Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I get to see what all the hubub is about.

Seriously though, I did finally catch some in stock at Midway of all places but there was a 2lbs limit. I say "was" because naturally its out of stock now. So I bought 2 pounds of it and a pound of h110 to feed my mag addiction.

I bought it expressly for my 44Spl. I know you can load just about everything with it but where does it really excell? Like you would use Unique and nothing else. What caliber would that be?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Unique is good stuff I have about 3 pounds on hand. The newest bought ten years ago.
But these days there is nothing I could honestly say that Unique is the only powder for the job. And in fact as a “utility” powder CFE Pistol is now in that spot for me.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I like Unique. It is a versatile powder that's been around since 1898 or so. Obviously it is still well liked as an all around powder. I currently use it for my .44 Special and .44 Magnum loads and have enough to last a few life times, so I'll continue to use it :) . I used to use it for my .357 and .45 Colt as well, but have other favorite powders there. Only thing I found with it is it doesn't meter really well. Not a big deal though for my use. In the larger calibers you never notice it. Enjoy the 'traditional' powder. With Unique and 2400, you have all bases covered if one wishes.

Reactions: GTO and Sr40ken

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unique is good stuff I have about 3 pounds on hand. The newest bought ten years ago.
But these days there is nothing I could honestly say that Unique is the only powder for the job. And in fact as a “utility” powder CFE Pistol is now in that spot for me.
This sort of segways into another question I had but having posted up two powder questions in a row within a few minutes of each other, I didnt want to post another, BUT, you say you have 10year old Unique? I read in some of the manuals about safe powder handling and storage(yes, I read those) they say to NOT stockpile powder but only have on hand what is in immediate need. Well bologna I say, how can a person not stockpile in times such as these? My oldest powders are only about 6 or 7 years old, stored in conditioned air and kept cool and not exposed to any direct sunlight in their original containers.
I stockpile powder. I understand about the fire and/or explosion hazard but they shouldnt go bad or anything if stored under as optimal as I can make the conditions should they?

No harm in this is there?

·
Registered
836 Posts
OP, congrats on the finds.
I also accumulate powder when I can find it at below current prices.

I picked up a pound of H110 (factory sealed) for $18, and some 296 for similar.
Doing the math, H110 max load in my 1873 44 mag carbine is less than 80% of SAAMI max pressure, but with outstanding velocity.
H110 / 296 are about the only powders I have seen that will do this.
The 1873 has a toggle link action, which is not as robust as the Marlins.

Unless the powder is kept in a hostile environment, it will last for years.
It either smells bad, or it doesn't.
Mine is kept cool, dry and in the dark.

My neighbor has a keg of Unique that is decades old... it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I found practicing technique in my Uniflo with Unique I can be as consistent as any other. Sharp and consistent sweep of the handle and it meters well.
I recently loaded the 10 year old Unique in 44 magnum behind some 185 gr SNS and they ran real well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shelf Shelving Bottle Retail Gas
Shelf Bottle Shelving Bottle cap Retail

This is about what I figured, about powders keeping for a long time if a little common sense is used. I currently have over 100lbs of powders, and I use them all. I certainly don't have to worry about stockpiling bullets. Those go too fast so Im looking to start casting soon. Primers? Im almost as bad with them as powders, though Im sure I have way less than many of you. I have enough to keep myself happy for a good while though.

Some rifle powders I can go without because Ive found better for my needs plus I currently only load two calibers but am looking to possibly add another and fortunately it uses powders I already have.

So back to Unique, Im looking forward to trying this historic and fabled powder.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's a good all 'round powder, but for me, not worth dealing with the poor feeding aspect. I still have half a pound that was gifted to me 4 years ago sitting on a shelf. Perhaps I could put it to good use in this way:

I used to load 380 acp and currently load 38 special with unique. Both are pretty small charges. It meters just fine in my 40 year old RCBS uniflow powder measure.

Many of us have powder that is easily 5-10 or more years old. It works just like new. No way would I ever throw away powder or primers even if it was over 20 years old.
5-10 years? Most of my Unique is more in the 25 year old range.. The one old can is marked 6.95. No idea how old it is, but pretty old. It worked just fine earlier this summer.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm a one trick pony or brandon might think I'm a lying dog faced pony soldier, whatever than means. When I started reloading 40 yrs ago Unique and 2400 was all I had and all I used for handgun loads. If it was good enough for Elmer it must be good enough for me. Then I branched out with my Lee Load-all and found out I could load shotshells with my Unique powder. Saw different powders at gun shows and gun shops but wasn't interested. Went along fat dumb and happy for years.

The Hilderbeast shortage was a wake up call as well as a scare. Powder supplies dried up. What powders I found were strangers to me. Bought different types to try out. I think SR4756 was one and worked great and I really liked it then found out shortly thereafter that they were discontinuing it. My powder guy had some #9 and recommended it along with Titegroup. I tried those and they seemed to work well for me.

Unique and 2400 were impossible to find. When I finally found some I would buy a few pounds even at the elevated prices. Meanwhile since I still had to load and shoot Titegroup was my new goto powder for target loads. It didn't have the broad power range that seems to make Unique a unique powder. With Unique I would routinely pack more in then you would ever find in any reloading manual but my days of trying to blow up my guns are over. Titegroup was working well for me so my Unique stock became backup.

Since I still have some Unique I'm not really looking for it but I still have fond memories. I consider it to be one of the most versatile powders out there.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
131 Posts
This sort of segways into another question I had but having posted up two powder questions in a row within a few minutes of each other, I didnt want to post another, BUT, you say you have 10year old Unique? I read in some of the manuals about safe powder handling and storage(yes, I read those) they say to NOT stockpile powder but only have on hand what is in immediate need. Well bologna I say, how can a person not stockpile in times such as these? My oldest powders are only about 6 or 7 years old, stored in conditioned air and kept cool and not exposed to any direct sunlight in their original containers.
I stockpile powder. I understand about the fire and/or explosion hazard but they shouldnt go bad or anything if stored under as optimal as I can make the conditions should they?

No harm in this is there?
I'm still using Unique I bought in '92. Keep it closed, dry and cool its fine as long as the color is uniform, it doesn't clump. In times like the very recent past it's a great powder to have. I've used it in 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 spl, 444 Marlin, 45/70.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
When I started reloading I could cover all of my handgun 'needs' with Bullseye, Unique and 2400. In the passing decades I have tried quite a few other powders and some of them excel for specific purposes so I do keep using them. I like Accurate for it being easier to throw through a measure and it used to be a little less expensive. These days, loading mostly for revolvers (and pretty much all mid-range loads) I could get by with nothing but Unique but the same could be said for No 5 as well.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I started reloading handgun ammo with cast lead bullets in 1967 and Unique was the only powder I had . It did okay for many different calibers .
I have my oldest Lyman 55 powder measure set to drop 5.0 grs. Unique ...
Do you have any idea how many different cartridges can be loaded with a cast bullet and 5.0 grs Unique :
25-20 Win.
30 Mauser
32 S&W Long
32 H&R Magnum
32-20 Win.
380 Auto
9mm Luger
38 Super
38 Special
357 magnum (light plinking-target)
38-40 Win.
40 S&W
41 Special
44 Special

Now that's 14 that I have loaded with cast bullets and 5.0 grs. Unique ... I'm sure there are more !
The most reloaded is 38 Special with a 150 gr. or 158 gr. SWC and 5,0 grs Unique ... most fired and probably the oldest load I established as a keeper and/or "Pet Load" .
I have always liked Unique and will probably not find anything to take it's place ... even though I enjoy trying out new powders ... haven't found one yet !
Gary

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
When I started reloading I could cover all of my handgun 'needs' with Bullseye, Unique and 2400.

Over the years, I have tried hundreds of different powders. I always come back to these three. For handguns, I have rarely found a load that is better than could be assembled with these three powders. I buy these in bulk, and always have at least 8 pounds of each. The bonus is you don’t need any magnum primers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts