Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here tried finger nail polish to enhance the iron sights of course for better visibility?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have. I use it on my sp101 and vaquero. I shoot them alot better with the rear sight notch blacked out. I need to find a more permanent solution. The fingernail polish doesn't survive cleaning after a range session.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've used nail polish as a form of lock-tite before. What I have used on the front sight is model airplane paint.

·
Registered
576 Posts
On the front sight, I used Glo-It, a Luminescent Paint Medium. Kind of a yellow-green color. Cheaper than Trijicons. On a fixed sight gun like a SP-101, it is really nice. The front sight then "glows in the dark." I like it. I cannot remember where I bought it. I think in a crafts store.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ron get me all worked up abut this here paint and then you drop that line I can't remember where I bought it. I use nail polish as lock tight for scopes and orange never thought of that on the front sight will have to try that.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
thanks stainless, this forum has just gotten better with you aboard also looking out for all of us. Why to go pay.

·
Registered
693 Posts
No, that's different thing. It's pretty bright afterdark and almost unnoticeable at daylight. The one Stainless mentioned works opposite, and easily be found at any WalMart type of store. I bought glowing green and orange acrylic for a $1.05 per bottle. That quantity is enough for an entire city arsenal. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most glow in the dark paints need to be exposed to light before they glow (like your watch hands). Since I keep my KP345 in the bedside table drawer I am wondering if the sights will be glowing when I pull it out in the middle of the night. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Krankypants, basically if a paint contains some glowing agent such as non-radioactive phosphor; it needs to be charged with direct light. Won't be able to see glow-in-the-dark otherwise. ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the front site painted orange on my K-22 Masterpiece. It makes it a lot easier to get a good sight picture. I went to the dollar store after Halloween and picked up a bottle of white and a bottle of orange nail polish. I put on two coats of white first to help the orange show up better and then two coats of orange. It's been on there for 4 years now and has never needed a touch up.

·
Registered
693 Posts
hi. iam 67 and have been useing finger nail polish on guns for ever, but over the last few years, i use glow paint. have a nice night ever one. p.s. you can get at any hobby shop.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I use a "luminous" paint that I got at WalMart for painting the curb or mailbox. It's about $5 for a pint. I have a lifetime supply of sight paint. :D

I'm "Old School" and used to use WhiteOut on my front sights back in the day. My Off Duty EDC and BUG have this paint on their front sight. My S&W 686 has one of those "glow tube" type sights, and except for being red, I prefer green, is a great sight too. I'm just too lazy to change it since I don't carry the dang thing.

My "bottomfeeders" have Night Sights, but I think that if it's too dark to see your sights it's too dark to identify your target. Hence, I keep a Surfire next to my bedside gun, which is my Off Duty EDC.

Biker

·
Banned
282 Posts
Day glow paint, works like a champ.

·
Count Ursunk
3,317 Posts
i wonder if someone makes something like a "snap on " colored front sight for a sbh?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
sheepdog wonder if they sell it by the gallon lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts