Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I actually bought the thing back in November but with the move and getting somewhat settled in and changing addresses on everything AND marylands 7 day wait period(so as to afford anyone buying a gun for malicious intent a period to rethink their criminal motives) I just went and picked it up from the LGS, and man is it a beauty.
I stated in another post that it was born in '87,I was mistaken, its from '84
Is this one of the years for barrel seperation issues? Hope not. Regardless, it sure is a looker. Really nice condition. Wow, it feels like I have 2 m29 in my hand. The thing is a tank.
I will say that the trigger pulls feel real good, heavy, but nice and smooth. Is this par for the course with Redhawks? By the by this one is in 44mag.
Trigger Wood Fixture Gun barrel Door
Wood Hand tool Tool Revolver Hardwood
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
OP, I have one of the last Redhawks made before they switched to the shrouded design, so it's basically a newer version of yours. The trigger is, indeed, a little on the heavy side (compared to my GP100), but like you said, it's smooth. You just have to make sure that as the trigger stacks before breaking, hold up there, and then press through. The cylinder is pretty heavy, and quick rotation actually can create enough torque to twitch the revolver into a tilt to the left if you pull the trigger too fast.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Very nice!

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,675 Posts
Your new Redhawk is lovely. I love mine. I very rarely shoot it double action because I usually shoot from 25 to 50yds and strive for accuracy. The single action trigger is fine. Congratulations on bringing it home.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt detect alot of stacking in the DA pull but its there. I can already stage it and boy, its nothing like a Smith. Good bit of overtravel too.
This definitely isn't one Ill be shooting DA alot, probably just sitting at the bench too, we'll see. I bought a redhawk specifically to shoot the heavier loads I like, still looking for a Blackhawk though.
I too noticed that new ones are out of stock just about anywhere you look but I knew I was going the used route so...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats, that is a beaut! I love my newer model Redhawk in .357 with the 8 round cylinder.

As a MD resident, I can empathize on all of the obstacles that need to be navigated to be able to simply purchase a handgun in the state (HQL, 7 day wait, limit of one "regulated firearm" purchase every 30 days, etc.). "The Free State" is a very ironic nickname when it comes to the 2A.

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
So during the 7 days did you rethink your desire to murder 6 people? Great looking Redhawk, congrats. Do you plan to hunt with it or range gun?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I didnt detect alot of stacking in the DA pull but its there. I can already stage it and boy, its nothing like a Smith. Good bit of overtravel too.
This definitely isn't one Ill be shooting DA alot, probably just sitting at the bench too, we'll see. I bought a redhawk specifically to shoot the heavier loads I like, still looking for a Blackhawk though.
I too noticed that new ones are out of stock just about anywhere you look but I knew I was going the used route so...
If you stage the trigger momentarily, the revolver is amazingly good for controlled pairs at 25yds. When I get warmed up, I can put a pair of shots onto a 10" plate in less than a second. The key is to begin staging the trigger as you recover from the recoil after the first shot. When you're back on target, you just complete the press.

I have just shy of 1000 magnum rounds through my own Redhawk, and I've only pulled the hammer back a handful of times. If you practice shooting DA, you'll find yourself getting more comfortable with the trigger pull weight.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always stage any trigger (talking mostly semi autos) immediately after firing. Thats how The Great One (Rob Latham) teaches rapid, accurate firing. Ive just not done it much with my revolvers, especially the ones with the big, heavy cylinders.

I vant wait to get this thing to the range. Supposed to get a pretty potent snow storm Friday/Saturday but I dont think Ill care and hit the range anyway.👍👍

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I always stage any trigger (talking mostly semi autos) immediately after firing. Thats how The Great One (Rob Latham) teaches rapid, accurate firing. Ive just not done it much with my revolvers, especially the ones with the big, heavy cylinders.

I vant wait to get this thing to the range. Supposed to get a pretty potent snow storm Friday/Saturday but I dont think Ill care and hit the range anyway.👍👍
The really noticeable characteristic of the Redhawk's big cylinder is that you can feel the torque when the cylinder stops its rotation when you bring the trigger back quickly for follow-up shots. It happens right when you stage it before the break. Once you get accustomed to it, you'll run it a lot faster.

You'll get a kick out of what those plates do when they take multiple hits from .44 Magnum rounds in somewhat rapid succession.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts