Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finest Ruger Revolver

I have owned many fine revolvers; The smoothest being a Colt King Cobra. In the Ruger stable Blackhawks; Vaquero's; a GP 100 and handled and shot many other models. However, of all the Rugers I have had the pleasure to make the acquaintance, the New Vaquero has got to be the finest revolver Sturm Ruger has ever produced.

Once I lubricated and began working the action; the grins have not stopped. Hopefully I will produce a range report once all my accessories have been acquired and a few 45 LC loads have been worked up. In the mean time here is a pic of my latest revolver.

New Vaquero 45 LC
San Pedro Saddlery "Duke" Holster
Rounds: 300 gr Hornady XTP, 10 gr Universal, Winchester brass and primers

These are heavy loads I worked up for my Birdshead Vaquero; will probably go with a 260 gr Elmer Keith cast; w/ 7-8 gr Universal. The cup on the 10gr Universal loads are pushing 30k and may indeed exceed it; until I know for sure I plan to back all my 45 loads down a little. YMMV

A little more clarification; I have always found that Rugers tend to be the blue collar "working" pistol. They tend to be heavy, a little clunky in the action and are totally bomb proof. A true tool for the field. The New Vaquero IMHO takes the Ruger revolver to the next level of refinement found in Colt and S&W; without sacrificing Rugers dependability and working nature. It's truly one of the best revolvers I have ever had the pleasure to own. YMMV

Regards

Rod

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have to agree, I believe my 5.5 NV .45 is as fine of a pistol as I've ever owned

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Hey partner, congratulations on your new Vaquero and welcome to the forum.

Those are some nice photos too. Is the lever gun chambered for .45 Colt?

If so you've really got a winning combination. :)

I have a stainless Blackhawk Flattop .45 convertible. It utilizes the same "medium" frame as the "New" Vaquero. It too is fun to shoot, both .45 Colt and .45 acp.

Again, welcome aboard! And, we'll be looking forward to that range report. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a model 94 winchester 45 LC. Crescent butt with a 20" tapered octagon barrel. You are right, it is a great combo.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Nice! Very nice! You can't go wrong with .45 Colt. I have a Vaquero instead of the New Vaquero, but do have two medium frame flattop convertibles in .45 Colt/.45 ACP. Was just out today with one of them shooting the Rugerforum.net contest . These medium frame revolvers do shoot well, but NOT Ruger Only .45 Colt Loads of course. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nice firearms and nice photos!:) I have to agree on the New Model Ruger Vaqueros. I have a stainless Sheriffs model in 44 special, and it has a very nice action and the balance and handling is great with the smaller frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad you are happy with your gun, but if you ever get your hands on a nice condition, unconverted Old Model Blackhawk, you'll know that It is the finest of all. I have two that are in like new condition, and prefer them even over my Freedom Arms Model 97.

Lawyers ruin everything in time!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition! I have three NMBH's (.357, .44 Special, and .45 LC). At the top of my wish list is to get the gun you just got and the .357 NV. I know the OV's are bigger and stronger, but that's what my BH's are for. I want these lighter more streamlined versions...."the next level of refinement," as you put it. I wouldn't trade my BH's (the work horses), but those NV's are special (maybe like Arabians).

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Congrat's...hope you enjoy for many years to come!!! I love seeing matched ammo guns...my preference is .357 Mag!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Congrat's...hope you enjoy for many years to come!!! I love seeing matched ammo guns...my preference is .357 Mag!
+1 I went with .357 as well due to price. The only thing holding me from getting a Vaquero in 45 colt is the price of ammo! It just fits to have a cowboy gun in a cowboy caliber! If only I reloaded... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Although I didn't mention it in my first post; the indexed pawl of the cylinder when opening the loading gate is sweet. No more half cock of the hammer. Loading and ejecting spent cartridges is much more efficient and safer. YMMV

Rod

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Very nice, The case hardened color is really nice. My Vaqureo SS 357 mag is one of my favorites and goes to the range every time I go. IMHO they are some of the finest revolvers Ruger makes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hans
Getting into reloading is almost the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
I reload for my vaq in 45 and my P89.They shoot about anything I load for it. You can get a single stage press, scales and powder measure for 250.00 Spend the money and get an RCBS Uniflow powder measure. Its got to be the best one on the market.
Powder, primers, bullets and brass are all you need once you get going. I cast my own bullets from wheel weights. 2 cavity molds run 25.00 from Lee. I use a Coleman propane burner and a stainless steel bowl for melting my lead. Dies for different calibers run 30.00 each. Go for it, you wont be disappointed.

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
+1 I went with .357 as well due to price. The only thing holding me from getting a Vaquero in 45 colt is the price of ammo! It just fits to have a cowboy gun in a cowboy caliber! If only I reloaded... :rolleyes:
The last time I looked they were still selling the equipment to reload. Just sayin' . :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow what a beautiful revolver! You are justified to be proud of that piece. I agree Ruger makes 'workingman's firearms': not always the prettiest or the fanciest, just good solid craftsmanship that gets the job done.
Enjoy and shoot safe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts