Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I am here to report on two products and one technique. These three changes have helped me dramatically along with dry firing exercises. Unfortunately my camera is MIA so pics are not available.

First product: Hogue Grips, don't need to say much about these.

Second Product: Bright Sights with Ghost Glow, Nice affordable way to customize your sights. Basically a brightly colored rubber cement; You paint the product directly over your white dots. I opted for the bright green and matching ghost glow. The Ghost Glow will glow in the dark for a few minutes if you charge them in bright light for a few minutes. The ghost glow definitely cant replace night sights but could be useful when going from a well lit environment to a brief low light situation (basement, etc).
The bright green sights in daylight dramatically cut the time it takes for me to get sight alignment. I find my eyes pick up the green much faster than the stock white dots
I would recommend this product. Its an inexpensive, fast, effective and reversible way to customize your stock sights, just about anyone can do.

My biggest improvement comes from practicing a proper grip technique. Before I was varying my grip, I had no idea how to properly hold a handgun. So I did something novel, and read lots and lots on grip techniques. I found the straight thumbs feels very natural/comfortable to me. I practiced this technique at home while dry firing.
When I finally got to the range I was using this grip almost unconsciously, just checking occasionally to ensure that I wasnt varying the grip at all.

Happy Shooting

Edited to add:
Before these three changes I was only consistent with hitting low and left on the target and sometimes missing the target from about 15-20 yards or so. Now at the same distance I am hitting center of the target and my follow up shots are faster.
I still need a lot of practice but this is only my 4th time to the range. I think Im doing OK and hopefully some good classes are in my near future.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I use the "straight thumbs" for my semi-auto grip... I think it is the most stable and increases ability of quick placement...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Teach me-I've always cupped my weak hand under my strong one---I'm verbal-no need for pics---thanks...oh, just noticed-my thumbs do lie together pointed straight ahead--

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RMAN that is the article I printed up and reference when I am practicing my grip.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cmp944

RMAN that is the article I printed up and reference when I am practicing my grip.
Takes some getting used to doesn't it? I got in the habit of wrapping my weak hand index finger around the front of the trigger guard and I have to fight myself to break the habit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It honestly does, Right after I think I have the grip perfected and I start focusing on my sights, my thumbs start doing there own thing.

I just need to slow down and be repetitive.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks, Rman-I am also printing and will study it-I shoot a lot one-handed-that's how I learned-but don't need a light much now so back to school!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I am like Sheepdog as I shot stubnoses one handed for years. I used more of a point shoot type style. Now I have been using the thumbs forward deal and I am starting to do fair with it. I found if I push a little with the right hand and pull a little with the left I am fairly accurate. Why don't ask me I don't know.
Good article Rman I am going to read it through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts