The action is typical Ruger:)....... long, heavy DA pull , with a "flat spot" just before the trigger breaks and the hammer falls, but it's smooth and very shootable. I was going to put those Bullseye springs in, but I'll put them away for a future GP purchase. This is the perfect example of a GP100 "working gun" and it wouldn't feel right to have target springs in an ex-duty gun.:)

All I did was clean it up after test firing it, and added this Millett front sight.......these are apparently made of gold these days because if you do turn one up they're like $30-40+:eek: I was lucky that I got this one on a used GP100 I bought a couple years ago. You can almost see where the GP100 stamping is worn or was light stamped.

Here it is with my other 171 prefix GP100's, a Canadian police trade in, which is an early 1990 production, along with another early '90 production blue .357 GP which I traded a guy the spurred hammer from, so I could get the spurless hammer he didn't want:) I added Large Letts to this one, and kept the stock springs in it and it's a great shooter. I don't miss the SA mode on either of these and I shoot most of my DA revolvers primarily in DA anyway.

A close up of the 2 '90 GP's:)

I used to be a fan of the 6" blue Rugers, like my several 6" blue GP100's and my Security Six but guns like this are fast making me a convert to the 4" stainless guns! I'm also a fixed sight revolver fanatic so it's rare that an adjustable sight gun gets me excited.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nice collection. I'm really wanting a Ruger 357 magnum revolver. That GP100 is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nice addition to the family. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous.;)

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Here's the pics of my new addition to the "family" :)
It's a 171 prefix 1989 production, with just enough wear to be "cool" without looking beat up.
Very nice mate.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love those Canadian .357 GP's:) The inserts in your grips are nice, and the gun looks great with the spurred hammer.

Salmoneye, did we by any chance happen to trade hammers? I know I traded 3 members here for spurless DAO hammers that came out of Canadian trade-in GP100's, and I sent them spurred DA/SA hammers:) I love spurless GP hammers and the hammer in the blue 4" .357 in my pic may be the one from our trade, if so:D I'm always looking for spurless GP hammers=)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.