Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally found some time to take the ole .45 Colt Blackhawk to the range yesterday. My wife and I both shot several cylinders full and I even got to try out the stuff that I am using for CCW. We took the P345 as well, since I had a ton of ammo for it.

What can I say? Where has this gun been all my life? It has handling marks, little dings here and there, the recoil shield isn't exactly smooth, there is wearing on the hammer, etc. But I'll be darned if the the thing didn't shoot exactly where I aimed it! I had taken a straight edge the night before and lined the rear sight up with the front and the sight adjustment screw. Apparently, I did a pretty decent job of it.

Recoil was very manageable and the grips fit my hand perfectly. I was shooting some Winchesters that the range charges way too much for. For defensive carry, I use Federal Champion 225gr Semi-wadcutter hollow points. I shot a cylinder or two of those and they were pretty snappy.

I'm going to have to invest in a .45 ACP cylinder for it or drop some cash on new reloading equipment (my dad has misplaced his old stuff that I used to use). Shooting those .45 Colts will run me into the poor house.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You got to love those Blackhawks, and the .45 in particular! Glad you got a good un!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm going to have to invest in a .45 ACP cylinder for it or drop some cash on new reloading equipment (my dad has misplaced his old stuff that I used to use). Shooting those .45 Colts will run me into the poor house.
Darkness

I got a new .45 Convert and almost choked when I bought a box of .45LC. Instead of buying a second box I bought a Lee Turret along with various associated hardware and am now turning out 45LC at about 9 bucks a box.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I really liked the Dark Tower books, though they were mighty slow at times. I even went 'nerd' and got personalized plates for my car. They read:

GN5LNGR

As far as reloading goes, I am keeping an eye on some auctions and definitely looking at options. Heck, even my wife agrees it would be a good investment. Plus, I'll be able to load up some rounds that are a little warmer than factory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the reloading gear. 45 Colt is just about the most versatile pistol cartridge you can load. Anything is possible from 200 grain bullets at 600 fps for plinking up to 300(+) grain bullets at 1200 fps or more for large game. When you load your own (and especially if you cast your own bullets) it is inexpensive to shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts