Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my nmbh with a Qualite Birdshead grip and a Bisley hammer. The fitting has not bad at all. I had to take about .250 off the back of the hammer, that's some tough steel.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
looks mighty nice!
And it is the 1st adj sight birdhead that i've seen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks to be an excellent conversion, bet it feels good in your hand.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,434 Posts
Looking good!! I have one of the brass birdshead grip frames on my list of stuff to order from Brownell's. I'm glad you posted pictures because I wanted to see what a finished 4 5/8" BH would look like. I do think I'll order the black grips, not that yours aren't pretty .... I think black would contrast better with the brass. That Bisley hammer looks pretty snazzy too!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.
I need to take some material off the hammer at the transfer bar contact, the trigger return can be a little sticky at times.

Iowegan, I had to flip a coin choosing the grip color, they sure are proud of just the grips, $60! I'm looking for a large hunk of Buffalo horn to make a set of grips, that well stink up the shop for days!

·
16,434 Posts
madcratebuilder, I know what you mean about stinking up the shop. I fitted a set of elk stags a while back. My shop smelled like burning chicken feathers for a week.

sfcmathieson, That's a brass grip frame ... very attractive, especially on a 4 5/8" Ruger.

I have a near new stainless Birdshead grip frame complete with black (actually dark gray) Micarta grips. It's also a Qualite brand with a shiny finish. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. You too could have a Madcrate special!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
That's a BEAUTY for sure! I'm a bit surprised to see a "Birds Head" style back strap for a Black Hawk. (Didn't know anyone made them)
I think I'd like to see this done to a Black Hawk in .45 Colt with the milled rear sight (as opposed to the adjustable), with a three inch barrel. :D
-Bruce

·
16,434 Posts
Ballenxj, Ruger made a special run of Vaqueros for Davidson's in 45 Colt called the "Sheriff's Model" with a 3 5/8" barrel and birdshead grip frame. Pretty slick guns but they are quite scarce.

Something most Ruger owners don't know ... all Ruger grip frames are interchangeable on all NM SAs from the Single-Six up to the Super Blackhawk to include the Vaquero. The grip frames for Single-Sixes and Blackhawks are identical for the same vintage guns. NM Super Blackhawks are larger and take different grips but they can sill be installed on a NM Single-Six or Blackhawk. The only exception is the Bisley where the hammer hump must be removed or a different hammer must be installed before a non-Bisley grip frame will work. A Bisley grip frame will work on a non-Bisley gun but there will be a large gap at the base of the hammer unless you use a Bisley hammer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Madcratebuilder, that is one sweet Ruger. I have a .41 mag that I have wanting to do some customization on. You have given me some serious inspiration. Perhaps I'll photograph it as a project and post it when I'm finished. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts