Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Raminatus Maximus
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 months of waiting, waiting, and patiently waiting, the A4 upper half with 16" chrome-lined barrel finally came in.

Bonus, it came with a folding front sight that somehow got added to the order. I don't know how it got there, but I'm not cryin' about it. :D

The two halves meet for the first time. It actually went together completely painlessly and considering these two pieces were made at completely different times, I'm pleasantly surprised there is no rattle between the two pieces.

Dinner?

Additionally, it somehow came with a Midwest Industries BUIS. Not sure how this made it on the order either, but again, not complainin'; now I don't need to buy another rear sight.

Overall, I'm 100% satisified with how this gun turned out. I bought the two halves at different times, received them 8 months apart and the whole thing just dropped right into itself. I love it when a plan comes together!

Now I just have to take it out and shoot it. :cool:

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Very nice! What's the length on that barrel? In one pic it looks much longer than in another.
That folding front sight is very nice. That's one thing I wish I had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RRA's are awesome. I have 2, an 18" varmint model and 16" CAR A4. Both are outstanding shooters. Now you just need some Magpul P-Mags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I second what JeepXJ said. I have a CAR A4 model, 1" barrel - shoots great and never fails to feed. Only thing I have done to mine was I got the Spike's Tactical .22lr conversion kit to shoot cheaply with it. Only problem is you need to shoot live 5.56 ammo through it a few times because the .22lr ammo in it is dirty as all get out, and it will unblock the gas tube.

·
Raminatus Maximus
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PMAGS! :cool:

All loaded up for my AR's maiden voyage to the gravel pit. :D

I have a bucket of these as well as a bunch of C-Products mags with magpul anti-tilt followers.

The barrel is 16" long with a Smith Vortex flash hider. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a bunch of P-mags myself, as well as some C-products with Magpul followers. I've never had a malfunction with either of my RRA's. Just wish I could shoot well enough to wring out their full potential.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
PMags

·
Raminatus Maximus
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was able to get out and get a couple hundred rounds out of this gun today. The weather cooperated somewhat. I actually found snow in them thar hills today, which was a welcomed sight considering the Pineapple Express has pummelled the NW with nothing but sun and rain.

Here's my cheesy poser pic. I needed something to post on Facebook, LOL!

And here's something I've never done before; I actually got a video of the first shot ever fired from a new gun.

210 rounds later, it didn't experience but one hiccup. The extractor tore the case rim off a shell and it didn't eject. I knew something was up when the gun went to ram the next catridge home. Fortunately, I had a cleaning rod and a very light tap from the muzzle end popped it out. I think it was a bad case. It was HSM ammo, and I think they are reloaded. But every one of those 50 particular cartridges were weird. All the bullets were dimpled in some weird way and all the cases had wear on the rims. Too bad I didn't notice than until I opened the box last night. Glad I blew those rounds out today instead of when I may actually need them.

The other 150 rounds were a combination of Remington and PMC. Both those brands handled well. I think I'll stick to them.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, That is one good looking AR, I have a Bushmaster M4 heavy barrel, It has never let me down. You might want to get a broken case extractor from Brownell's or someone else. Broken cases always happen when you least expect it. And a cleaning rod sometimes does not work. again thanks for the pictures.

·
Raminatus Maximus
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.

78CJ5, I was thinking the same thing when I yanked the BCG out of the upper to inspect it. Need to order one of those bad boys as well as a few other specialized tools for my AR. BTW, do you have pictures of your Jeep? With a name like 78CJ5, you gotta be driving something cool. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beware of RRA

I bought a new rock river arms elite operator 2 and I've had nothing but extraction problems. I'm using factory new Pmc 55g. I sent it back to the factory where the reamed and polished the chamber. It's still not extracting. Funny thing is it happens about every 50 rounds. They are giving me every excuse in the book. I'm going to call them back today and let them know it jammed with Remington ammo.

·
Raminatus Maximus
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a new rock river arms elite operator 2 and I've had nothing but extraction problems. I'm using factory new Pmc 55g. I sent it back to the factory where the reamed and polished the chamber. It's still not extracting. Funny thing is it happens about every 50 rounds. They are giving me every excuse in the book. I'm going to call them back today and let them know it jammed with Remington ammo.
Haven't had your problems. Over 1000 rounds. no complaints. RRA puts out thousands of these rifles, and I've only read a few complaints about them online. Normally, the few complaints are read by those who don't even have one and they continue to grind the rumor mill. Not saying you don't have one (obviously you do) and I'm not saying you haven't had problems (seems you may have). But I'm not going to knock a brand based on a few complaints read online. I and my friends own them and shoot them and we are happy with them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts