Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been eyeballing the M1 replica 10/22 for a while, and today I am trying to trade in a few of my less used guns to get it. I know that is like a cardinal sin, but my only resolution this year is to reduce stuff to what I really use, so I have been trading off stuff and selling a few things I don't really use to get fewer nicer toys.

I am trading in a well used but totally cool police trade-in High Standard Riot 12 gauge like Steve McQueen used in The Getaway, my old trusty Mossberg 146B (don't expect to get much for it cause the stock was butchered), and a CVA hunter .223 break action single shot which I am not sure why I bought in the first place.

I will let you know how it goes. Hoping to be as close to an even trade as I can get.

·
Exchequer
4,576 Posts
Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got it!! I traded in my really beat up (great character) high standard riot 12 gauge, my Mossberg 146B (which ironically was the one I started the ugly gun you can’t sell thread about), and a CVA Hunter .223 single shot that I don’t know why I bought. Got $300 for those, and $95 more, walked out the door with this beauty!

I love it! The stock is pretty well made, and very lightweight. I had to get a 10 round mag cause I live in a commie state. Only thing I can’t figure out is how to put a sling on it. The front band is simple, but from what I have seen of M1 carbines, there’s a pin that the rear of the sling wraps around. This stock doesn’t have any such pin. Anyone have ideas on the sling? Manual didn’t have anything, didn’t even show this model in it.

I like the sights on it, they’re close to the ones on my mini 14, and like my mini 14, they’re already loose on the rear sight lol.

I think I may put tech sights on this one. I like the look of those.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
NICE!

Especially with the new 10/22 clone from S&W, seems like it SHOULD BE LOW HANGING FRUIT for Ruger to just make the M1 version an easy order. Not holding my breath.

Enjoy. Very cool!

·
Major
1,624 Posts
The sling is held in the stock by the Oiler container. Absent that, a piece of 1/2"dowel will work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the real M1 carbine, the pin you speak was an oiler used to lube the gun.

I have the same gun as you and bought a piece of dowel from Depot, stained it brown and wrapped the sling around that. You will need to get a M1 Carbine type sling.

There are a few Youtube videos that show how the M1 carbine sling works.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked up the sling, and figured out the oiler thing right after I posted this. Thanks for the replies :)

I may put tech sights on in the future, but for now, the sling, oiler, and ammo pouch.
I also want to condition the stock with Tung oil or something similar- it seems "dry" to me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to make a paracord sling with this one like my others. Used a 3/8” wood pin in the buttstock, and the factory loop on the front. I like it. Now I just need a slip on military green buttstock pouch for it :)

My P238 with custom made “US” 1911 style grips for a show piece with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
NICE!

Especially with the new 10/22 clone from S&W, seems like it SHOULD BE LOW HANGING FRUIT for Ruger to just make the M1 version an easy order. Not holding my breath.

Enjoy. Very cool!
Ain't that the truth! While they''re at it make one with the Thompson "squad leader" type stock.

A Sten Mk5 version would be nice too RUGER, if even possible. Not sure what they could do about having the mag coming out the side vice the bottom.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice rifle! Cheep red dot will go on and off easy to mix up your shooting fun. Keep it low if you do it.
I might try an "open" red dot on this one... i have a tru glow 5 mil dot on my takedown, and its great at 25 yds, not very great at 50 yds lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
I saw one at an LGS. Looks pretty darn close. I know it would be an extra step but Ruger could go one further and parkerize it. Shouldn't be too hard with a home kit, although matching the receiver might be a challenge. Maybe Cerakote both?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw one at an LGS. Looks pretty darn close. I know it would be an extra step but Ruger could go one further and parkerize it. Shouldn't be too hard with a home kit, although matching the receiver might be a challenge. Maybe Cerakote both?
Cerakote would be a good option. The shop I bought this from does all kinds of custom cerakoting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got out and shot it this weekend! What a sweetheart of a gun! Took a little to dial in where I needed to look through the sights but every bit as accurate and reliable as any other 10/22 (and why shouldn't it be? It's a factory action). Used some BX-15 mags, and my tandemkross doublekross, shot Blazer lead round nose, minimags, standard velocity CCI, and even some CB shorts (had to manually cycle the bolt for those, but I had to try them)

Here is a video if anyone is interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts