Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my 870 to the range yesterday for the first time and had a blast (pun intended). got to talking to the safety officer, and he told me that they recently approved a shotgun tracer shell made by fiocchi. apparently, fiocchi reps came to the range and demo-ed it, and it got approved by the range. can't seem to find them anywhere so far, either here in town or online. anybody else hear about these and/or where to get them? as a shotgun newbie, i can totally see where these could improve my performance in a big way.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have several boxes of no. 8 12 guage shells loaded by Fiocchi with tracer wads, the boxes are stamped with a date from 1992 which means they could be older than me! The tracers never light on them, leading me to think they were stored improperly or just went dead with age, but i got them for $5 a box at the trading post, which means they are still good practice shells. I don't see much point to them, since you usually can see a shotgun wad in flight, and also the wad drops away from the shot column quickly and often spins off in a loop, so if the tracer was with the wad it might not be too helpful! But i could see how it would help improve instinctive shooting, like watching your arrow from a recurve.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have several boxes of no. 8 12 guage shells loaded by Fiocchi with tracer wads, the boxes are stamped with a date from 1992 which means they could be older than me! The tracers never light on them, leading me to think they were stored improperly or just went dead with age, but i got them for $5 a box at the trading post, which means they are still good practice shells. I don't see much point to them, since you usually can see a shotgun wad in flight, and also the wad drops away from the shot column quickly and often spins off in a loop, so if the tracer was with the wad it might not be too helpful! But i could see how it would help improve instinctive shooting, like watching your arrow from a recurve.
i think this is a new 'cold' tracer they just developed. don't know much more but am intrigued. the range safety officer was there when they demo-ed and they walked out to find shot still glowing laying in the dirt. i think the 'cold' whatever that really means, is the reason for the development and probably the approval at my local range

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Very interesting! New stuff like that always gets me going! GAAA! Too many things in this shooting game to learn about and try!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got a box. It's a cyalume wad. Hard to see in bright sunlight or with a bright backdrop. You need an overcast day/dark background to really see them. OTOH, a few in your pocket if you get lost while bird hunting might be helpful.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a box. It's a cyalume wad. Hard to see in bright sunlight or with a bright backdrop. You need an overcast day/dark background to really see them. OTOH, a few in your pocket if you get lost while bird hunting might be helpful.
ok, so how did you get your hands on them? i can't find them anywhere here in vegas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts