Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to see hope for my custom Ruger 1V in 222 Rem. I have not been talking about the gun until now on the basis of, "if you can't say something nice, say nothing." The truth is, I have been very discouraged regarding this rifle. I have about $2K invested in it and expected 1/2 MOA accuracy for that kind of cash. I have actually been getting better results with my also new (all factory original) M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger and cheap Fiocchi ammunition. With any load I developed, for the 1V I was getting just 1" or so at 100 yards. As a result, I have not bothered shooting at 200 yards.

Today I finally figured out the rifle is very sensitive to cheek pressure on the stock. After a day of experimenting with different styles of grip, I tried a very light cheek. As a result, with a medium firm grip against my shoulder and with my cheek barely touching, my last five shot 100 yard group measures 0.377". Not only that, three of those five bullets formed a single hole slightly larger than the diameter of a single bullet.

Now that I have solved the question of how to grip the rifle, it is time for more careful load testing to see just what it is that I have. Now, I just may also post a picture or two to show off my 1V.

·
Registered
190 Posts
...Now that I have solved the question of how to grip the rifle, it is time for more careful load testing to see just what it is that I have. Now, I just may also post a picture or two to show off my 1V.
Pictures would be nice. :) Love the 222 Rems, and my favorite handloads use IMR 4198 18.5 gr weighed or H322 19.5 gr thrown below Sierra 53 gr MatchKings with 7-1/2 primers. I know other powders work well, too. Be sure to share your best choice when you get it.

As for making adjustments, I'm wondering if your trigger is firmer than what you expected or are used to. Heavy triggers are a problem for me; I tend to pull the shots in rifles that have them. Most of the #1s I've shot have pretty heavy triggers, too.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sounds as though you are basically having to shoot the rifle in a nearly "free recoil" situation to get decent groups. That would indicate your bench setup is wrong, or the rifle simply doesn't FIT you.........as far as length of pull, stock shape, trigger, scope height, or something

The 222s that I have shoot nearly anything VERY well, including factory ammo. Seems hard to even come up with a BAD load........just some that don't shoot as well as others. Its just an inherently accurate round

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Details, a Story and Pictures

Pardon me if you have read most of this before in previous posts of mine.

As some of you know, this is not my first Ruger No. 1. That was a 1V in 220 Swift. With only one modification, that being a piece of rubber used to float the forearm (more or less) and load development, I managed to get that rifle to consistently shoot 1" at 200 yards and under 1/2" at 100 yards. That was shooting off a bipod and a rear bag.

When I bought my second No. 1 about a year ago, I bought a 1A in 222 Rem. I had really wanted a 1V in 222 Rem. but Ruger never built that configuration other than a prototype. What I hoped for with the 1A was similar results to my 1V. As 222 Rem is far more inherently accurate than 220 Swift out to 200 yards, I hoped the accuracy of 222 Rem, would balance out the light weight and skinny barrel of the 1A vs. a 1V. The only mod I made right away was to replace the stiff OEM trigger with a Jard 1.75 lb. trigger.

I shot it as a 1A for one summer, never achieving results that pleased me, so I sent it to Regan Nonneman to have him convert it into a 1V. Regan replaced the barrel with a Shilen varmint barrel and gave it a tight necked match chamber. He also swapped my 1A stock, with its Alex Henry forearm for a 1V stock.

Now comes the (not) fun part. I had wanted the chamber to match the chamber of my BAT action 222 bench gun. This would make my brass interchangeable between the two rifles and simplify setup for loading. Russ Haydon had built my BAT gun shortly before retiring and he was unable to come up with paperwork giving the reamer he had used. To give those dimensions to Regan, I sent him a dummy round (no primer or powder) that was made to fit the BAT gun. I also sent a chamber sizing piece Russ had made for me that exactly matched the chamber in my BAT gun.

A couple of weeks later, my shipping box came back with a note from USPS saying the box had broken and the contents were lost. Now my big mistake. Rather than send another dummy round with fire formed brass, I told Regan to go ahead and give the rifle his usual match chamber and tight neck.

I will skip a bunch of this really long and detailed story and say I now have a custom Ruger 1V in 222 Rem. with a Shilen barrel that has a match chamber that Russ has reamed out to match my BAT gun and the Jard 1.75 lb. trigger. As I had hoped, fire formed brass is interchangeable between the two rifles and length to the lands is identical.

The only mod I will still try is the rubber barrel floater and more load development. I have tried a variety of loads with H-322 and Winchester 748, using Lapua brass and Remington 7 1/2 primers. So far my best results have been with the exact same load that works best in my BAT gun. that is Berger 52 grain FB Target bullets tight against the lands with 22.2 gr. of H-322.

Here are the pictures requested:

First my 1V in 222 Rem. as it now is (The scope is a Weaver XR T-36):

Here is the 1V with a better picture of the Shilen barrel:

Here is the same rifle with the original barrel and stock:

Here is my first 1V, the one in 220 Swift ( The scope is a Leupold Vari X IIc 6-18X40):

Here is the BAT gun whose chamber is the model for the one in my new 1V:

PS: the RCBS press visible in the first picture is only for full length sizing. These days, I use an arbor press and Wilson hand dies when neck sizing brass and loading bullets.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I am not you Slow........but there is no way I could accurately shoot either of the Number 1s in your pics. The scopes are WAY far forward for me and I don't shoot well when I have to "crawl" the stock. I have to run "old school" long tube scopes such as older Weaver T series on my No1Bs to be anything close to comfortable. Even setback rings won't get a newer scope back far enough for me. The rear scope block is just in the wrong place. All my 1Vs have Unertl or 2400 Redfields to get the scope back.

LOP is LOP, regardless of rifle design. Now look at where the rear of scope is in relation to trigger on the No1s as compared to the BAT rifle. The fact that you said, VERY light cheek pressure, which I take as basically "hovering" over the stock, was the only way it grouped, should tell you the fit is not quite right.

One other thing..........and this might seem REALLY nit picky.........but you continually refer to this new rifle as a 1V Ruger. I personally could care less what you want to call it, but I know some of the serious No1 guys cringe every time you do so, because that is not what it is. It's just simply a rebarreled Ruger action, in a non factory config, with a non factory barrel contour. Simply........it's a Ruger No1 custom.

What contour is that barrel by the way. I like the way it looks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am not you Slow........but there is no way I could accurately shoot either of the Number 1s in your pics. The scopes are WAY far forward for me and I don't shoot well when I have to "crawl" the stock. I have to run "old school" long tube scopes such as older Weaver T series on my No1Bs to be anything close to comfortable. Even setback rings won't get a newer scope back far enough for me. The rear scope block is just in the wrong place. All my 1Vs have Unertl or 2400 Redfields to get the scope back.

LOP is LOP, regardless of rifle design. Now look at where the rear of scope is in relation to trigger on the No1s as compared to the BAT rifle. The fact that you said, VERY light cheek pressure, which I take as basically "hovering" over the stock, was the only way it grouped, should tell you the fit is not quite right.

One other thing..........and this might seem REALLY nit picky.........but you continually refer to this new rifle as a 1V Ruger. I personally could care less what you want to call it, but I know some of the serious No1 guys cringe every time you do so, because that is not what it is. It's just simply a rebarreled Ruger action, in a non factory config, with a non factory barrel contour. Simply........it's a Ruger No1 custom.

What contour is that barrel by the way. I like the way it looks
I appreciate all of the information and suggestions. A set of rings allowing a set back of eye relief is worth trying. I put in a call to Regan Nooneman, asking about the contour of the barrel. I will report that when he calls back.

I agree the rifle is not really a 1V. When I first ordered the customization, I assumed the barrel would be a Ruger varmint barrel, to go along with the Ruger varmint stock. When Mr. Nooneman suggested a Shilen Barrel, I had no idea the barrel would be that short but then, when my BAT gun was done the barrel was a lot shorter than I had pictured in my mind. In deference to the purists, I will stop calling it a 1V, though I am not sure what I will call it. The stock is from a 1V and the Ruger scope blocks are on the barrel, like on a 1V. The only thing that is not what you would find on a 1V is the barrel. When other shooters have re-barreled a 1V, they still call it a 1V, so I assumed I could do the same.

LOP and eye relief is certainly a personal choice. If I shoulder the Ruger and look through the scope, it lines up perfectly for me.* The deep recoil pads on the BAT rifle have been removed since that picture and the rifle is set up for free recoil/pinch trigger with its 2 oz. trigger. The scope is set further back so that I can sight in without touching the rifle and fire while standing next to it, watching the wind flags. With that method, I am getting sub 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards. If I actually touch the rifle with my shoulder or cheek, I lose accuracy.

Having backed away from formal competition, I am considering selling the BAT and the expensive SEB rest I bought specifically for it. Besides, I like to feel a rifle against my shoulder. I am moving more toward shooting for fun with friends. That is why I bought the Cadwell Deadshot Fieldpod. With a small folding three legged stool it allows me to set up anywhere and shoot my heavy varmint rifles sitting comfortably. Russ Haydon has been taking Kimberly and me out to the Olympic National Forest and showing us places to safely shoot longer ranges at either targets of opportunity or targets we bring with us. I find that a lot more fun than shooting at a club. He has also offered to take me along on one of his varmint shoots in Eastern Washington. That is where I will finally get to use my rifles for their intended use.

*Keep in mind, I have only one properly functioning arm and hand. I cannot actually off hand a rifle. I can shoulder one for 30 seconds or so but cannot hold it stable enough to shoot with any accuracy. What I really need to do next is to shoot the Ruger No. 1(X) with the field pod and then make any adjustments, for increased accuracy. With the field pod is how I will shoot that rifle in the real world anyhow.

During one of our Olympic Mountains trips with the field pod, I found I could hit a 3" circle repeatedly with the M77 Hawkeye (204 Ruger) at an unknown range that my scope AO suggested was about 325 yards. Since then, at my home range I found 1 1/4" at 200 yards is about normal for that rifle, shooting with a BR setup. I am amazed at such accuracy with a relatively inexpensive rifle that does not have a great reputation and commercially loaded ammunition. I will be posting a picture of that rifle today in the 'Bolt Action Rifle' sub-forum.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You get ready to move the SEB.......you let me know
Thanks, but I doubt it will leave my small circle of BR fans. As you probably know, there is a one year waiting list for a SEB rest. I am sure I can sell it, while pretty much breaking even, in a local FTF sale.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All Better Now!

I will now quite whining and complaining. At the range on Wednesday, I did more load testing. 22.5 grains of IMR 4895 with a 55 grain Berger target/varmint bullet gave me a series of 5-shot, 100 yard groups that averaged 0.475". All I was asking for was 1/2 MOA.

The only change I will be making now is to replace the Ruger bases with Weaver bases. That will allow me a greater selection of rings. As one shooter pointed out, I have been leaning forward on the No. 1 to achieve proper eye relief. I needed to compare it side by side to my CZ and my M77 to realize just how extreme is the forward lean with the No. 1.

I do still have several different bullets and powders to try. I am now very hopeful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts