Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was looking for white polish but think I settled on "White Out" when I was skunk trapping a while back. I was putting them to sleep with a 10-22.

And I used white model paint on a pistol once but I can't remember why, exactly.

On another occasion we used a cutoff hat pin and superglue to put a front sight on a Shotgun my buddy was using. We used a pearl nail polish and I think he's still using it. That was about ten years ago and he shotgun hunts quite a lot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I applied orange paint to ramp sights on my SP101 and LCR. Orange contrasts well with most backgrounds; however, it is difficult against the red center of silhouette targets. I have to align my sights to the right of the center and then traverse left.

I like the three dot system on my SR9C: one dot on the front sight and two on the rear. I don't see a need to paint my SR9C front sight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had not heard of that approach. The 3-dot on the SR seems bright enough, but might try that on one of the others. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't wear nail polish, But my wife does. I was beginning to wonder if I plugged into the wrong site here. All this talk of high visibility, contrasting colors, electric pink Revlon... I started to get scared ....very very scared.......:D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Brisk, everyone has a dark side. In this case some have a Revlon Electric Pink, white and various other sides.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
I just taped off the front sight on my LCP and used some good ole Krylon in white.:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do any or all of these have a tendency to chip, flake, or rub off. It's funny you should be talking about this as I was just thinking this evening about trying to find out what some of the gun manuf. used on their sights so I could apply some on my handguns that don't have any. ( I'm not getting old, I'm just getting OLDER, there is a difference IMO ) and the front sight is getting a little harder to make out against some backgrounds.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i picked up some cheap nail polish at Walmart. I used irridescent green on the front sight and a very bright orange on the rear of my SP-101. I can pick up the sights a lot quicker now and if the stuff wears off, I just add a little more. About $1.50 a bottle.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
There are two other options.
1) "Painters" NEON (they also have non-neon) markers. WallyWorld, cloth/hobbies section $10 for five colors. Work very well.
2) "Bright Sights" - High visibility gun sight paint. I think I got mine at Midway. A bit of a pain to use, but are quite effective.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yesterday I bought some bright orange, maybe flourescent, it was the brightest I could find, nail polish. $2.99 so if I don't like it Im not out much.
With the older eyes I find those black sights on my Super Blackhawk a challenge. And since it's 30 years old there is no good option for changeing out the front sight.
I also build and shoot flintlocks and those sights dissappear quick in the evening woods. So, I've been thinking about this for awhile.
I have the full set of "Bright Sight" paint and gave it a good try. I don't like it. It never really hardened on the sight, sorta rubbery, and while visible it didn't last and wasn't real bright to start with. That was on a flintlock with great care being taken with the front sight.
I just can't see it standing up to the wear from a holster. But nail polish is tough stuff and it should do the trick. I'll find out this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
My method is to put a base coat white nail polish down, then a flourescent orange acrylic paint and finally a clear top coat nail polish. I have also used the same method but with glow in the dark paint for the middle coat with mixed results. The GID shows white unless charged by a light source and then it is green. At the range the white tends to blend in with the target background for me. I like the orange contrast much better. The three step process give a good hard finish that out lasts just a coat of paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts