Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my concealed carry class today. Went from 8am to 6:30pm. I learned a lot in the class about how to hold and shoot a pistol accurately. I also learned a lot of techniques for concealed carry. We did our qualifying inside an indoor range, something I've never done before. It was extremely loud in there and very hot since the A/C was apparently broken. I managed to keep all my shots inside the center circle except for one flier which went off in the white, I'm pretty sure my hand slipped from sweat on that one. The CW9 kicks a considerable amount because of how small and light it is so it was hard to hold onto when I was sweating so bad. Some grip tape may be in that gun's future.

Overall great experience. If any Kentuckians on here don't have their CCDW license yet I suggest going to Antique and Modern Firearms and talking to Steve Fore about it. It really was a lot of fun and much more educational than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Congratulations! Have had my KY CCW for many years now. Glad to see another good guy with their CCW!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for doing it and welcome....I think it was Deputy125 who cuts bicycle inner tube and stretches it over the grip to get traction...I forget the thread I saw it on...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Congratulations! Glad you learned lots and hope you get to practice with it lots, but never have to use it for its intended purpose. :D

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Congratulations - one more good guy who refuses to be a victim!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took the NRA approved basic pistol course a couple of months ago and the instructor allowed those of us that were interested to stay for an hour after the class and talk about concealed carry. They also have a concealed carry course that I might be interested in, but I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what this course covers and if it would be beneficial to spend the money to take it. I'm sure each course varies (mainly because of the instructor), but wanted some general info on what to expect. Perhaps David could enlighten me (and others that are curious) as to the nature of this class.

Conley

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It varies from state to state but in Kentucky the class is very easy. You'll spend either two evenings or one full day doing the class. 1/2 the class is watching a video where 4 government officials will read you the laws (poorly). The rest of the time will be instruction in proper gun safety, gun care, gun maintenance, marksmanship, nomenclature, and a little bit about concealing. Then at the very end you have a 25 question exam which is open book (you won't need it, it's too easy) followed by a trip to a range for qualifying. Qualifying is pretty much a joke. You have a huge Police size silhouette to shoot at, you have to hit the black with 11 out of 20 shots at 7 yards. I kept all of my shots inside the center ring except for one flier.

I learned a lot in the class about more than just concealed carry. I also learned the best way to clean a gun and what all the parts of the gun are actually called. I finally learned the difference between lock-breach and blowback semi-autos and what the actual difference is between clips and magazines. It was a great learning experience.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
we use bike tubes on saddle horns as well keep the rope from burning up the leather on the horn and does give a postive lock onnthe dally as well.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I've had a Florida CCW since the Right to Carry was enacted back in 1987.Last year my wife got her FL CCW.We recently relocated to N.W. Mississippi. The beginning of May we finally got down there for the ritual of applying for our MS permits. They only do gun permits on Mondays.We went on Monday April 30th finding a sign on the door saying that this office will be closed on April 30th in "Observance of Civil War Memorial Day" That was a new one on us.So we ended up making a couple trips.No big deal,it was only about 40-45 miles each way LOL.I called before our second trip down making sure it wasn't Patsy Cline day.It takes 120 days to receive them, and we were told pretty much don't expect them before then.We just passed our 90 mark.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Well we finally got our Mississippi CCW's. It took exactly 4 months to the day from when we applied back on May 7th.We're good to go for the next 4 years.They sure take their time issuing them.Florida usually gets them out within 60 days or so.It took 120 days here.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
David the Gnome---Congratulations to you, Thanks for standing up and being willing to join in
the growing numbers of those like you and us. Proud of you---hope you never have to use it in
the worst extreme.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Snuffy
First Sergeant

USA
1295 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 16:32:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we use bike tubes on saddle horns as well keep the rope from burning up the leather on the horn and does give a postive lock onnthe dally as well.

I use Mule Hide on my saddlehorn and stack my dallies. :)

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Glad the wait's over, Ruger Redhawk...120 looooong days!!!
Thanks. It was a loooong 120 days. Especially when you're use to packin for years. Then being told once we got our MS driver's Licenses it voided our FL permits.I have a hard time understanding that since MS honors FL's permits. It's a done deal now.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It's lawyers...attorneys general...who are generally a..holes...with more ego than brains...some won't give an inch...Texas' atty general once told a Shreveport Police Lt. that if he got caught carrying in Tx, they'd lock him up and mail his badge back to Shreveport...what an a.. long ago-probably drooling down his shirt somewhere that smells of pee now....

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, Crist (Thank God).

It's probably in the mail. Mine took less than 30 days. If you're really antsy you can call them at (850) 245-5691 to check the status. I bet the ladies there have my SSN down by memory since I called EVERY day after the first week

Conley

1 - 20 of 21 Posts