Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,561 Posts
Interesting

I started reloading with Win231 for all my non-magnum pistol cartridges.
it’s still my go to powder for 9, .38spl, .40, .45acp

Reactions: fixitagain

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Win231 is a good powder. I think that everyone that started reloading before the internet age was subject to regional availability of certain supplies. The few places near me where supplies were available seemed to mostly carry Alliant powders and Winchester or Cci primers.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wow! This is amazing and do cool!
I started reloading handgun ammo with cast lead bullets in 1967 and Unique was the only powder I had . It did okay for many different calibers .
I have my oldest Lyman 55 powder measure set to drop 5.0 grs. Unique ...
Do you have any idea how many different cartridges can be loaded with a cast bullet and 5.0 grs Unique :
25-20 Win.
30 Mauser
32 S&W Long
32 H&R Magnum
32-20 Win.
380 Auto
9mm Luger
38 Super
38 Special
357 magnum (light plinking-target)
38-40 Win.
40 S&W
41 Special
44 Special

Now that's 14 that I have loaded with cast bullets and 5.0 grs. Unique ... I'm sure there are more !
The most reloaded is 38 Special with a 150 gr. or 158 gr. SWC and 5,0 grs Unique ... most fired and probably the oldest load I established as a keeper and/or "Pet Load" .
I have always liked Unique and will probably not find anything to take it's place ... even though I enjoy trying out new powders ... haven't found one yet !
Gary

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I use a lot of Unique and keep a decent stash on hand at all times. I use it mostly for 45 Colt and 45ACP.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I picked up a couple pounds of Universal when I couldn't find any Unique. So far, I'm liking it. Seems to burn a little cleaner than Unique.
Unless you’re loading to upper pressure loads anything burns cleaner than Unique.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark204

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I found practicing technique in my Uniflo with Unique I can be as consistent as any other. Sharp and consistent sweep of the handle and it meters well.
I recently loaded the 10 year old Unique in 44 magnum behind some 185 gr SNS and they ran real well.
Your technique for getting consistent drops with hard to meter powders is precisely what I have discovered.

H800x is my go to 10mm powder and we all know what it looks like, corn flakes, but I quickly discovered that if I bring the handle up quickly I rarely have an issue. I then started doing the same with all of my extruded rifle powders, works great there too. Thats a good tip for y'all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now I get to see what all the hubub is about.

Seriously though, I did finally catch some in stock at Midway of all places but there was a 2lbs limit. I say "was" because naturally its out of stock now. So I bought 2 pounds of it and a pound of h110 to feed my mag addiction.

I bought it expressly for my 44Spl. I know you can load just about everything with it but where does it really excell? Like you would use Unique and nothing else. What caliber would that be?
For me Unique has been really good for shooting fairly light loads in my 44 magnums, in both revolvers and carbines. I always use 240 gr. cast bullets with about 10 gr. of Unique for revolvers and lever rifles. Plenty of power and range while treating my shoulder with kindness. I am told that a similar powder to Unique is Trail Boss, but I have yet to try it.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,467 Posts
For me Unique has been really good for shooting fairly light loads in my 44 magnums, in both revolvers and carbines. I always use 240 gr. cast bullets with about 10 gr. of Unique for revolvers and lever rifles. Plenty of power and range while treating my shoulder with kindness. I am told that a similar powder to Unique is Trail Boss, but I have yet to try it.
Unique is good for light to medium loads with 240gr bullets in 44mag. Trail Boss is a very fluffy powder intended to provide good loading density for light Cowboy loads. You cannot seat a bullet over enough Trail Boss to get into trouble. The same is not true of Unique.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
I am told that a similar powder to Unique is Trail Boss, but I have yet to try it.
Told wrong :) . Trail Boss is for 'puff' (light) loads. Not similar at all. A max load of TB will 'barely' crack the 1000fps velocity out of a .44 Mag 6 1/2" barrel. A more sane load of TB gets you around 850fps or so.... Your 10gr of Unique under 240gr SWC is moving around 1100fps from 6 1/2" barrel... a medium power load -- not light at all. Powders similar to Unique are Universal, 20/28, BE-86....

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like many here, Unique has had a home near my bench for a very long time.
It's one of those "I started with it, and know it and am not gonna change" things evidently.
I'm just now finishing up some of the last Hercules-brand Unique that I had a quantity of - the prior company before Alliant took over.
Substitutes? - years ago there was a small shop not far from where I lived that kept a large stock of Accurate Arms powders and were far less pricey than most of the powders and other shops.
I got a fair amount of AA powders and find that AA-5 compares very favorably with Unique - and pretty certain it's cleaner. Anyway, still like Unique.
And yep, Midway set the hook on me, bought my 2 pounds. I HATE paying that hazmat fee, but now live in a reloading-supply complete desert. It's online or nothing.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I've used Unique mostly in my .44 Special and .44 Magnum revolvers, as well as my lever action rifle, however, I always use H110 or WW296 full power loads in my Ruger .44 Mag auto carbine, along with 240 grain projectiles HP or other jacketed rounds in order to have full functioning results with ultimate accuracy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Unless you’re loading to upper pressure loads anything burns cleaner than Unique.
So then Unique is better/best at upper levels then? You say it burns cleaner there?

As y'all can see I like accurate powders alot. They make THE best 6.8spc powder, 2200, A5 is a great powder in my 44spl, A9 in mid-upper 44mag, A7 in mid level 10mm. I mean these are somenof the better powders Ive used but then again, Im a realative newb reloader and there are still many I've yet to try in my guns.

The Alliant rifle powders Ive tried are about the best Ive tried in my 6.8 guns though.

Anyone care to offer data for a midrange, low(ish) pressure 44spl with the Unique and a [email protected] or a 200gr rnfp or a 250gr rfhp pb? Im aware of all cautionary edicts in using anothers numbers.👍
I know there are tons of load info out there for Unique but what do you find shoots best for you?
I also have the usual XTP's in 180, 200 and 240gr and some 200gr Speer jhp bullets. I think at this point I actually have more cast than jacketed for my big guns.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
So then Unique is better/best at upper levels then? You say it burns cleaner there?

As y'all can see I like accurate powders alot. They make THE best 6.8spc powder, 2200, A5 is a great powder in my 44spl, A9 in mid-upper 44mag, A7 in mid level 10mm. I mean these are somenof the better powders Ive used but then again, Im a realative newb reloader and there are still many I've yet to try in my guns.

The Alliant rifle powders Ive tried are about the best Ive tried in my 6.8 guns though.

Anyone care to offer data for a midrange, low(ish) pressure 44spl with the Unique and a [email protected] or a 200gr rnfp or a 250gr rfhp pb? Im aware of all cautionary edicts in using anothers numbers.👍
I know there are tons of load info out there for Unique but what do you find shoots best for you?
I also have the usual XTP's in 180, 200 and 240gr and some 200gr Speer jhp bullets. I think at this point I actually have more cast than jacketed for my big guns.
Yes it certainly is cleaner at ITS upper end. But thats probably not exclusive to Unique.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
More pressure ... Burn cleaner. That is the way it is with most powders. I clean my guns, so if Unique burns a wee bit dirtier, I just don't care. Where the bullet lands on target is all the matters.... If you want to see what 'dirty' is really about ... load some black powder loads :) .

As for AA#5, yes it is another good mid-range powder. It meters very well too. Just checked my load table and I marked 'accurate' for every .44 Special load I tested (from 775fps to 1029fps over chronograph) with 240gr SWC. The extreme spread numbers kept going down (a good thing) as the velocity (pressure) went up. That said, looks like I never tested AA#5 in .44Mag... That aught to get corrected!!! Anyway, It's just Unique works good too and I have lots of it.... So I use it.

·
Registered
495 Posts

Seriously though, I did finally catch some in stock at Midway of all places but there was a 2lbs limit. I say "was" because naturally its out of stock now. So I bought 2 pounds of it and a pound of h110 to feed my mag addiction.

I bought it expressly for my 44Spl. I know you can load just about everything with it but where does it really excell? Like you would use Unique and nothing else. What caliber would that be?
I’ve used Unique very successfully 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 38 special. Wonderful powder for those cartridges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Threads like this make me happy I snagged an extra 8lb. jug of Unique when all this started. I paid 185.00 shipped and remember being upset I had to pay so much because the last jug was only 152.00. People complain about how it meters however I currently own two revolvers that will shoot 1.5" and smaller groups at 25 yards. I've had other revolvers that shoot with the same accuracy so being off a tenth of a grain must not be as big a deal as it has been made up to be.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have used Unique in my 357s since the'70s, and don't find it excessively dirty. 5.5 gr under any 150-158 gr swc will chronogrph 860fps, and if I had the desire, I could go to 6 grains. My powder measure is an oooold Pacific Pistol measure...the one with bushings. It is very consistent. That said, I do have a supply of Universal, AA#5, 800X, and Trail Boss... all I could find during the piratical days of $50-60 per lb. powder. I keep my velocities 850-950 fps, which is sufficient for any reasonable purpose, will promote good expansion with modern 125-135gr bullets, and is pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Threads like this make me happy I snagged an extra 8lb. jug of Unique when all this started. I paid 185.00 shipped and remember being upset I had to pay so much because the last jug was only 152.00. People complain about how it meters however I currently own two revolvers that will shoot 1.5" and smaller groups at 25 yards. I've had other revolvers that shoot with the same accuracy so being off a tenth of a grain must not be as big a deal as it has been made up to be.
I’ve loaded 10’s of thousands of rounds with Unique in the past couple years. +/-0.2gr is normal with Unique in a drum measure. Important to keep your loads at least that far from max. The only cartridge I have issue loading with it is 380 ACP. +/-0.2gr is a big swing in a small low pressure charge like that. Because of that, I haven’t tried anything smaller.

8lbs doesn’t last long here. 45’s usually run in batches of 1,500-3,000 at a time. I saved the last 4lbs of Unique I had left and started buying Bullseye and TiteGroup as a crutch when it disappeared. Those two are ok and last forever, but don’t compare to Unique. From a 5” barrel, my 230gr 45 ACP and 250gr 45 colt loads using Berry’s bullets are generating 500 and 555 ft lbs of muzzle energy respectively at normal pressures. These are based on actual chronographed loads, not load data estimates. My Bullseye and TiteGroup loads don’t come close.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Go to Hodgden’s website. They sell direct to customers from there on random powders. It seems ift may be an over run order or such they sell. So sometimes I get lucky. The real challenge is the primers.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts